Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Application need a little help!

Options
  • 19-11-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Quick question, I'm filling in one of the new firearms cert application forms for a .22 rifle.

If I tick the 'Firearm Certificate box' on section 1, do I need to be a member of a gun club?
    I will be filling in details of a farmer who has given me permission in section 5.2.

Is that OK, or do I need to tick the 'Limited Firearm Certificate box' in section 1?

I will appreciate your advice, I'm new to filling in these forms!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Firearm cert is fine. you do not need to be a member of a club if you have permissions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

Thanks for that Ezridax

On the other addresses section.

It asks at the end of section 2.1, 'Have you ever lived another address?' I am filling in my current address and I expect they also require my previous home/family address where I grew up?

What if you have lived at 6 or more addresses (work activity dictating place of residence for last 15 years or so), do they expect all those also?

I lived at 4 addresess throughout my life. I gave them my current one and the previous one. Both cover nearly 20 years. I only gave addresses i lived at when i owned a firerarm. That make sense?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

get written letter of permission from a farmer and staple a copy of this in the form, also write all of your previous home addresses on a seperate sheet as you have nothing to hide and staple this in form, if you dont put them down they might pull you up on it and delay your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johnner1 wrote: »
    get written letter of permission from a farmer and staple a copy of this in the form, also write all of your previous home addresses on a seperate sheet as you have nothing to hide and staple this in form, if you dont put them down they might pull you up on it and delay your application.

I have resided at many different addresses over the years since coming to your charming little green isle. I can't remember all of them.
    Just put down the last few that will be enough. IMO.

• Advertisement

johnner1 wrote: »
    .......if you dont put them down they might pull you up on it and delay your application.

Doubtful. I supplied 2 adresses and got all my licenses, no problems. Don't overthink these questions lads. I resided at 3 other adressess for work purposes but none were my permanent residences and none had any post going to them for me. Home addressess is all you need. The previous adressess will be compared against your name for any summonsess, arrest warrants etc, (IMO) All adressess back to your first firearm will sufffice.

Its not being sneaky or sly but why would they want to know where you lived when you were 2 if you've moved house 2,3,4,5,6 times. If you feel uncomfortable then supply all adressess.

I seem to have confirmed that I can tick the 'Firearm Certificate box' in section 1 without being a member of a gunclub, by using permission from farmer/land owners to shoot on their land, which I have.

But when I go to section 5.2 'Farm/Land Nomination Details' it says this section is to be completed if applying for a 'Limited Certificate'. Now I am confused, can I fill in this section if applying for a 'Firearm Certificate' or can I only apply for 'Limited Certificate' as this seems to suggest????

I think this new form is very unclear in places!

You don't need to fill in section 5.2 if you intend you apply for a "full" firearms certificate. In section 5.1 they ask do you intend to use the firearm being sought for the purpose of hunting/killing exempted wild mammals under the wildlife act 1976. You tick yes here, but as you are not hunting anything that requires a license (deer, etc) you do not need to seek a license for hunting. Just attach your permissions on the supplementary sheet with all the other extra information you need to supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

leave it blank and staple your permission letters to the same page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ezridax wrote: »
    You don't need to fill in section 5.2 if you intend you apply for a "full" firearms certificate. In section 5.1 they ask do you intend to use the firearm being sought for the purpose of hunting/killing exempted wild mammals under the wildlife act 1976. You tick yes here, but as you are not hunting anything that requires a license (deer, etc) you do not need to seek a license for hunting. Just attach your permissions on the supplementary sheet with all the other extra information you need to supply.

I don't think that's correct Ezridax, The only exempted mammals under section 24 of the Wildlife Act that I know of are deer and hares.

There's only been a few orders under that section; one in 1977 after the act was passed and it just lists the deer species and hares and there was one last year by John Gormley of all people adding muntjac deer to the list.

You can search for it under 'open season order'.

So unless you're going to shoot deer or hares you tick NO on 5.1

• Advertisement

You may be right, but i was passing on an opinion given to me by a few people. The majority of my firearms are been used for target work. The hunting rifle is obviously for hunting and i attached the deer license and ticked yes. For one of the shotguns i was going to tick no but was advised to tick yes. As the quarry i would be hunting do not require licenses and are covered under "open season" i ticked yes and got the license through.

Realistically i don't know if ticking the box "yes" will create a problem where none exists but all i can say is it didn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

can anyone clear this up, i have the same problem, do i thick yes or no in 5.1, and what do i do with 5.2 attach a letter of permission or fill in the section

jap gt wrote: »
    can anyone clear this up, i have the same problem, do i thick yes or no in 5.1, and what do i do with 5.2 attach a letter of permission or fill in the section

Are you shooting deer or hares with the firearm?

Myself and rrpc may be on differnt views about ticking the box but section 5.2 is for limited cert applications, so permissions attached to your application will do for this.

If in doubt about 5.1 tick "no". My mate across the road from me ticked "no" on this and uses his rifle and shotgun for hunting only. Got his licenses no problem.

I'll elaborate ;)

5.1 specifies exempted mammals under the wildlife act 1976. Those are defined by an order under section 24 or 25 of that act. Those orders (statutory instruments) only name deer species and hares.

So unless you are hunting hare or deer with that particular firearm (and you have a licence from the NPWS to do so) tick NO in 5.1.

There are no other 'exempted' mammals defined by the wildlife act.

5.2 is only completed if you are applying for a limited firearms certificate (shotgun only) which is for shooting vermin on farm land and used to be known as the farmer's licence. As there is no special rate any more, I doubt the usefulness of this particular type of licence as it is (as it's name suggests) limited in it's scope.

If you are applying for a rifle licence for hunting small game and vermin, then you are applying for a firearms certificate (usually) and will attach landowners permission letters to the form and will not need to fill in 4.3, 4.4, 5.1 or 5.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thanks for clearing that up

Thanks for the help

I stand to be corrected possibly but I think you would still have to tick the NO box in section 5.1 though and not leave it open ended, if you are getting a Firearm Cert for hunting small game and vermin.

But as suggested I will leave sections 4.3, 4.4 and 5.2 blank.

nip102 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help

I stand to be corrected possibly but I think you would still have to tick the NO box in section 5.1 though and not leave it open ended, if you are getting a Firearm Cert for hunting small game and vermin.

But as suggested I will leave sections 4.3, 4.4 and 5.2 blank.

Sorry should have made that clear at the end. I did say it earlier in the post:
    rrpc wrote:
    So unless you are hunting hare or deer with that particular firearm (and you have a licence from the NPWS to do so) tick NO in 5.1.

Advertisement