Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Seeding for Euro 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Best draw:

Croatia
    Switzerland
    Rep. of Ireland
    Wales
    Lichtenstein (not bottom seeds anymore! Fair play!)
    Andorra

Best draw in pot 6 is probably none of 'em, get into a 5 team group instead.

Andorra or San Marino would be meaningless games as everyone else in the group would beat them home and away so the 6 points are worthless.
    Faroes or Azerbaijan would be trappy games, and the latter in particular a horrible trip.
    Luxembourg, Malta, meh.

Best to be in a 5 team group, 2 less games means possibly no double headers which is good with an ageing set of senior players, and leaves less chance of suspensions from 2 yellow cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

2012 European Championship qualification seedings

Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

Pot Six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.
    Looking at it from every other teams point of view, Ireland are probably the team to avoid out of the 3rd pot of seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Looking at it from every other teams point of view, Ireland are probably the team to avoid out of the 3rd pot of seeds.

Probably Bosnia as well. A team very much on the up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

We'll end up getting France again cos thats the way the world works

There'll be a new Lansdowne Rd to look forward to aswell for the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Definitely.

But Fifa will probably rig the draw and give us something like this:

Spain
    Serbia
    Republic of Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Azerbaijan

Why don't they make the draw for Euro 2012 after the 2010 World Cup. Some countries can overachieve or underachieve in the World Cup making the seedings look even more ridiculous than they already are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Sweden is easily the worst draw from the second pot from ireland's point of view. A Zlatan Dunne matchup would be awful because he's comperable in the air and as strong as him but is far too skillful. If I were to pick I'd go

Italy
    Czechs
    Denmark
    Macedonia
    and the two little Ls.

Edit.

Also every team will want to avoid Bosnia from the third seeds easily. They're a step ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Definitely.

But Fifa will probably rig the draw and give us something like this:

Spain
    Serbia
    Republic of Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Azerbaijan

Why don't they make the draw for Euro 2012 after the 2010 World Cup. Some countries can overachieve or underachieve in the World Cup making the seedings look even more ridiculous than they already are.

I think its mainly because association's have to arrange fixture's and also the logistic's for team transport and travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

JPA wrote: »
    Probably Bosnia as well. A team very much on the up.
    Ya thats true, going on their performance this time round they should provide tough opposition for whoever draws them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think its feasible to leave it that late as the fixtures will start in September.

So if they did the draw in mid July after the WC then there'd only be literally weeks to organise the fixture list (which can often take 2 or 3 meetings and is sometimes deadlocked totally). This at a time when managers/players/officials would prefer to be on holidays before pre-season.

Its probably best for the fans as well (though I doubt we are at the forefront of their thoughts) that we get the fixture list 5 months in advance of the first few games and can plan flights/hotels/time-off-work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

That's not to say that it could be done though. All the international dates are already set out for the following year, so it's really just a question of sorting out when you play each team. Not too difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

From 3rd seeds, its Bosnia and us especially they will all want to avoid. Probably Israel too as they are so good at getting draws with everyone everywhere!!

No matter who we get, if Trap allows the team to be offensive and play like we did last night, then we can't fear anyone. Hopefully after last night even at 70 years of age something clicked in his brain and said to him these guys are not limited or need to concede 60/70% of possesion everytime.

Last night we outplayed the World Cup runners up. Being offensive in Bari we drew v the World Cup winners. By even being half offensive we were 2 mins away from beating Italy in Dublin too.

But even after the Italy games, Trap set us out for a 0-0 at home, which was wrong!! If we attacked France in Dublin as we did last night well then we could be in SA after a 1-0 win in Dublin and a 1-1 or whatever last night.

I really hope Trap now sees we are capable of more, even Whelan & Andrews played better than i'd ever seen them, once allowed freedom.

Bring on the Euro 2012 qualifiers and please Trap let the guys play, and give them attacking freedom as they had last night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Does anyone else think we'll get England in these qualifiers? Looking at the top seeds, I think England are the only team we haven't had in recent years. It's probably all rigged anyway but maybe they think enough time has passed since '95?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Does anyone else think we'll get England in these qualifiers? Looking at the top seeds, I think England are the only team we haven't had in recent years. It's probably all rigged anyway but maybe they think enough time has passed since '95?
    lol yeah i think we might. I also think we might get any of the top seeds. Predicting random draws is fun! Also there is no way the groups are rigged ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Didn't really expect Ireland to move up in the seedings, as pointed out already we only won 4/10 games in last group, and not many wins under Stan and Kerr either.
    If we played like we did the other night on a more regular basis we could be top seeds by now!
    I wish this draw was today and not in February, we need to move on and look towards Euro 2012 and use the hurt from the Stade de France to spur us on to qualification....just to spite Platini and his cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Russia, Romania and Ireland would be my perfect group. There's nobody in the 2nd grouping that I don't feel we couldn't get the best of, bar Serbia. Absolutely have to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Would love to get France. Would be war and if they keep their current manager I'd be very confident we'd get 4-6 points.

Hopefully, Duff, Given and the lads will see Euro 2012 as one more opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Doocey wrote: »
    Would love to get France. Would be war and if they keep their current manager I'd be very confident we'd get 4-6 points.

Hopefully, Duff, Given and the lads will see Euro 2012 as one more opportunity.

Yep I dont see why any of current squad should retire, Given and Kilbane are the oldest and they should still be around for Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Easiest Group:
    Croatia
    Romania
    Rep. of Ireland
    Cyprus
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

Worst Group:
    Spain
    Serbia
    Rep. or Ireland
    Slovenia
    Iceland
    Luxembourg

Ideal Group:
    France
    Turkey
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Toulousain wrote: »
    Ideal Group:
    France
    Turkey
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

I'd sell my left testicle for a group with France in it.

Advertisement