Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Road Flooded

• 20-11-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭

Baaahahahahahahaha

I live up a hill.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just heard about this too.

Ah the joys of living up a hill are shared. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

How bad is it?

JimBob85 wrote: »
    How bad is it?

Flooded. :D

Nah seriously, not sure.

WGB is flooded as is the Village.
    Victoria Mills and Univeristy Hall evacuated.

Serious rainfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 buntyfoul

Heard the castlewhite apartments are getting flooded from my housemates there.....im home in tipp but by the sounds of things it is fairly serious....nothing much being done by emergency services either ie sandbags etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Parsley rang me there an hour ago to say a Coast Gaurd just floated passed his house......

so i went for a look...

the whole of castlewhite is under 3 foot of water.

The Kinglsey is ruined so i'm told but would have needed a boat to go see it.

Orchard Court is flooded

Vic Mills has been evacuated.

• Advertisement

buntyfoul wrote: »
    Heard the castlewhite apartments are getting flooded from my housemates there.....im home in tipp but by the sounds of things it is fairly serious....nothing much being done by emergency services either ie sandbags etc..

Sandbags wouldn't do much tbh

Woah sounds worse then what i heard in cwhite.......3 feet is serious.

How's South Tipperary? I'm from Clonmel, just wondering what the area's like?
    Parsley rang me there an hour ago to say a Coast Gaurd just floated passed his house......

so i went for a look...

the whole of castlewhite is under 3 foot of water.

The Kinglsey is ruined so i'm told but would have needed a boat to go see it.

Orchard Court is flooded

Vic Mills has been evacuated.

For some reason the sight of Parsley looking out his window and wondering why a boat has passed made me lol.

Hope people who've been evacuated are alright, despite conditions.

Anyone in The WGB can forget about college!!!

The servers appear to be down aswell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any idea where they are staying if they have been evacuated? There could be a few heads in for a shock in an hour or so when they get home from being out

• Advertisement

Anyone in The WGB can forget about college!!!

The servers appear to be down aswell..

That's a good chunk so.

Wonder if the centre of campus has been hit?

Clonmel is flooded anyway saw it on the news down by the quays as per usual.
    Where im at couldnt make it to Cahir or Clonmel....fairly bad!

Clonmel is flooded anyway saw it on the news down by the quays as per usual.
    Where im at couldnt make it to Cahir or Clonmel....fairly bad!

Appreciated. Ah f*ck. Quays always get hit, not living near them.
    Supposed to be heading home tomorrow, here's hoping!

That's a good chunk so.

Wonder if the centre of campus has been hit?

Nope, i checked.

The Western Road side of Castlewhite is worse.... It's only up to the doors on the College side because it can kind of run into the river... However it's low tide at the moment....

Orchard Court is pretty bad at the Centra side.... and it's the road is completely impassable.

Nope, i checked.

The Western Road side of Castlewhite is worse.... It's only up to the doors on the College side because it can kind of run into the river... However it's low tide at the moment....

Orchard Court is pretty bad at the Centra side.... and it's the road is completely impassable.

Thanks. I reckoned the river and the layout of the college would make the flood run off.

I don't know Orchard Court, seems an awful situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Does anyone have any pics?

The range of my binoculars is'nt quite good enough to see down from the huge hill I live on.

In all seriousness though, hopefully nobody loses anything important, and I'd still like to see pics. ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

My friend's house has water coming in the windows. all vic cross, straight road, western road is essentially a river. FORGET about college tomorrow, half the students in UCC will have no homes for a week I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I just waded through about 2 feet of water to get to my house on western road, right beside the main gates. Thankfully, it hasn't reached my car yet, its a good 15 feet or so in off the road on the driveway. I have to go to work in Limerick tomorrow so i hope to fcuk it will have receeded some bit as i dont fancy driving through that water!

Fcuking terrific! We've started taking on water now, its gushing through the front door. There's already about a foot of it downstairs and its growing. Me thinks grenache will need rescuing in the morn. And my baby isn't fully comp, only third party insured. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Donovans road looking onto the chipper and cafe there by the gates of ucc. There were people swimming in it.

dsc01474filtered.jpg
    dsc01473filtered.jpg

• Advertisement

Baaahahahahahahaha

I live up a hill.....
    W@nker! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 IrishGreenSheep

Clonmel is the same as ever - fecked!

I'm down in Alverna on Mardyke Road and the water is just gushing down the road! Its about 3 foot deep. Improvised sandbags all the way - have managed to slow the water coming in a good bit but the army just ploughed down the road sending huge waves over cars and shaking them around, they were swiftly followed by an a*$e in a tractor going as fast as he possibly could so anyone with destroyed cars can blame him for a fair amount of the water that gushed into the cars!!

High tide is in about half an hour so we'll see what happens then......

Oh and no pictures because my camera is in the car......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

its all closed down anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Any idea where they are staying if they have been evacuated?

Anybody know? I'm curious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just got a text from a friend

UCC is closed today. No lectures. Emergency accommodation for students in the Electrical Engineering building L1. Call/text the SU hotline 0863836795 if you need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This is mad, I really want to see more pics!

Im grand anyway, high up out the country :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Haha, I have a sociology test today. :D. I love rain. And I love living on top of a hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had a day off today anyway, thank you eng ball, but was gonna go to a tutorial in the WGB at 12, looks like that is not gonna happen now.

Hope the rest of you are ok.:)

From Alverna. The pictures make it look a bit better than it actually is :p you cant see how fast the water is moving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

I've a sociology test today too:) I'm over the moon!:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

talking about the floods on 96fm at the moment

Parts of the southside and northside will be without drinking water for three or four days - flood water damaged huge valves in a pump house. Tankers with fresh water are being taken into the northside at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 There is no dog

here's a link to photos I took on Dyke Parade
    http://gallery.me.com/tim.mcsweeney#100008

The college, library and the ORB are all ghastly quiet. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

From Alverna. The pictures make it look a bit better than it actually is :p you cant see how fast the water is moving

Wow that is pretty bad! I remember it 4 or 5 years ago and exploring the city during it. Patrick street was flooded as was all along the mardyke and all but this looks a lot worse. I know people living on western road between the main gates and castlewhite, looks like their places are fecked. they are dumps anyway so not too bad:P

• Advertisement

I was talking a woman who has lived here for 40 years and has never seen Alverna flood like this

glanman wrote: »
    Wow that is pretty bad! I remember it 4 or 5 years ago and exploring the city during it. Patrick street was flooded as was all along the mardyke and all but this looks a lot worse. I know people living on western road between the main gates and castlewhite, looks like their places are fecked. they are dumps anyway so not too bad:P

Its the worst floods in Cork in 80 years according to some people! They had to release water from the dam last night because it was building up to such an extent that there was a serious risk the dam would burst.

Wall by the mercy collapsed and people were evacuated from the Kingsley

Is it possible to get into the city centre (walking).

sunnyside wrote: »
    if you dont mind getting wet to around your waist!

I'd like to get a serious answer to this, what places are badly hit? Appreciated.

• Advertisement

You can probably find a way alrite, could take you a while to find a way to get in while dry! Floods are receding a bit.

edit: saw reacher post

worst places hit are down along the western road, in as far as the north gate. Not sure how far it stretches past vic mills etc, but from listening to the radio, those places are worst hit, still under feet of water.

Walking from College road to town? No floodwaters of my own to clear up and I want to go out and have a look.

To be honest I would doubt you could get in but I am not there but in my opinion based on apst experiences, either:

You will get stopped by cops/council/army

or

You won't be able to get in as Cork City is an island and you will have to cross the river at some point. Western Road, Washington Street, Mardyke Road are all flooded, thats out. Grand Parade is flooded, thats out.

Walking from College road to town? No floodwaters of my own to clear up and I want to go out and have a look.

Wak down Barrack street or walk down donavans road

glanman wrote: »
    To be honest I would doubt you could get in but I am not there but in my opinion based on apst experiences, either:

You will get stopped by cops/council/army

or

You won't be able to get in as Cork City is an island and you will have to cross the river at some point. Western Road, Washington Street, Mardyke Road are all flooded, thats out. Grand Parade is flooded, thats out.

There is one of the girls who works on the radio that managed to get into the city from Ballincollig, I presume she was driving :D so it is possible

Students were swimming on the Western road, out in their jocks and underwear and throwing frisbees according to a city taxi man!:D:D

edit: saw reacher post

worst places hit are down along the western road, in as far as the north gate. Not sure how far it stretches past vic mills etc, but from listening to the radio, those places are worst hit, still under feet of water.

I don't go in by the Western Road but by Barrack Street, then I cross over the footbridge onto Grand Parade Street, looks screwed though from a number of pics I've seen. I'll have to try find another way.

Pics of UCC area I seen on the 'Flood Warning...' thread over on Cork City boards -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63100307&postcount=32

Thread -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744976&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Mardyke Arena badly flooded.Several staff trapped in building overnight.Wont be open for a while i reckon.Water up five steps of the stairs if your familiar

Its the worst floods in Cork in 80 years according to some people! They had to release water from the dam last night because it was building up to such an extent that there was a serious risk the dam would burst.

What would happen if the dam burst that would be worse than this situation? Is it something to do with electricity supply? Sorry if that's a stupid question-I'm just curious.

It's such a strange morning. The sun is shining, 2 separate postmen delivered ebay packages to me this morning, one was registered post, the other normal post. It seemed really strange for everything to be so "business as usual" when there is such cahos and devestation so close by.

I want to go out to see what's happening because I don't want to spend the day in the house when something like this is happening. I want to see the damage for myself instead of just looking at the pictures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement