Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any one else apply for the lecturing job in AIT?

• 19-11-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all,

I'm new here.. Just wondering if anyone else applied for the lecturing job in Athlone IT? The deadline was last friday, but I havent received a confirmation email yet... anyone else have similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

Well I just received a "thanks but no thanks" letter from AIT today. I have to say that I am very surprised that I wasn't short-listed.

I know that in the current economic times that there would have been a lot of people applying for the post, but I am really curious as to why I didn't get short-listed as in my opinion I ticked all of the required boxes.

Is there any point in ringing the HR department to enquire why I wasnt short-listed? I feel that this information might prove helpful to me in future applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jrd wrote: »
    Is there any point in ringing the HR department to enquire why I wasnt short-listed? I feel that this information might prove helpful to me in future applications.

I've done that a few times before and got nowhere, tbh. It all depends on the person you get at the end of the phone.

Do you mind me asking - do you have much lecturing experience?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I've done that a few times before and got nowhere, tbh. It all depends on the person you get at the end of the phone.

Do you mind me asking - do you have much lecturing experience?

Yeah I thought as much.

I have just under 2 years lecturing experience and 3 years in a teaching support-type role. I have honours Bachelors and Masters degrees (from AIT) and am finishing off my Ph.D. at the moment. And have 2 years industrial experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Yeah I thought as much.

I have just under 2 years lecturing experience and 3 years in a teaching support-type role. I have honours Bachelors and Masters degrees (from AIT) and am finishing off my Ph.D. at the moment. And have 2 years industrial experience.
    you should have been a strong candidate imo, since you graduated from there, and probably will know the people you were working with, did they actully fill the spot?

you should have been a strong candidate imo, since you graduated from there, and probably will know the people you were working with, did they actully fill the spot?

Yeah, I know quite a few people down there, some of them actually advised me to apply for the post, I would potentially have been teaching on the courses that I took, but sure who knows... They might have gotten someone in-house, or given that IT's tend to prefer industrial experience over research experience they might have looked more for that..

Its hard to say.. suppose the silver lining here is that i have some whitespace to finish off my PhD..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And have 2 years industrial experience.

I reckon that's your problem there.

As far as I recall the requirement is for 3 years post-grad industrial experience for lecturing positions, irrespective of everything else.

It's a Dept. of Education requirement, not a college requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

I got short listed for one of the posts in AIT, I was interviewed last friday and got my "no thanks" in the post today...

Ah well...

I have 9 years industrial experience but no lecturing experience. I am in the final year of my MSc so that may have come against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sorry to hear of the outcomes guys, but invaluable information. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Sorry to hear that - request feedback from the interview - they should have the interviewers scoring cards. This will show how you faired. Anyone know if you can ask where your score ranked, so you can gauge how you did against the other interviewees?

Chimpster wrote: »
    I got short listed for one of the posts in AIT, I was interviewed last friday and got my "no thanks" in the post today...
    I have 9 years industrial experience but no lecturing experience. I am in the final year of my MSc so that may have come against me.

Sorry to hear that, It's hard to know if you not having a Masters came against you or not, - they may also have been looking at your publishing record. But surely if you fit the criteria to be shortlisted then you should also fit the criteria for the position..

They were not very clear at all in the advertisement if they weighted academic experience over industrial experience. You should definitely ring them up to see why you were not selected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement