Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Road Flooded

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Don't bother posting back to them - they are just looking for a reaction! It wasn't an opinion, just a troll.

There was some serious damage done, students have lost cars, their accomodation damaged and lost a lot of possessions, including coursework for college, notes etc that will take a long time to recover - the poster obviously does not know how badly this can affect people.

Yeah, what with the WBG, Tyndall, Mardyke, priceless art in the basement of the Glucksman... Devastation :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

My comment was taken out of context it seems.

I wasn't suggesting everyone deserved this - just the people who paid 5k a year for student accommmadation. I do realise some unfortunate people were hit(including a friend of mine whose car was destroyed).

Sorry for the confusion everyone!:(

Mate, no one deserved it full stop. What difference does people who pay Xk a year actually make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

My comment was taken out of context it seems.

I wasn't suggesting everyone deserved this - just the people who paid 5k a year for student accommmadation. I do realise some unfortunate people were hit(including a friend of mine whose car was destroyed).

So what if they can afford 5k for student accomodation. Its downright stupid to suggest that some people deserved. I wouldn't wish what happened on anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

Yeah, what with the WBG, Tyndall, Mardyke, priceless art in the basement of the Glucksman... Devastation :eek:

I heard it wasn't stored in the basement?

Still, I wouldn't go as far as saying it was priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

:rolleyes: That's what accomodation costs. Nobody deserves to have their belongings destroyed in a flood regardless of their financial situation.

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    So what if they can afford 5k for student accomodation. Its downright stupid to suggest that some people deserved. I wouldn't wish what happened on anyone

These people are responsible for the astronomical rent for students in Cork!:mad: If they weren't prepared to pay 5k, this would reduce the outrageous charges for student areas in the city.

This is the reason I have no sympathy for either the students or their Landrovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I heard it wasn't stored in the basement?

Still, I wouldn't go as far as saying it was priceless.

Yeah it was stored in the basement and if not priceless than quite valuable. AFAIK it was loaned for an exhibition as well.

sunnyside wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That's what accomodation costs. Nobody deserves to have their belongings destroyed in a flood regardless of their financial situation.

So you think all student accommodation costs 5k?

LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

These people are responsible for the astronomical rent for students in Cork!:mad: If they weren't prepared to pay 5k, this would reduce the outrageous charges for student areas in the city.

This is the reason I have no sympathy for either the students or their Landrovers.

is that a massive chip on your shoulder I see??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I must say thats one of the stupidest agruements ive seen on boards in quite a while. Its common sense that rents in or near cities,colleges etc etc are going to be high. I of course respect your opinion :rolleyes: but in now way agree with it.

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    is that a massive chip on your shoulder I see??

Not at all - it's just nice to see the smug students take a bit of a hit.

Look at it this way - how many Vic Mills residents are boasting of their luxurious pads now?

My nice dry house isn't looking too beggarly at the moment!:o

Also they still havent removed the water from the basement of the Glucksman. Apparently its safer to leave them in water for a little longer as if they remove the water without treating the picutres properly they will be totlay destroyed. Some experts or insurance guys were down from Belfast today to check it all out.

I must say thats one of the stupidest agruements ive seen on boards in quite a while. Its common sense that rents in or near cities,colleges etc etc are going to be high. I of course respect your opinion :rolleyes: but in now way agree with it.

Why is Cork far more pricier than any other city(with the exception of Dublin)?

Student rents in Galway and Limerick are a fraction of Vic Mills and Uni Hall ect etc.

5k(150 pw) for a small apartment is insane, and I have no sympathy for anyone who would part with such a sum.

Remember, just my opinion.

Look at it this way - how many Vic Mills residents are boasting of their luxurious pads now?

And how many students that work a job or two outisde of college to pay for accomodation or whos parents have re-mortaged their houses to pay for their childrens housing are smiling now not knowing when they will get back? Oh yeah im sure they are all quite the smug type you are talking about........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Will you give the f**k over - the UCC accomodation would cost that anyway, didn't see them lowering the costs even though there is a lot of empty apartments! A lot of students have to stay in Cork and work quite hard during the summer and work part time to pay for that accomodation, and aren't smug. You obviously haven't had your personal possessions destroyed like that ever, I have every sympathy for the students who had stuff destoyed - i know people whose homes were detroyed, and a lot of possessions destroyed and it is very hard for them.
    Yeah it was stored in the basement and if not priceless than quite valuable. AFAIK it was loaned for an exhibition as well.

A lot of the stuff is loaned and irreplaceable - you can probably put a price on it, and they are valuable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not everyone living in Vic Mills is smug.
    Not everyone in Vic Mills boasts about their accomodation.

You just sound bitter against students that have more money than you and laughing about their misfortune is pathetic.

Now can everyone please quit the discussion about accomodation rent rates. That is not what this thread is for.
    Back on topic please.

And how many students that work a job or two outisde of college to pay for accomodation or whos parents have re-mortaged their houses to pay for their childrens housing are smiling now not knowing when they will get back? Oh yeah im sure they are all quite the smug type you are talking about........

These people deserve this event the most imo!

Who would work all summer just to live in a student apartment? that is insanity personified!

As for parents remortaging their homes - that is irresponsible madness! Hopefully they will not make such a foolish decision again.

This snobby attitude needs to be eradicated in Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've never heard anyone boasting about living in Vic Mills to be honest. Your argument that it raises the price of student houses is laughable, the reason student houses are so expensive is that there is a high level of demand so that landlords can charge high prices. Anyone with even a basic grasp of economics should be able to grasp that.

Anyway most appartments include utilities in the fee so they aren't that much more expensive than houses at the end of the day

Edit: My Bad, Knife Wrench only saw your warning now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

This thread is about the flooding in Cork, NOT a debate about the price of student accomodation.
    Anymore off topic posting will result in infractions.

Not everyone living in Vic Mills is smug.
    Not everyone in Vic Mills boasts about their accomodation.

You just sound bitter against students that have more money than you and laughing about their misfortune is pathetic.

Now can everyone please quit the discussion about accomodation rent rates. That is not what this thread is for.
    Back on topic please.

I never said all, but fair enough! I'm not poor just not stupid enough to shell out 5 k for a shoebox - that's all!

I've said my bit!:o

• Advertisement

Back on topic, any news on whether the Western Rd is still flooded. Was gonna check but saw 5 bolts of lightning and am staying here for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyway,Back to the flood,Has anybody heard anything about the WGB or the Mardyke?Is there another gym we'd be able to use?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anyway,Back to the flood,Has anybody heard anything about the WGB or the Mardyke?Is there another gym we'd be able to use?

Both should take abround 2 months to repair(I know people who work in both).

I use neither, so I'm not overly concerned!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Haven't you been banned yet?

Mardyke will be out of action for about a month - talking to one of the guys who works there, his manager reckons it'll be about a month to get it operational again, two even three months to sort the hall. Floor in the hall was floating. Don't think they have been able to get in there yet to start a cleanup- staff were trapped overnight, the floodwater came up to between the fifth and sixth step of the stairs, and they are high stairs!

Not sure about the WGB, but there is damage to transformers in the basement so they'll have to be replaced as the power will be out otherwise. Plenty of cleaning to be done as well

My dad was down at the WGB and at the colleges buildings on the western road today basicaly ripping out everything on the ground floors. The main problem with the WGB is that the generators for the building were in the basement so are now completely destroyed. The mardyke is just a complete mess. Will probably be weeks before its open fully again. The international students building were absolutely wreskec too. All their files,exam result,exam papers were omcpletely destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The main problem with the WGB is that the generators for the building were in the basement so are now completely destroyed.

You mean transformers. Last I heard (~4pm) there was no confirmation that they were gone - if they are this is very bad news.

Mardyke will be out of action for about a month - talking to one of the guys who works there, his manager reckons it'll be about a month to get it operational again, two even three months to sort the hall. Floor in the hall was floating. Don't think they have been able to get in there yet to start a cleanup- staff were trapped overnight, the floodwater came up to between the fifth and sixth step of the stairs, and they are high stairs!

Not sure about the WGB, but there is damage to transformers in the basement so they'll have to be replaced as the power will be out otherwise. Plenty of cleaning to be done as well

On a positive note-- the pitches won't need watering for a while.:o

Both should take abround 2 months to repair(I know people who work in both).

I use neither, so I'm not overly concerned!

delighted for u:rolleyes: completely screws with my degree though - I'm either in the WGB, Mardyke or Connolly. Screws with a lot of peoples degrees actually
    On a positive note-- the pitches won't need watering for a while.:o

Those pitches may need to be ripped up, plus its likely our practical module for this semester will be cancelled - and I was really enjoying it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

ok first of all.... i live in vic mills and im not posh or 'smug' as u call it! all i see on your part is jealously! why give out about it so much if u dont care! clearly your not a very nice person if u think that 'we' as in 'us boasters' deserve it. No one does. also when was the last time you ever heard any1 'boasting' about living in vic mills??

your 'nice dry house' was luckily built on high ground. it could easily have been the the other way around. it jus happened that it's settled by a river that burst its banks.
    grow up and get over yourself!

• Advertisement

Brosnan! wrote: »
    ok first of all.... i live in vic mills and im not posh or 'smug' as u call it! all i see on your part is jealously! why give out about it so much if u dont care! clearly your not a very nice person if u think that 'we' as in 'us boasters' deserve it. No one does. also when was the last time you ever heard any1 'boasting' about living in vic mills??

your 'nice dry house' was luckily built on high ground. it could easily have been the the other way around. it jus happened that it's settled by a river that burst its banks.
    grow up and get over yourself!

Mate, don't bother. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63123743&postcount=140

Advertisement