Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burns V Arden Grange

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing food. Narrowed it down to Burns and Arden Grange. Which do you think is better? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

this may help (if the foods are on there) www.dogfoodanalysis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They're both decent brands. I'd try both - see which one suit the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

olaola wrote: »
    They're both decent brands. I'd try both - see which one suit the best.

This is a good idea - perhaps try them on a small bag of each and see how it goes.

From experience, my lot do better on Arden Grange. I found if difficult to get my hands on, couldn't find anywhere that does it online and any of the pet shops near me don't stock it. My vet stocks Burns so it's easy for me to get, but I prefer to feed them something else. I usually buy a bag of Burns if I can't get anything else at the time. I'm not saying it's a bad food, not at all, it's just that with my dogs everything isn't as solid as it should be while they are on it. We are currently at the arse end of a bag of Burns and they are looking (and generally doing) great, it simply wouldn't be my first prefrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I had my fella on burns.. he ate it but i wasnt happy with he's poops so i switched him to arden range and he's flyin on it
    its trial and error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think it also depends on what age/breed of dog it is. Some breeds have different requirements to others. Trial and error but remember to change over slowly and don't swap back too quick either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to go with Burns. I got some samples and the dogs liked the food. I got a 7.5kg bag to try out over the coming weeks.

From all the posts it seems both AG and Burns are good foods. I went for Burns because:

* I like the holistic approach Burns take.
    * The ingredients are fixed with Burns, they don't change and they are simplistic i.e. 'Chicken and Brown Rice is 46% rice and 20% chicken'. I use to feed my 2 dogs Red Mills Leader but the ingredients are listed as 'meat derivatives, etc' so one doesn't know exactly what you are getting.
    * With Red Mills (also with Arden Grange) I had to buy 2 bags of food everytime: 1 regular Adult and the other Senior. With Burns one bag does young and old.
    * My local pet store stocks Arden Grange but anytime I checked the stock it wasn't replenished frequently. I can get Burns from a local vet. He says he always has it in stock, if not he can order it in and I'll get it the next day.
    * With Burns the feeding guidelines suggest I feed less grams per dog. Value wise this works out better than Red Mills or Arden Grange. So a bag of Burns feed lasts longer and I am also saving money.
    * Also price wise I can get a 7.5kg bag of Burns for 25 euro. Arden Grange 7.5kg is 32.50 euro.

So hopefully Burns works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

ya can get a 15kg bag of burns for bout 42 euro from zooplus uk delivered to your front door.:D

42 euro for a 15kg bag of Burns is a good price from zooplus.

The cheapest I can get a 15kg bag of Burns locally for is 47 euro.

With the feeding guidelines suggested by Burns it would take my 2 dogs two months to get thru a 15kg bag. It's probably just me but I always think that this is too long to have a bag opened as the food will go stale. And then my dogs start to turn their noses up at the food!

I prefer to get a smaller bag of food. Zooplus only do 2kg and 15kg - no 7.5kg.

Also to top it off, if I can get something locally and the price is reasonable I would prefer to do that rather than ordering over the web. Plus ordering over the web means wasting a day waiting for the delivery.

i got two bins in my shed (freebies from Maxizoo on their offers) these are air tight and for pet food, can get about 20kg in each - if you have anywhere you can store bins for dog food - shed/garage/out house/utility?

I have tried that aswell. I got 2 free food bins when my dogs were on Redmills. Each bin could take 15kg. Again it toke too long for the dogs to get through a 15kg bag - about 2 months. I just assumed that the food wasn't as fresh near end of the bin and that's why they didn't like the food as much.

So I switched them onto 4kg Redmills bags. Each 4kg would last 3 weeks, the food was fresher and the dogs always ate it.

So because of my experience with Redmills, I have decided to go with 7.5kg bags of Burns. Works out a bit more expensive but IMO I think the food is fresher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

I would normally pay 59 euro for a 15 kg bag of burns in my vets .If I were to get it for 47 euro i'd be very happy ( so would my pocket ) .would love to know who has it at this price , do please tell ..

mlettis wrote: »
    I would normally pay 59 euro for a 15 kg bag of burns in my vets .If I were to get it for 47 euro i'd be very happy ( so would my pocket ) .would love to know who has it at this price , do please tell ..

log on to www.zooplus.co.uk and www.zooplus.ie have to check both to see who is cheapest, also get 5% discount with first order - or 10% if you go through http://www.couponmountain.co.uk/voucher-codes--se-zooplus.html but this is for .co.uk site only

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

Thanks Paul will have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cinnomen

Thats funny lol I just answered a post about burns and I recommended Arden Grange! http://www.ardengrange.com/ I know you have probably decided now but I dont know what type of dog you have but I have never had any luck with burns, On a skinny dog like my sisters Alfie he couldnt put on weight and her other dogs Jake and Ozzie lost weight on Burns apon investigation I found a lot of people say this.
    I hope you find the right food for your baby's I know how hard it can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

smilerf wrote: »
    I had my fella on burns.. he ate it but i wasnt happy with he's poops so i switched him to arden range and he's flyin on it
    its trial and error

Im on the 1st bag of burns at the mo and noticing the same with the poop. Might get the arden grange and try it. my dog is a lab mix so she'll eat pretty much anything put in front of her....... food or otherwise :D

changed from JWB because of the poop prob but not seeing a huge improvement. Have her on the Burns chicken and rice. No probs when i changed over as i did it gradually but not much of an improvement. Whats the average price on the arden grange?

Advertisement