Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stated number of cartridges.

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

is the stated number of cartridges on my application form the amount i can buy full stop until the licence expires, or the amount i can possess at any one time??
    lad who helped me with the application said put down 100. this sounded very small but i didn't argue. is it the amount i can possess at one time??

hope one of ye can clear this up for me.

thanks lads
    cogan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

At any one time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

s-cogan wrote: »
    is the stated number of cartridges on my application form the amount i can buy full stop until the licence expires, or the amount i can possess at any one time??
    lad who helped me with the application said put down 100. this sounded very small but i didn't argue. is it the amount i can possess at one time??

hope one of ye can clear this up for me.

thanks lads
    cogan

Its the amount that you can have in your pocession at any one time, the same with RF and CF ammo.

I think I put down for 300 x 308 rounds and got a 500 allowance. :D
    And then on my Euro Firearms pass i got a 1000 rounds allowance. :D:D

Not that i could ever afford to buy anywhere near that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mark.17hmr

Hi there

As far as I know the stated number of round on your licence is wat you are allowed to have to your name at any 1 time

ie: If you go into a shop and ask for 100 you go out that evening and fire 25 you are able to get the 25 again the following day in theory but id be very wary with this and wudnt be going in every 2nd day as there may be Questions asked...

Hope this helps....

Mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

So can one, for example, purchase 1000 rounds of any ammo at a low, bulk price and ask the vendor to store them and draw supplies down in accordance with your permitted allowance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You cannot buy them yourself and store them with a dealer as cannnot purchase more than is on your license plus no dealer can sell more than is on your license to you, but you can do something similar. I use a target round that my local dealer did not stock. He gets 5,000 at a time for me and i purchase them 1,000 at a time. When there is 1,000 left he orders another 5,000. Since i've started buying from him others have also started and now he must get more to keep up with demand. The more he orders the lower the price as he gets a discount for bulk buying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

ye cleared tgat up well lads.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ezridax wrote: »
    You cannot buy them yourself and store them with a dealer as cannnot purchase more than is on your license plus no dealer can sell more than is on your license to you, but you can do something similar. I use a target round that my local dealer did not stock. He gets 5,000 at a time for me and i purchase them 1,000 at a time. When there is 1,000 left he orders another 5,000. Since i've started buying from him others have also started and now he must get more to keep up with demand. The more he orders the lower the price as he gets a discount for bulk buying.

Nothing at all prohibiting this. No issue with a dealer taking payment for stuff and storing it for you, as long as you don't take into your possession an amount that exceeds your licence limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Nothing at all prohibiting this. No issue with a dealer taking payment for stuff and storing it for you, as long as you don't take into your possession an amount that exceeds your licence limit.

yeah I imagine its much the same as going in and buying a gun, its your property but in the dealers possession, it can be transferred to your possession upon the issuing of a licence for said firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

yeah I imagine its much the same as going in and buying a gun, its your property but in the dealers possession, it can be transferred to your possession upon the issuing of a licence for said firearm.

Precisely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Originally Posted by it wasn't me

Let me elaborate. If he was bulk buying from an international source and having them stored by a dealer he couldn't (unless done through the dealers license). Can only import what is on your license plus a dealer will want a fee in some form for the transaction. If you were buying in bulk from your dealer why buy 5,000 rounds and get them out a bit at a time. My dealer does this for me but i only pay for what i take at any one transaction. A price is agreed in advance. Eg. 5,000 rounds of clay shells. Estimated price is roughly €840. We agree on €800 and as i take 1,000 at a time i pay €160 per transaction. The prices are just for example purposes.

Each dealer is different and depending on your relationship/years of trading with him you may get a better reception than others.
    Originally Posted by foxshooter243

The difference being, when you purchase a firearm you have to go through the application process. When buying ammo you already have a license and can take the ammo immediately. Its a subtle difference but a difference all the same.

Look, i'm not saying any of the above is prohibited but i went to 2 dealers before the lad i'm dealing with now. The others didn't stock it and didn't want to or simply didn't want the overhead of ammo that only a select few may buy. So they wouldn't cater for me. The 3rd lad did and since he started getting it in others have bought. It has turned into a nice little earner, plus if others looking for the ammo call to him you can bet half will end up buying other items they didn't intend to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement