Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choppy, Jerky, Slow video playback in Windows 7

• 19-11-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

I'm watching mainly .avi and .mpeg files. I've tried using both WMP12 and the latest version of VLC player. I tried disabling Aero but that doesnt seem to make much difference. I never had any problems in XP. My spec is as follows

Intel Core i5 Quad Processor i5-750 2.66 GHz
    MSI P55-GD80, P55, Socket-1156, DDR3
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 4GB
    nVidia GTX280

Anyone else had problems like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

For that system you should have no problems,
    Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?
    Personally I don't like vlc or wmp12 for videos,try gom player much better for video files and free. http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html

Do you use and codec packs?
    I don't use them myself only the divX mkv preview pack
    http://labs.divx.com/mkvwin7preview (scroll to Downloading the tech preview)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nah don't use any codecs. When I installed Windows 7 I let it pick out and install the forceware drivers for my Graphics Card which may or may not have been a good idea? I've been playing games fine though. I dont have a HD monitor or any HD media so I presume that divX mkv preview pack would be pointless for me? I'll give gomlab a go when I get home later, cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You might want to try also K-lite codec pack, Full version for the lot.
    Found here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well I thought the whole idea of media players like VLC was that you wouldnt need to install any more codecs because they were already built in? I remember a few years ago I had ridiculous amounts of codecs installed which built up and up and then started conflicting with each other, it was a nightmare. Eventually I just had to format and re-install. Ever since then I've been quite wary of codecs and codec packs. Also just looking at the k-lite content and there is some amount of junk included that would never be used by a regular user.

EDIT: Just want to add that watching videos is not impossible its just there is noticeable stuttering particularly when a camera is panning across a scene or there is a lot going on in a scene

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Download the latest nVidia drivers. Windows generally picks older drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm getting something similar but it's related to the wireless connection. When it's connecting up to the network which is quite often as there's something wrong somewhere. It causes video and audio in WMP to stutter.

Advertisement