Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Road Flooded

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I was doing some searching about the Mardyke - in 2006, there was an extension built to the Mardyke, details of which are below

2006 Extension to Mardyke Arena Sports Centre at UCC
    Architects: Wilson Architecture
    Value: € 3.7 million
    Size: 2,777 m2
    Project Description:
    Construction of a new 2 storey extension at the eastern end of the existing facility and construction of a new fitness suite on 2 No. floors, refurbishment of the existing sports hall and new extensions and alterations to existing coffee dock and kitchen areas.

What I have in bold, will have to be done again, as well as replacing the equipment that was damaged, some pieces of equipment can cost a grand or two each. Plus the biometric access system will have to be replaced, as well as the cleaning job to be done in the pool and pool area - the lockers and village may have to be completely replaced. the computer systems that your can have your personalised routine as set out by the trainers are more than likely damaged as well. Complete retiling, water systems will have to be repaired - a lot of work

details of the 2000 building are http://www.akc.ie/index.php?pageID=143

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Does anybody know what the flooding is like at the moment down in vic cross??? I haven't seen it since yesterday afternoon and it was bad but seemed to be getting a little better.

I live down there but luckily my apartment is on a high floor that the floods couldn't get to. I hope things start to get better soon and people get sorted for accommodation. It's easy for alot of us to go home to different counties but I'm sure there is alot of students from different countries that have nowhere else to go at the moment. There is also alot of students whos apartments and alot of posessions have gotten damaged because of the floods. The UCC SU have also done a really great job so well done to them. I go to CIT (yeah yeah, I know) and they haven't even acknowledged that there is flooding.......

I wish people would stop arguing and just try to be sympathetic and informative on the situation at the moment. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Update on student accomodation - email from Ian Power

STUDENT ACCOMMODATION UPDATE

Students that are residents of Victoria Lodge, Castlewhite & University Hall are advised to stay away from the complexes until they have been told it is safe to return. Emergency arrangements have been made for those that need accommodation up to the 30th of November. All students who can stay with their families and friends in Cork or their home counties are advised to do so for as long as possible.
    UCC Campus accommodation will inform students during the week (Nov 23rd-Nov 27th) about arrangements for after November 30th.

Any students living in private student accommodation (not owned by UCC) are asked to contact their landlord to find out what they will be providing for them while they make your accommodation safe. The SU have a limited amount of emergency accommodation so please call one of our helplines if you need somewhere to stay.

Please call us on 021 490 3133, 021 490 2953 or 021 490 3218 if you have any further questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I was doing some searching about the Mardyke - in 2006, there was an extension built to the Mardyke, details of which are below

2006 Extension to Mardyke Arena Sports Centre at UCC
    Architects: Wilson Architecture
    Value: € 3.7 million
    Size: 2,777 m2
    Project Description:
    Construction of a new 2 storey extension at the eastern end of the existing facility and construction of a new fitness suite on 2 No. floors, refurbishment of the existing sports hall and new extensions and alterations to existing coffee dock and kitchen areas.

What I have in bold, will have to be done again, as well as replacing the equipment that was damaged, some pieces of equipment can cost a grand or two each. Plus the biometric access system will have to be replaced, as well as the cleaning job to be done in the pool and pool area - the lockers and village may have to be completely replaced. the computer systems that your can have your personalised routine as set out by the trainers are more than likely damaged as well. Complete retiling, water systems will have to be repaired - a lot of work

details of the 2000 building are http://www.akc.ie/index.php?pageID=143

Do the pitches count as well rebel girl 15?? What you've outlined in bold is some serious damage that will run from the 50,000e mark to around the 100000e mark, I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

I noticed that there will be a 1 month extention to ALL assignments. Does this include ones that are'nt due in the coming week?

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what the flooding is like at the moment down in vic cross??? I haven't seen it since yesterday afternoon and it was bad but seemed to be getting a little better.

I live down there but luckily my apartment is on a high floor that the floods couldn't get to. I hope things start to get better soon and people get sorted for accommodation. It's easy for alot of us to go home to different counties but I'm sure there is alot of students from different countries that have nowhere else to go at the moment. There is also alot of students whos apartments and alot of posessions have gotten damaged because of the floods. The UCC SU have also done a really great job so well done to them. I go to CIT (yeah yeah, I know) and they haven't even acknowledged that there is flooding.......

