Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the best period of modern music 50s 60 70s 80s etc

Options
  • 20-11-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

write what you think was the best period for music in the last century
    give reasons

i think the best music would have to be late 70s early eighties
    you had the jam, the clash thin lizzy were still around
    some great rock bands around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would say this depends very much on your age. Most people form their musical tastes when they are young. So generally it would depend on what music you grew up with.

For me, without a doubt, the 60's win hands down. Why ? Because there was an air of adventure (as in breaking new ground in music) and experimentation. Music was not run, to the same extent, by the big record companies. Bands had more freedom to try new things. You cant mention the 60's without mentioning the "Beatles", who were one of the most inspirational bands of that, and any era. Besides the "Beatles", there was lots of other bands that were all very original. This is not to say there were not great original bands throughout the other decades that you mention, but for me, there was something special about the 60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My favourite period would be the 70's.

There was disco and glam rock.

Some of my favourite artists like Parliament-Funakdelic, David Bowie, Os Mutantes, Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Sun Ra, the Stylistics, the BeeGees, Curtis Mayfield, Fela Kuti, Barry White, Stevie Wonder and Talking Heads were all at their peak.

Others like Prince, Zapp and Cameo were starting out and giving is signs of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like the 4 decades of the 50s, 60's, 70's and 80's. After that it goes downhill in my opinion.

I like Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash to Hank Williams, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, The Bee Gees, Beach Boys and the whole Glam Rock Era too.

I think I defy Rigsby's point though, I'm only 20! :D

mars bar wrote: »
    I think I defy Rigsby's point though, I'm only 20! :D

Fair play to you for having such a wide musical interest at your age. You certainly are in the minority, I'd say. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

To add to it, I'm 21.

• Advertisement

To add to it, I'm 21.

OK guys !! I get the message. :D There are exceptions to every rule. I'm delighted to be proved wrong by yourself and "mars bar". Though I did use the word "generally", in my post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

70's and 90's,
    00's arent bad for metal and electronic music, but as far as mainstream goes its pure ****e

And im 17

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think we'll all get along nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Has to be the 60s/70s for me .The 70s were my teenage years but with having older brothers and sisters , there was a large collection of sixties stuff around and I soon grew to love that whole decade as much as the 70s , not just pop ,rock , soul etc but also folk, popular classics and instrumentals . It enabled me to broaden my musical tastes from an early age .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Today at this very moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm with the OP, the period 1975-85 would be my choice
    5 reasons? The following albums...

David Bowie - Low
    New Order - Power Corruption & Lies
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    The Clash - London Calling
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I'm with the OP, the period 1975-85 would be my choice
    5 reasons? The following albums...

David Bowie - Low
    New Order - Power Corruption & Lies
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    The Clash - London Calling
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

OP- good thread ...this might be a good way to continue with this thread - i.e. justify your answer and state the exact year period.

For me, it's the period 1967 to 1977 was probably the most exciting for musical growth, even though my 'generation' was the 1980s...

Beatles -Serg. Pepper
    Led Zeppelin- 1,ii,iii,iv
    David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust & Spiders from Mars & Heros
    Bob Dylan- Desire & Blood on the Tracks
    Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon
    The Clash- The Clash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

1965 - 1975. Mainly for Zeppelin, Floyd, Deep Purple, The Band, Eagles, Roxy Music, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Bowie, Joe Walsh, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Yes. My ipod is filled with most of these artists and from that era all of them were at their best between these years and is the music I grew up with. I still love a lot of different bands but for me this was the greatest era in Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Latchy wrote: »
    Has to be the 60s/70s for me .The 70s were my teenage years but with having older brothers and sisters , there was a large collection of sixties stuff around and I soon grew to love that whole decade as much as the 70s , not just pop ,rock , soul etc but also folk, popular classics and instrumentals . It enabled me to broaden my musical tastes from an early age .

Born in the 50's, so am a similar age-don't really like the music of the 50's, am the eldest in my family so it took me longer to get to love the 60's music, the 70's was my teenage decade, having younger brothers and a sister kept the 80's fresh for me, and an early midlife crises meant that I was pretty keen on the 90's music too! Still try to keep an open ear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭dasdog

I would think the most important time was the 1950's with rock'n'roll, blues, jazz and folk influencing the up and coming generation (the start of the rock'n'roll era and 1959 for jazz alone). The spread of recording technology improvements in magnetic tape and multi-tracking as well as the introduction of the Fender Strat and Les Paul really had a huge impact on what people played and recorded. It is a pity some of the recordings from the 30's and 40's came before the technological developments. Mid 60's gave us soul and the start of ska/reggae. There were some great rock albums released in the late 60's to early 70's. Mid 70's was the start of punk and electronica crept into the mainstream heading to the 80's. The mid 80's brought thrash metal and following on to the early 90's techno and hiphop started to really take shape. Drum and bass in the mid to late 90's for me was the only original thing going on. Personally I'd be split between Jazz of the 1950's and rock of the early 1970's as regards a favourite era.

Advertisement