Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Road Flooded

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah if I was walking barefoot last night then I'd want a tetnis shot tbh...

Some of the stuff is disgusting! I was at home today where there was flooding, and you could see where the floodwaters were at their height, but it left a trail of sludge and slime - looked disgusting and stank!

Can't believe people went swimming in it - would they go swimming in the Lee when its not in flood - highly doubt it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Couldn't believe there was eejits swimming in the lake outside the main college gates last nite, they'd really want to have their heads examined. Saw a lot of people taking off shoes and wading thru the water. So glad i kept mine on, you really dont know what you're stepping on and what kind of crap (literally) the flood has dragged up from the manholes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

for a bit of humour, this photo was one I took at home Monday, note the sign!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/161110/96696.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

What a crazy 48 hours or so. Ireland robbed of qualifying for the world cup at the hands of the french man which they call Henry and now Cork is flooded. Had a pharmacy party last night in vic lodge. Place got flooded so we were flooded in for the night so we had to crash there for the night! Managed to get evacuated by the means of a tractor with a trailer attached to the back! All in all despite it all,happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

JSK 252 wrote: »
    a tractor with a trailer attached to the back!

Very decent of the CIT president to allow his official car to be used to evacuate UCC students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I need a shower, i need to brush my teeth and i need to flush the fuckin jacks........

:mad::mad::mad:

I need a shower, i need to brush my teeth and i need to flush the fuckin jacks........

Well you're not going to achieve much of that while sitting in front of your computer, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Living up a hill isn't much use to you now L :D Should have gone home to the Well for the weekend!!

@nova: I LOL'd at the tractor comment :D

grenache wrote: »

@nova: I LOL'd at the tractor comment :D

I'm not surprised; nothing is quite as funny as the truth. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Nova_era wrote: »
    Well you're not going to achieve much of that while sitting in front of your computer, are you?

I've no water:rolleyes:

I've no water:rolleyes:

That sucks, have you any reason why?

I'd suggest getting into the County Council, and/or Joe Duffy.

Excuse me while I go to sue a woman over a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

JSK 252 wrote: »
    What a crazy 48 hours or so. Ireland robbed of qualifying for the world cup at the hands of the french man which they call Henry and now Cork is flooded. Had a pharmacy party last night in vic lodge. Place got flooded so we were flooded in for the night so we had to crash there for the night! Managed to get evacuated by the means of a tractor with a trailer attached to the back! All in all despite it all,happy days!

My dad was the bald guy in the trailer helping people onto it. They only finished up about 8.30. He said that with all that happened they had a good laugh with the students they were moving around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nova_era, you hate CIT do ya?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

What a disaster the last two days have been! Got back from the law dinner thurs nite only to find a 4ft river between us and the village. Apparently it was locked up anyway and no one was getting in or out. We were well and truly homeless. The floods came up to roof level of Our room mates 05 Golf and it is now 100% f*cked. Had to head home on fri wearin someone elses clothes and all i had wit me was wat Id brought with me on Thursday's night out. Its going to be a long week off without all my stuff! Glad to be home and dont know what expect the Monday after next. Dont think Cork will be the same at all for a long while. Hope things dont get much worse for anyone up there over the weekend and that everyone has somewhere safe and dry to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Anybody have any info about Vic Mills? I doubt we're allowed back in yet??

Jayeire wrote: »
    Anybody have any info about Vic Mills? I doubt we're allowed back in yet??

The SU helplines are 0214902953 and 0214903218 - text message I got said to ring either of them for any advice needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

All I can say is the flooding hasn't affected me, and that's all that matters.:p

My sympathy goes out to all the plonkers who shelled out 5k for plush apartments the size of a shoebox; and all the poor souls whose fancy cars have been ruined.

It's gonna be an expensive credit card bill for many dads!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

Yeah has anybody rang the student helpline about Vic Mills??? We prob wont be left back in until next week.
    thank god I live on the 3rd floor! how bad was it anyway?? what about the under ground carpark! did any1 hear of the damage to cars.... I moved mine! thank f**k! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Brosnan! wrote: »
    Yeah has anybody rang the student helpline about Vic Mills??? We prob wont be left back in until next week.
    thank god I live on the 3rd floor! how bad was it anyway?? what about the under ground carpark! did any1 hear of the damage to cars.... I moved mine! thank f**k! :D

I'm helping on the phonelines and yeah it wont be til the 29th at the earliest that you'll be allowed back in unfortunately :( Damn Health and Safety laws, but tis the rules unfortunately and they're there to stop any more accidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

All I can say is the flooding hasn't affected me, and that's all that matters.:p

My sympathy goes out to all the plonkers who shelled out 5k for plush apartments the size of a shoebox; and all the poor souls whose fancy cars have been ruined.

It's gonna be an expensive credit card bill for many dads!:o

I don't think you will be round these parts too long. Enjoy the trolling:)

glanman wrote: »
    I don't think you will be round these parts too long. Enjoy the trolling:)
    Just stating my opinion - that's hardly trolling, is it?:rolleyes:

I'm helping on the phonelines and yeah it wont be til the 29th at the earliest that you'll be allowed back in unfortunately :( Damn Health and Safety laws, but tis the rules unfortunately and they're there to stop any more accidents

I'm not surprised - the amount of sh*te that was dragged up from the river! Infectionsville!! They'll have to check all the wiring and foundations etc before declaring anything safe - as well as that, there could be damage that might not show up for a few months. I know where I'm living, floods regularly hit, but with the new floodworks, the shops aren't affected anymore, but before they used by quite a while before getting back in and operating, same for people getting into homes. In fairness, UCC and the SU are doing very well - there obviously a plan in place for an event like this (which there should be!), and it clicked into action very well.

Devestated about the Mardyke - gonna take an age to sort the stuff there. One of the manager there said it'll be about a month to get it running, longer for the hall to be sorted, the amount of work to be done will be unreal, the swimming pool to be emptied and refilled (which will be some job because of the sludge that will be in the water, not a simple task at all!), tiles probably damaged, rewiring, getting new gym equipment if it has been destroyed, nosh and coffee to be sorted - a load of cleaning! AFAIK there is still water in there!

WBG and the Tyndall National Institute - 2 new buildings with considerable damage! From 2nite Echo - "thousands of euro worth of damage was done to buildings and the on-going evaluation of damage to the university's facilites and equipment may take some time" Mentioned the insurers as well examining the damage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

What other reason are you posting for other than to annoy people/get a reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I respect your opinion but, honestly, you're trolling

*rant* How would you feel if you lost your home to a flood or if you lost a car that you've been saving for all your life for to a flood. How are these people "plonkers" if their living on their own?? It's called freedom, every person has it and finally, you do know people work to get money, right? Not everybody has to use "Dads money" to pay for everything. *rant*

What I'm saying is don't rub it in the wounds of people who are affected by the floods but hey, it's Just my opinion though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Just making stupid comments poking fun at people whose accomodation has been ruined and cars destroyed - that's hardly an opinion is it?

Quit the trolling or don't post here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

WBG and the Tyndall National Institute - 2 new buildings with considerable damage! From 2nite Echo - "thousands of euro worth of damage was done to buildings and the on-going evaluation of damage to the university's facilites and equipment may take some time" Mentioned the insurers as well examining the damage!

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if it ran to the millions like :(

glanman wrote: »
    What other reason are you posting for other than to annoy people/get a reaction?

Don't bother posting back to them - they are just looking for a reaction! It wasn't an opinion, just a troll.

There was some serious damage done, students have lost cars, their accomodation damaged and lost a lot of possessions, including coursework for college, notes etc that will take a long time to recover - the poster obviously does not know how badly this can affect people.

I respect your opinion but, honestly, you're trolling

*rant* How would you feel if you lost your home to a flood or if you lost a car that you've been saving for all your life for to a flood. How are these people "plonkers" if their living on their own?? It's called freedom, every person has it and finally, you do know people work to get money, right? Not everybody has to use "Dads money" to pay for everything. *rant*

What I'm saying is don't rub it in the wounds of people who are affected by the floods but hey, it's Just my opinion though

My comment was taken out of context it seems.

I wasn't suggesting everyone deserved this - just the people who paid 5k a year for student accommmadation. I do realise some unfortunate people were hit(including a friend of mine whose car was destroyed).

Sorry for the confusion everyone!:(

• Advertisement

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if it ran to the millions like :(

I'm presuming they were covered by insurance, since they did mention about insurers coming out looking at the damage. If not, where will they get the money? Forgot to mention the award winning Glucksman Gallery, wasn't there a big exhibition down there at the moment? or was down there - a lot of damage done to that as well!

Advertisement