Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Water in Tropical Tank ?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Could anyone point me to a good device that test nitrates, ammonia etc in my communal tank .

I have bought some guppies and know they do not tolerate high ammonia levels.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your local pet store should have all of these kits available. Usually you take a sample I think, and mix it some solution. Like CSI, but for fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

You can usually buy a master test kit in any good pet shop and it will consist of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH tests. API are an alright brand to use for Freshwater. It should cost about €50. Have the guppies gone into the same tank that had whitespot last week? I'd hope not. As I said the treatment for whitespot should be about a month. 3 weeks of medicating then 1 week for tha tank to get back to normal. If yo have added them to the whitespot infected tank I don't think they will survive as Guppies are not the most hardy when it comes to living through medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi J14 , you have a good memory :) The wite spot cleared up with the trick of raising the temperature. I changed the water about 25% and waited about a week now I added the guppies .

I am delighted with them , they had such life to tank - they are beautiful colours.

They seem happy out but I want to protect them as much as possible as I dont want any more fatalities.

Advertisement