Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to Surf (Melbourne)

Options
  • 20-11-2009 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I’ve been living in Melbourne for about 6 months and now that the weather is getting good I fancy getting out and doing a few new things and top of my list is learning how to surf. Has anyone done this near Melbourne and can you recommend a good place to do it?

I’m living in Richmond and I don’t drive so I would have to get to wherever dose it by public transport (unless someone else fancies learning too and will give me a lift!).

Anyway please let me know if you have any advice or if anyone is intrested in doing it too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

hey there if you make it up to queensland and your a normal fun and easy going guy and not some wierdo, ill teach you for free and even give you use of my board. If your interested drop me a pm... If you have use of a car ill be your new best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

neon_glows wrote: »
    hey there if you make it up to queensland and your a normal fun and easy going guy and not some wierdo, ill teach you for free and even give you use of my board. If your interested drop me a pm... If you have use of a car ill be your new best friend.

Mate that sounds amazing and I would love to take you up on the offer but Im working down here in Melbourne so I don’t think Ill make it up to Queensland until the end of my WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

Hi Doc, I definitly be up for a bit surfing. Ive been a few times before but be far from an expert. Just after getting a car too! I'll start looking into a few places to go.

check out torquay, jan juc and bells beach, all on the great ocean road.

seanie_k wrote: »
    Hi Doc, I definitly be up for a bit surfing. Ive been a few times before but be far from an expert. Just after getting a car too! I'll start looking into a few places to go.

Good stuff Ive been looking into doing one of the one or two day tours out of Melbourne but just driving to somewhere like Torquay as "neon_glows" said and just renting boards would be good if you already know the basics and are happy to pass them on to me.

• Advertisement

it would be no harm to get a lesson if you can find someone to give you one, maybe a beginner teaching a beginner might not be great idea... try find an experienced surfer and your luaghing, youll get a lesson in exchange for a few pints.

Hi Doc, do work during the week? My next 2 weekends are kinda full but am free a few days during the week. Im after getting a car so we are all set! you in richmond yeah? im living near victoria gaardens so not that far away. id agree with neon_glows about getting a lesson the first time. not sure if id be much help in a first time lesson

Hi Doc, do work during the week? My next 2 weekends are kinda full but am free a few days during the week. Im after getting a car so we are all set! you in richmond yeah? im living near victoria gaardens so not that far away. id agree with neon_glows about getting a lesson the first time. not sure if id be much help in a first time lesson

Yes mate I work during the week so I can only really go on the weekends unfortunately. Think I might arrange to go on one of the day tours that teach you how to surf next weekend and If your free any weekend after we could arrange to go then if I haven't drowned on my first attempt.

Anyone interested in doing one of the tours next weekend? Ill probably try and go on Saturday the 5th.

hi doc, did you go on one of those day tours? wouldnt mind doing one myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Philip island is nearby and has some good beaches for beginners. Smith's beach I think has a surf school etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Any update on this thread?

I'm settled and want to get some surfing lessons. What do people recommend? Just book a couple of hours lessons one weekend? Any particular coach/school you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Never ended up doing it (yet...) so I still dont know.

i am definitely on for this. Been meaning to do it for awhile but have to get my arse in gear. i have wheels so will be able to drive somewhere for lessons. think there is a surf school in the mornington peninsula. its not too far from the city but not sure what the quality of surf is there. torquay isnt too far either.

Well if you want someone to come with you count me in. We could just rent some wetsuits and boards and just give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yeah if its your first or second time, a lesson would be the best bet of catching a few waves. if there is space in the car i would definitely be interested in coming along too. i am an intermediate level surfer, longboarder. no board over here yet though so will be renting also. i would recommend philip island, quieter beaches, torquay is always jammers.

any other non beginners looking for a line-up buddy give drop me a pm, i can help with petrol money and i have the Oz wave finder guide.

How about going this weekend??? Saturday morning? seanie_k you up for it?

im keen alright but not sure about saturday. i have bought a new car and need to collect it. probably pick it up fri evening(if they open late) or sat morning from a garage out by ringwood. if its sorted and i get it early enough on saturday ill definitly go. ill let you know by tommorow.

if its sorted and i get it early enough on saturday ill definitly go. ill let you know by tommorow.

Sound!

just back from getting the car now, its all systems go. so, DOC, anyone, still on for tommorow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 steviesorous

Hey, I arrived in Melbourne a few months ago and I’m looking for someone to go surfing with, I’m fairly experienced, all my own gear etc.. and I don’t mind giving anyone some lessons if they’re a beginner! Give me a pm or whatever if anyone’s interested, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement