Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics have no place in football

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah, as much as I'm tempted to be swayed by the Bahrain game, they really are different situations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It happened in 2005 - FIFA decided to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualifier between Ukbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of "a technical error by the referee of the match".

A penalty was awarded & encrouched. Instead of awarding a re-take of the penalty - as per FIFA rules - a free kick was awarded instead.

As a FIFA spokesman said today, that was a "very different" case, because the referee in the match "saw the incident in question and simply failed to apply the proper rules".

In the case of the Ireland match, the officials didn't see the handball & the goal stood.

Basically, the rules of the game were applied during the Ireland v France game & not in the other match, so there is no grounds for a replay.

Someone should explain this to the Dail.

Yeah I didn't know the details. It appears that these two incidents weren't as similar as this fella on the radio made them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

One of the lads I work with told me that something similar happened years ago and there was a re-play. Some guy on the radio was yapping on about it.

thought you were going on about clare v offaly in the hurling semi final in 98 when the ref blew full time too early!!
    anyway, FIFA is way to political as it is. the amount of wheeling and dealing that goes on and lobbying from countries that may be hosting the world cup is savage. imagine if john o'd or mary harney was on the fifa world cup organising committee, they'd have a savage expenses bill all taken care of by the fa of the country hosting them. england were giving designer handbags out a couple of weeks ago to them.
    as for the type of political structure FIFA has, i would say it's not far from dictatorship. jao havalange was a dinosaur that wouldn't budge, blatter is a media whore, and his likely successor jack walker is already holding countries to ransom when it comes to looking for votes.
    they'd probably make the irish government look like novices at any kinda politics. which they probably are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Surely the thread title should read "Football has no place in politics." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 picpress

The French people need to be shamed into calling for the match to be replayed.

I think if people were to write on each Euro note that they pass on especially if travelling to France the words

Les Bleus
    Les Cheats

The French people would be shamed into calling for a replay as this message would go across europe.

Do it now and continue doing it.

Pass this message to your E-mail list and friends.
    Garrett

picpress wrote: »
    The French people need to be shamed into calling for the match to be replayed.

I think if people were to write on each Euro note that they pass on especially if travelling to France the words

Les Bleus
    Les Cheats

The French people would be shamed into calling for a replay as this message would go across europe.

Do it now and continue doing it.

Pass this message to your E-mail list and friends.
    Garrett

Sweet Jesus. You cant blame the whole French nation for the actions of one player. This is making us look very petty. I sniggered to myself when I heard Robbie Keane being interviewed. Apparently, he was outraged. The chap handled the ball three times on Wednesday night. Hypocrite.

The French didnt cheat us out of a place in the World Cup. The game was a draw, if anything they cheated us out of a penalty shootout. One we probably would have lost with the magnificent Lloris in goal for the French.

The game should have been put to bed long before extra time. You want to blame somebody, fine. Blame Kevin Doyle for failing to convert a fairly simple chance from six yards. Blame Robbie Keane for trying to walk the ball into the net instead of rifling it home, into the top corner. Blame John O'Shea for missing another sitter. Blame Damian Duff for not chipping it over the keeper into the back of the net. Blame McShane for not sticking with his man and seeing the ball out.

This is no conspiracy, if it was the referee would have given a penalty for Shays challenge on Anelka in the box. The referee made an error, thems the breaks. Thats football. Its heartbreaking but thats why we love the sport.

As for the politicians waffling on about something they know little about, how many of them will be attending the F.A.I Cup final this weekend?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

PaulieD wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. You cant blame the whole French nation for the actions of one player. This is making us look very petty. I sniggered to myself when I heard Robbie Keane being interviewed. Apparently, he was outraged. The chap handled the ball three times on Wednesday night. Hypocrite.

The French didnt cheat us out of a place in the World Cup. The game was a draw, if anything they cheated us out of a penalty shootout. One we probably would have lost with the magnificent Lloris in goal for the French.

The game should have been put to bed long before extra time. You want to blame somebody, fine. Blame Kevin Doyle for failing to convert a fairly simple chance from six yards. Blame Robbie Keane for trying to walk the ball into the net instead of rifling it home, into the top corner. Blame John O'Shea for missing another sitter. Blame Damian Duff for not chipping it over the keeper into the back of the net. Blame McShane for not sticking with his man and seeing the ball out.

This is no conspiracy, if it was the referee would have given a penalty for Shays challenge on Anelka in the box. The referee made an error, thems the breaks. Thats football. Its heartbreaking but thats why we love the sport.

As for the politicians waffling on about something they know little about, how many of them will be attending the F.A.I Cup final this weekend?:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. Every week we see players, including our own, cheating, diving and trying to hoodwink officials and who can forget the picture of Roy Keane leading his teammates in intimidating the referee.
    The fact is, Henry did it and he got away with it. I doubt any player on the Irish team, given the same situation would not have done the same. We're always slagging off the English for dwelling on the hand of God incident, are we now destined to do the same? It's over now, get on with it.
    Cowen was only playing to the gallery and listening to Shatter and Coughlan was one of the most cringe inducing moments in Dáil history, does either of them know anything about football?
    It's a wonder "de man of de people" didn't pop over the parapet to have his say and claim his attendance allowance. Now, did someone mention cheats?

bmaxi wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Every week we see players, including our own, cheating, diving and trying to hoodwink officials and who can forget the picture of Roy Keane leading his teammates in intimidating the referee.

A lot of people seem to forget Damian Duffs olympic style dive in the 2002 World Cup. Mr Cowen was Minister for Foreign Affairs at the time. Did he apologise to his Spanish counterparts? Did he hell. Its 1.40 into the video clip for those who are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

How low, how sleazy, how cheap can Fianna Fáil the Bertie Party get?

Crap all over the country and screw the economy. But if a quiet word in Sarkozy's ear could get Ireland a replay, then Cowen could be the great hero, and maybe every soccer fan in Ireland would vote Fianna Fáil at the next election, and magically forget what a bunch of cheating, underhand, weasel worded worms they all are.

They make me SICK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

How the hell did this get so out of hand?

the second FF saw it as an opportunity to distract us from their upcoming economic assassination. shower of opportunistic bastards taking any chance they can to take our eyes off them.

Fianna Fail and Fairplay. Does not commute.

You have been often quoted in the past about FIFA’s role in ensuring fair play and proper sportsmanship. Here you have an opportunity to prove there is meaning behind these words and show children all over the world that in football those who cheat will not succeed.
    Yours sincerely,

Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/fairplay

They must think the general populace are retards. Faux patriotism, a new low for the soldiers of destiny.

PaulieD wrote: »

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/fairplay

Jesus, can you imagine the spamming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

All they are doing is winning support from Joe Public by pretending to care about a stupid replay!!! And the minions are buying it!!! Dermot Ahern on CNN! Biffo syaing he will bring it up with Sarkozey:eek: !!!
    Take a look at the pics of our second biggest city today, people being evacuated by the military from there homes...all roads in and out of Cork closed..literally, a city in lockdown...and whats headline news? A soccer match!!! And the Govt's involvement!!!!
    There is a protest march at the French Embassy today!!:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Did anyone see the incompotent gombeen ****head getting interviwed about this on news last night? He stood there smiling, joking, HE IS NOT TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY-HE COULD'T GIVE A SH1T. DO NOT BE FOOLED!
    And he'll do more harm than good to this, like he does to eveything. Agree with OP, he should look after bigger issues like FIXING THE COUNTRY and leave the sport to sports people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Liam79 wrote: »
    Take a look at the pics of our second biggest city today, people being evacuated by the military from there homes...all roads in and out of Cork closed..literally, a city in lockdown...

Is Cork the new New Orleans?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It is embarrassing.

Dara Calleary is out of order and so is Dermot Aherne.
    This is between the FAI, the French Federation and FIFA.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with our politicians and Francois Fillon was spot on to tell Cowen the same.

What next? Archbishop of Dublin on the Blower to the Pope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The Arsenal Sheffield Utd game is a far more relevant game i think than the Bahrain 1

An injustice was done (not even on the same level as the Henry incident) and the Arse offered a replay.

to be honest we are never going to get a replay but all politicians should butt out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Politicians are there to represent the people, if the people feel aggrieved (justly or otherwise) then it's part of our elected representatives roles to at least pay lip service to it and, if they can at all, do something about it.

bladespin wrote: »
    Politicians are there to represent the people, if the people feel aggrieved (justly or otherwise) then it's part of our elected representatives roles to at least pay lip service to it and, if they can at all, do something about it.

Cowen knows there is nothing he can do about it. He's just huffing and puffing and trying to make himself look good.
    It would serve him and us better to get his a*se back here and sort the mess he created or f*ck off and let someone, anyone, else do it.
    Cowen only served to belittle the whole nation whingeing to Sarkozy, good for his image but not ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

What else would ya expect the highly paid FF PR advisors to tell them to do, we've falllen for their BS for decades, whats changed, FG will be asking for compensation for the fans yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

bladespin wrote: »
    Politicians are there to represent the people,

Yes, in matters of the State.
    Not in international football where they have no jurasdiction.
    It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Liam79 wrote: »
    All they are doing is winning support from Joe Public by pretending to care about a stupid replay!!! And the minions are buying it!!! Dermot Ahern on CNN! Biffo syaing he will bring it up with Sarkozey:eek: !!!
    Take a look at the pics of our second biggest city today, people being evacuated by the military from there homes...all roads in and out of Cork closed..literally, a city in lockdown...and whats headline news? A soccer match!!! And the Govt's involvement!!!!
    There is a protest march at the French Embassy today!!:mad::rolleyes:
    The sad fact of the matter is that probably more Irish people are worried about a replay than about our deficit or flooding in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The next person who starts a thread on the football in the Irish Economy section, or without checking to see whether there are other threads on it already, will be infracted.

annoyed,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

This is just another cheap populist ploy from Demot "Blasphemy" née "Queer-basher" Ahern. Fianna Fáil are so deep in sh*t at the moment that they'll say anything that they think might grab a few votes.

Advertisement