Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam support are bots!

Options
  • 19-11-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post this because I thought it was both ridiculous and mildly amusing. I hadn't logged into steam in about 3 or 4 years and I needed to get my password reset. Problem is that I wasn't receiving any email when I tried the reset password option and I also had an even older account which has Half Life 2 registered to it. I didnt want the old account because I don't have Half Life 2 anymore and I just wanted my more recent account's password to be reset because I like the username I had. Anyway I started a support call with Steam and explained quite clearly the situation. After about 8 back and forth emails with me getting no sense from them I finally realized that it was an automated support bot I was dealing with. I'm almost certain it was anyway. Heres a few excerpts from the emails that were sent:
    Me:
    I don't want access to the old account xxxxxxxxxx just the account with the username xxxxxxxxxxx. If this isnt possible then please just tell me and I will re-register or something?

Steam support:
    Hello,

Launch Steam.
    Click File > Settings.
    Click "Change Contact Email"
    Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Great suggestion considering the whole point of my call was to reset my password so I could get in Steam :rolleyes:
    ME:
    I have a strong feeling I'm talking to some sort of support bot with programmed answers because you are not making any sense?
    I think I am just going to re-register a new account and I'll make sure I don't forget the password this time.

Steam support:
    Hello,

I am glad that the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty - we will be happy to assist you.

Needless I just registered a new account

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Whats your Steam support ticket reference number?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Do you work for steam?
    I'd rather not give it out as it has personal information and CD Keys etc in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He's a moderator on the steam forums. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    He's a moderator on the steam forums. :)

Aye . . . maybe I can get someone from support to have a run over the ticket. With L4D2 just recently being released along with Modern Warfare 2, I suspect they are run off their feet and thus maybe the possible odd answers . . . .

In any case, you need to have a privileged account on the Support site to access ticket questions, even if you know the ticket ID.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Okey doke I pm'd you the support ticket number. I'm not that bothered about it too much anyway cos like I said I didn't have any games registered to the account I wanted access to, I just liked that username. I re-registered and got one pretty close to my old one so I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement

Aye, the only difficulty you are most likely going to run into is the fact that you need to provide proof of ownership to gain access to an account . . . and this nearly always requires a game to be registered to the account as you either need to provide:

A) A scan of a CD Key registered to the account.
    B) Information of Credit Card details if you bought a game via Steam itself.

We will see how you get on anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I know for other companies a Camera shot of your existing CD booklets helps a ton. Not sure what Valves policy is on that though.

The CD booklet in this case (if you have one, assuming it wasnt a digital purchase) would tell you what the tranfer policy is/was back then anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Valve bot merged my 2 accounts together and gave me a funny password in a way of mocking me for setting up a 2nd :)

He was a very nice bot.

funny how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Funny like a clown?

• Advertisement

Funny like a clown?
    goodfellas_xl_01.jpg

*cough* Stardock never treated me like this ;)

srsly - they gave me a free game the first time I opened a ticket with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Overheal wrote: »
    srsly - they gave me a free game the first time I opened a ticket with them.

Yeah but you're American, you might have shot them, invaded them or sued them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

or all 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

Steam for me, has the worst support, ever.
    I'm not surprised, they send you automated messages!

Rather then addressing your problem personally they send you on a headless chicken/wild goose chase all over the Web looking for solutions.

I'm ****ing livid with steam at the moment, because of all the selfish people who crack steam, me and fellow people who actually pay for the games are getting "Steam servers are currently busy"

I'm stuck in Limbo here, Purchased L4D2 with my hard earned money and I can't even begin downloading.

Get a grip Valve & get this fixed! :mad:

forget steam: help me figure this email out -
    Dear Mr. x,

Thank you for notifying us that you have not received your issues. We received your payment on October 28, 2009 and your subscription was reactivated and automatically extended to compensate for the issues you did not receive. The new expiration date is: September 2010.

We apologize that you did not receive the November 2009 issue. We extended your subscription to compensate for the issue you did not receive. Your new subscription expiration date is October 2010 issue.

We apologize that you did not receive the December 2009 issue. We are sending you a replacement copy. You should receive it in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for subscribing to Popular Science.

Sincerely,

Andrew Spiegel
    Email Customer Service

*When contacting us, please include all the previous emails*

Original Message:
    Sent: 11/24/2009
    To: x
    Subject: Re: Reference: 480811845 []
    - Hide quoted text -

I should repeat/clarify, the last Issue I have received was September 2009, "Point. Click. Kill."

I did not receive an October 2009 issue or a November 2009 issue.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:46 AM, popsciencecustservice wrote:

Dear Mr. x,

Thank you for notifying us that you have not received your issues. We received your payment on October 28, 2009 and your subscription was reactivated and automatically extended to compensate for the issue you did not receive.

We apologize that you did not receive the November 2009 issue. We extended your subscription to compensate for the issue you did not receive. Your new subscription expiration date is October 2010 issue.

Thank you for subscribing to Popular Science.

Sincerely,

Andy Hoffman
    Email Customer Service

*When contacting us, please include all the previous emails*

To: popsciencexustsupport
    Subject: Reference: 480811845

=========== Popular Science ===========

Account: xxxxxxx

eMail Address:
    [x

Subscriber: xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx