Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Road Flooded

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Mardyke hall :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

delighted for u:rolleyes: completely screws with my degree though - I'm either in the WGB, Mardyke or Connolly. Screws with a lot of peoples degrees actually

Those pitches may need to be ripped up, plus its likely our practical module for this semester will be cancelled - and I was really enjoying it:mad:

I appreciate some students will be badly affected by this - but not me, so why should I care?

Surely you could move your sporting activities module to 'The Farm'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Brosnan! infracted for off topic posting.

ThePirateGay - you're on thin ice as it is. Anymore comments like "I'm not affected, so why should I care" and you'll be banned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I appreciate some students will be badly affected by this - but not me, so why should I care?

Why are you posting here if you don't care?:rolleyes:

Doubt it very much, as well as that they aren't sporting activities they are practical modules that we must do. First years have athletics and swimming, can't see where they will be going, and we have to complete each module to be signed off to be able to teach them. I was doing rugyb, supposed to have badminton after Christmas. We'll have to make up the hours no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

who said the modules that we are missing out on are outside activities!??
    the PE class in UCC have 4 years of practical modules that will all be cancelled id say.

that picture of the hall is crazy...! nothing going on there for a while! will insurance cover it all!?? a floor alone for the size of the hall there will be about 3000!

oh why shud u care??? i dunno... go offline so and stop annoying ppl! :mad:

• Advertisement

Brosnan! wrote: »
    the PE class in UCC have 4 years of practical modules that will all be cancelled id say.

that picture of the hall is crazy...! nothing going on there for a while! will insurance cover it all!?? a floor alone for the size of the hall there will be about 3000!

Which is what I'm doing! Plus we also do practical teaching sessions down the Mardyke - we were doing teaching practise in the hall for the past number of weeks, plus there was a workshop due to be held down there. And they are quite strict about doing em, if we miss two out of the 12, we will be failed, no matter how well we do in the reflections, or any written assignment we are given. If we are injured or sick and able to go in, we're expected to be there, with a cert to say why we aren't doing it

Why are you posting here if you don't care?:rolleyes:

Doubt it very much - we've lectures straight after the module. First years have athletics and swimming, can't see where they will be going, and we have to complete each module to be signed off to be able to teach them.

I'm sure you'll be able to make up for the modules some time in the future.

I'm posting here so I can find out about the latest developments. It's nice to keep up to date with all the goings on.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Mardyke hall :(

God Almighty:eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure you'll be able to make up for the modules some time in the future.

I'm posting here so I can find out about the latest developments. It's nice to keep up to date with all the goings on.:o

To keep up with the latest developments doesn't mean you need to post! You simply read the posts, and if you have a question, then post it!

We'll have to make up the modules after the end of semester 2, no choice about that (and we also have a one day GAA module after the college year ends anyway, plus they have to reschedule campcraft!). For one module, we have to write a scientific paper on athlete performance testing supposed to be done in the Mardyke, two out of the three groups haven't completed the testing and therefore cannot complete the module. Thats only for the second years, plenty of juggling to sort the other years as well. It causes a lot of hassle - as well as that, for the fourth year students that will be graduating, it'll be hard for them to make up the hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Brosnan! wrote: »

I would say add a zero to that at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Now is the time when us UCC students should try and band together, instead of fighting and argueing over things which simply don't matter.

So many people in college are on such tight budgets as it is, that it's so sad and unfair to see their living places getting destroyed. I really hope that nobody is really suffering after it, and that everyone has somewhere to go.

Fairplay to the SU, who are really a breath of fresh air, and are really dedicating themselves to the best needs of the students they represent.

Nova_era wrote: »
    Now is the time when us UCC students should try and band together, instead of fighting and argueing over things which simply don't matter.

So many people in college are on such tight budgets as it is, that it's so sad and unfair to see their living places getting destroyed. I really hope that nobody is really suffering after it, and that everyone has somewhere to go.

Fairplay to the SU, who are really a breath of fresh air, and are really dedicating themselves to the best needs of the students they represent.

Has anyone heard anything about a rebate for the time we won't have access to the Mardyke?

I'm already annoyed I have to pay for other people to use the place - I don't see why I should have to do so when it's not available.:mad:

I'm 19, don't go to UCC but live right by it so I have a major interest in this. It really is awful that people's homes/cars/personal items have been destroyed by this.

I used to go to the C.I.T (I know) and have heard that their SU have done f all to help anybody caught up in this while the UCC SU have gone out and have as many people as they can

+1,000 UCC SU for, as Nova_era said, really dedicating themselves to the best needs of the students they represent.

Has anyone heard anything about a rebate for the time we won't have access to the Mardyke?

I'm already annoyed I have to pay for other people to use the place - I don't see I should have to do so when it's not available.:mad:

Are you an economist?! People are currently ****ing homeless, and you're worried if you'll get a few quid back due to a gym which you probably don't even use, being closed for a few months?! Get a bloody grip.

Sorry, what did you say, I don't understand that:confused::confused:

He obviously skipped English class to count his pennies instead.

Are you an economist?! People are currently ****ing homeless, and you're worried if you'll get a few quid back due to a gym which you probably don't even use, being closed for a few months?! Get a bloody grip.

You see that's the problem! I'm already aggrieved I'm paying for others to use it at my considerable expense. There is no justification for doing so if the place is inaccessible!:mad:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anyway,Back to the flood,Has anybody heard anything about the WGB or the Mardyke?Is there another gym we'd be able to use?

to which ThePirayeGay responded

Both should take abround 2 months to repair(I know people who work in both).

I use neither so I'm not overly concerned!

I'm already annoyed I have to pay for other people to use the place - I don't see why I should have to do so when it's not available.:mad:
    Are you an economist?! People are currently ****ing homeless, and you're worried if you'll get a few quid back due to a gym which you don't even use, being closed for a few months?! Get a bloody grip.

Corrected that for u Nova

You see that's the problem! I'm already aggrieved I'm paying for others to use it at my considerable expense. There is no justification for doing so if the place is inaccessible!:mad:

Have you broken down the registration fee, to see what else you're paying for?

You're also paying VAT to the government, which they spend on sick people. If you're not sick, do you think that you shouldn't be paying VAT?

Have you broken down the registration fee, to see what else you're paying for?

You're also paying VAT to the government, which they spend on sick people. If you're not sick, do you think that you shouldn't be paying VAT?

Big difference there! The government are currently treating sick people - the Mardyke is not providing any facilities, therefore there is no justification for the charge!

I'll be contacting UCC to demand a rebate for the time the facility is out of order!:mad:

Right, will ye stay on topic as yer going to get infractions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

who exactly are u paying for??

Right, will ye stay on topic as yer going to get infractions.

This is on topic! It relates to the Mardyke which was effected by the flooding!

Pirate Guy, go and post a thread on the matter, as I'd love to discuss this with you, as would many others I'm sure. However this thread is'nt the place to do it, as has been pointed out already a few times.

Big difference there! The government are currently treating sick people - the Mardyke is not providing any facilities, therefore there is no justification for the charge!

I'll be contacting UCC to demand a rebate for the time the facility is out of order!:mad:

For a place that you just admitted that you don't use - are u for f**king real?:rolleyes::rolleyes: Honestly??

Anyway back on topic, there is more rain due for Cork city, been told it could cost nearly a million to sort the Mardyke. They are hoping it stays dry and the dam does not leave out any more water, so it won't be flooded again and they can start the clean up operation

Pirate Guy, go and post a thread on the matter, as I'd love to discuss this with you, as would many others I'm sure. However this thread is'nt the place to do it, as has been pointed out already a few times.

Is the water gone from your place, Nova_era??

Is the water gone from your place, Nova_era??

No, thankfully. I really don't think I could survive without a shower. I would actually go insane, I can't function unless I've had a shower. It's actually a big problem! :(

Please god don't let the water go.

For a place that you just admitted that you don't use - are u for f**king real?:rolleyes::rolleyes: Honestly??

Anyway back on topic, there is more rain due for Cork city, been told it could cost nearly a million to sort the Mardyke. They are hoping it stays dry and the dam does not leave out any more water, so it won't be flooded again and they can start the clean up operation

Up to now, the showers are really heavy, tis fairly windy outside, saw 5 bolts of lightning (so far) and heard no thunder

It's just dawned on me; has anyone ever seen ThePirateGay and Thierry Henry in the same room?

Nope, did'nt think so....

No, thankfully. I really don't think I could survive without a shower. I would actually go insane, I can't function unless I've had a shower. It's actually a big problem! :(

Please god don't let the water go.

On this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63124829#post63124829, and this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63121879#post63121879 I've read a number of people are losing their water within the next 20 mins. It'll be worth your while to check up on them

• Advertisement

It's just dawned on me; has anyone ever seen ThePirateGay and Thierry Henry in the same room?

Nope, did'nt think so....

I don't have any other accounts on this site! Feel free to check my IP address!

Advertisement