Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Seeding for Euro 2012

• 19-11-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

I just heard a radio news bulletin saying that we're third seeds for Euro 2012 qualifying.
    Anyone know any details about this yet?

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes 3rd seeds

2012 European Championship qualification seedings

Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

Pot Six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

Fifa/Uefa are a joke ,an utterly corrupt body.
    They just make up seeding coefficients to suit their own needs.
    Firstly they engineer the qualifying groups for the World Cup,then they have seeded playoffs.
    Next up,rigging the World Cup final 32 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Well, presumably they'll change it a couple of weeks beforehand, just to make sure we don't have a chance to qualify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I want France.

We know we are better than them.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ireland and Bosnia should be in Pot 2. Once again proving what a group of con's Fifa really are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I pray we get France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Yes 3rd seeds

Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

Fifa/Uefa are a joke ,an utterly corrupt body.
    They just make up seeding coefficients to suit their own needs.
    Firstly they engineer the qualifying groups for the World Cup,then they have seeded playoffs.
    Next up,rigging the World Cup final 32 draw.

There are so many wrong things with those seedings I don't know where to start.

Why are Slovenia 4th seeds and Russia 1st?
    Why have Bulgaria gone down but we've moved nowhere?
    Why are Sweden seeded above us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

x PyRo wrote: »
    Ireland and Bosnia should be in Pot 2.

Why?
    The figures are worked out by a very transparent formula, not just pulled from a hat.
    Unfortunately for us previous campaigns still count, so we are dragged back a little by the poor performance in the Steve Staunton campaign for E2008.

And only 4 victories + 6 draws (including a slly home draw v Montenegro) in the most recent campaign didn't help our ranking.

Some people need to know how fairness works..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ranking seems fine. Who cares anyway? Just give us the French and we'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we're 34th in the world.

it's very difficult to not be in Pot 3.

especially considering most of the world's best teams are in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Why?
    The figures are worked out by a very transparent formula, not just pulled from a hat.
    Unfortunately for us previous campaigns still count, so we are dragged back a little by the poor performance in the Steve Staunton campaign for E2008.

And only 4 victories + 6 draws (including a slly home draw v Montenegro) in the most recent campaign didn't help our ranking.

Exactly, we only beat one of the teams ahead of us in those seedings and by the time 2012 rolls around it'll be ten years since we were last in a big competition. The teams who deserved to be rewarded, Serbia and Slovakia were.

Slovenia have a right to feel pissed though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Some people need to know how fairness works..
    Wat.

Go on explain what you mean.

Why?

There are teams that are ahead of us that shouldn't be, nor should it be formatted the way Fifa have it imo. Are Northern Ireland on par with some of those teams in group 3 ?. No.

Slovenia have qualified for the World Cup and performed well in the qualifiers and are in the 4th pot ?.

Once again our task is being made extremely harder than it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Doesn't surprise me. Nobody's gonna do us a favour, we need to go cut out those bs draws and win more games

ziggy wrote: »

Sweden are ranked below us but are in a pot above us. Thats not fair regardless of past qualifying.

We're not the only team ranked unfairly imo. So i'm not basing it on Ireland either.

I may be wrong in the way i look at it but i don't agree with the way it's seeded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think we can go into this one with some real confidence of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Does the seeding really matter as I though UEFA are at to extending the competition from 16 to 24 teams so primarily they get more money and secondly the smaller nations actually get a chance to compete at a prestigious tournament. This could be in effect from 2016 though not sure.

I'm not stupid. Just because i don't agree with something doesn't mean i'm basing it on something absurd like you've posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Tom65 wrote: »
    Well, presumably they'll change it a couple of weeks beforehand, just to make sure we don't have a chance to qualify?

They already have. When I last checked how the 2012 qualifiers were formatted they said it would be as per 2008. Less groups but more teams per group with the top 2 going through and no playoffs.

But of course the stronger teams must have their second chances...

Paleface wrote: »
    Sweden are ranked below us but are in a pot above us. Thats not fair regardless of past qualifying.

Loads of people complained that FIFAs world ranking system was skewed by the results of friendly matches, that teams who took these moderately seriously were able to increase their ranking by 10+ places leading to unfair draws.

So UEFA announced 2 years ago that they would instead use a very transparent coefficient system that included only competitive qualifying games weighted towards the most recent campaign.

And now people suddenly want UEFA to go back to the FIFA rankings because it would suit us more. Gotta love it.

Daysha wrote: »
    They already have. When I last checked how the 2012 qualifiers were formatted they said it would be as per 2008. Less groups but more teams per group with the top 2 going through and no playoffs.

But of course the stronger teams must have their second chances...

Have to disagree with you here... Platini said after the campaign for E2008 that they would never again go with that system as it led to some groups having 8 teams and loads of hassles with the clubs over player release, and increased insurance costs for the associations.
    So the '9 groups of 5/6 teams, 9 winners, best runners up and 4 playoffs system' for E2012 has been known for a long time, roughly 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I thought there was supposed to be 24 teams in the Euros this time?

I'm making claims that alot of the rankings are unfair.

Russia in Pot 1 when they came second in the group and lost to Slovenia in the qualifier (Pot 4). When teams like Denmark win their group and are in Pot 2. Plus Northern Ireland are also in Pot 3 and that's unfair on teams like Slovenia and Hungary who did very well over the past 2 years.

It's my opinion and i'm entitled to it, as you are to your's.

I'll post no more in this thread because no matter what i say you'll not agree. The system shows the correct results when calculated that way but i just think it's harsh on certain teams and too beneficial to other. That's all!.

• Advertisement

Russia in Pot 1 when they came second in the group and lost to Slovenia in the qualifier (Pot 4). When teams like Denmark win their group and are in Pot 2. Plus Northern Ireland are also in Pot 3 and that's unfair on teams like Slovenia and Hungary who did very well over the past 2 years.

It's my opinion and i'm entitled to it, as you are to your's.

I'll post no more in this thread because no matter what i say you'll not agree. The system shows the correct results when calculated that way but i just think it's harsh on certain teams and too beneficial to other. That's all!.

Well said. The snobbery on here is painful. You express and opinion and are lambasted for not sharing the views of people who think there is nothing wrong with how football is run.

You either do it on something like gut instinct (which with respect is what you are doing) or else you use a very scientific method.
    At least the latter is transparent whereas the former is open to corruption.

I actually agree with some of your assessments, Slovenia in particular at first glance look hard done by.

The flaw in the current system is how slowmoving it is, as you still gain the benefit (or suffer the pain) of old campaigns.
    For example in 2 years time Slovenia/Bosnia might have had a bad recent campaign and people will be saying how the fcuk are they seeded third now for the WC2016 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

That's maybe because you're basing them on the last 2 years. e.g. certainly Northern ireland might look out of place in pot 3 but it's not long since they beat Spain and had a very good qualifying campaign.

Ziggy, out of interest do you have a breakdown of the actual figures (as opposed to the bare rankings).
    I wonder if Ireland had gone out with a better attitude against Montenegro in the 'dead' qualifying game would the extra 20,000 points for a win have got us into Pot 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

look at ireland in no 3, it seems that we have a fairly good chance of coming first or second in our group, just my thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It doesnt really matter. Our seedings need to improve, and it will take the next tournament to do so.

I dont believe we have been screwed in this case. I suggest Ireland regroup and come out swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its like all Uefa comp seedings are done over a number of campains. Looks at the Champions League the seedings for that go back 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'd like us to get the Faroes tbh, I'm not sure about getting France though, Domenech will be long gone by then.

When is the draw anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Wouldn't mind this

Portugal
    Sweden
    Republic of Ireland
    Wales
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Would Croatia not be our first preference for 1st seeding?

There's a high chance Domenech will be gone by the time of the qualifying, I don't know if I'd be 100% keen on France as first seeds. Although certainly worse teams we could draw. Spain would be pretty horrible. Then again top 2 qualify here, so it should really be the 2nd seeds we're looking to target.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Then again top 2 qualify here, so it should really be the 2nd seeds we're looking to target.

Not quite.

9 group winners, + 1 best runner up qualify automatically.
    Remaining 8 runners up playoff for remaining 4 places to make up the 16 with hosts Poland and Ukraine.

24 qualifiers isn't til 2016... I think someone asked earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Cyprus and Malta in our group, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I pray we get France.

Seeing as Domenech wont be manager barring another bizarre tournaround by the French FA I hope we dont get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

3rd seed was to be expected. We haven't exactly set the world alight in qualifying campaigns recently. In the Euros we haven't qualified since the 88 one. And under Stan our results must have put us back a long way, and even Kerrs WC campaign we drew twice with Israel and with Switz. This time around drawing twice with Montenegro was not exactly going to improve things much either.

3rd seeds we are, but we have proved that we can deal with the big teams, so why should we be afraid of anyone??

For 1st seeds i guess Croatia is best option, but would like another go at France too
    A lot of weak 2nd seeds, teams who are not as good as they were a few years back like Turkey, Czechs, Romania or Switz! They can be this campaigns Bulgaria for us.

Pot 4 has a few tricky sides, but once we avoid Slovenia i'd be happy enough.
    Pot 5 obviously Montenegro are the ones to avoid here, any of the rest should be 6 points in the bag.
    Pot 6 a certain 6 pts if we end up with one of these.

We could see a group like:
    Croatia
    Switzerland
    Ireland
    Belarus
    Liechtenstein
    Faroe Islands (just to say hello to Kerr!)

Very winnable.

Worst case would be:
    Spain
    Serbia
    Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro

We don't deserve that surely, we've had enough bad luck to do us a long time!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cyprus and Malta in our group, I hope.

Yeah cos Malta didnt beat us before... :)

And didnt Cyprus do us 5-2 in the bum recently???

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Yes 3rd seeds

Worst draw:

Spain
    Greece
    Rep of Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Faroe Islands

Best draw:

Croatia
    Switzerland
    Rep. of Ireland
    Wales
    Lichtenstein (not bottom seeds anymore! Fair play!)
    Andorra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I think we are due to draw the old enemy for this campaign! England i mean..not France!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It would be great if we could get the difficult away fixture's near the beginning of the campaign out of the way first as hopefully the opposition would be sufferring from a hangover from the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah cos Malta didnt beat us before... :)

And didnt Cyprus do us 5-2 in the bum recently???

DeV.

I think its because he fancies a nice holiday on the away legs

• Advertisement
Advertisement