I wish people would stop arguing and just try to be sympathetic and informative on the situation at the moment. :(

This is a time ALL students from Cork should unite. Who cares if your UCC/CIT, everyone has been affected by the floods

Rebel Girl 15's post is really helpful but, looking in the CIT forum, the CIT don't really care about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

Nova_era wrote: »
    I noticed that there will be a 1 month extention to ALL assignments. Does this include ones that are'nt due in the coming week?

Obviously not!

Obviously not!

Read it again. It says on ALL assignments so I'd asume so, Nova_Era

Read it again. It says on ALL assignments so I'd asume so, Nova_Era

I'm just assuming it is too, as they really made a big point of using the word "ALL" around 4 times. While I accept that it's not due in the coming week, I'll miss out on the lectures and also as they're advising people to avoid coming to UCC unless they have to, I can't imagine I'm going to have my best shot at the essay in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Its a one week extension I think, not one month :)

• Advertisement

Do the pitches count as well rebel girl 15?? What you've outlined in bold is some serious damage that will run from the 50,000e mark to around the 100000e mark, I'd say

Nope, the Mardyke Arena is a seperate entity to the PE office, which is responsible for everything outside. As well as that the PE office were moved down to a house just beyond the GAA pitch, and the office was flooded. They were renovating that place for the last six months, gonna cost a nice bit to sort it out, and hopefully had their documents backed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

I'm just assuming it is too, as they really made a big point of using the word "ALL" around 4 times. While I accept that it's not due in the coming week, I'll miss out on the lectures and also as they're advising people to avoid coming to UCC unless they have to, I can't imagine I'm going to have my best shot at the essay in the coming weeks.

So you really believe assignments in March will be extended?:confused:

If that is the case, it is absurd to say the least!

Nope, the Mardyke Arena is a seperate entity to the PE office, which is responsible for everything outside. As well as that the PE office were moved down to a house just beyond the GAA pitch, and the office was flooded. They were renovating that place for the last six months, gonna cost a nice bit to sort it out, and hopefully had their documents backed up

Thanks for clearing that up, wow:eek::eek:

My bad, typo! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Do u mean a one week extension? And rebel girl were the different clubs equipment in the hall badly damaged?

So you really believe assignments in March will be extended?:confused:

If that is the case, it is absurd to say the least!

A week, a month, we all make mistakes.

These showers are awful (another one just started)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

A week, a month, we all make mistakes.

These showers are awful (another one just started)

Yeah they are but they seem to come and go very quickly. Well over where i am anyway. Hopefully enough doesnt fall to to flood the city again.

Do u mean a one week extension? And rebel girl were the different clubs equipment in the hall badly damaged?

Honestly don't know, but I reckon they were. In the photo I posted, there is a lot of equipment that is on the ground in the presses to the right. I looked in it last week, cos our press is it in, and there was a lot of gear just left on the ground. Gymnastics equipment etc could be completely ruined. I'll find out if I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

How's Boole Library?

Orizio wrote: »
    How's Boole Library?

Its ok.

From the Library website

The Library is Open on Monday 23rd of November - normal hours

At this time, we expect the Library to open normal hours over the coming days unless there is further flooding and we are forced to close. We will endeavour to keep the website posted daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

or what about the boole computer rooms??? thats a basement!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Brosnan! wrote: »
    or what about the boole computer rooms??? thats a basement!?

They're grand, the flooding didn't reach that part of the campus. Was in there yesterday, all the Booles are locked but no flooding at all thank **** :)

Any other news on the floods??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Any other news on the floods??

I've heard it's meant to be bad rain tomorrow?I'm in Kerry now,Didn't want to stay at my digs in cork just in case I got stuck there!

Really hoping they'll get the CS servers back up/temporarily on line,I need to get an assignment off it!

Found this information regarding the flooding on Friday

When water was released from the Inniscarra dam, over eight hundred tonnes of water was being pumped per second from the dam. Currently levels have been reduced to two hundred and fifty tonnes per second.
    The Treatment plant at Lee Water works, were under 3 – 4 metres of water, levels which have never before been experienced or for that matter envisaged.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744976&page=24 - have a look regarding power/water outages

There is quite a bit of rain forecast - on the thread above there are reports of quite a bit of rain and wind, as well as lightening.

Kerry got a load of rain, so my hometown will probably be flooded again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Has anyone heard anything about a rebate for the time we won't have access to the Mardyke?

I'm already annoyed I have to pay for other people to use the place - I don't see why I should have to do so when it's not available.:mad:

Your post reminds me of this
    "Let Bears pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax"

Anyway, it's after raining there again (v heavy with hailstones), when d'ya think the floods will begin to recede???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brosnan!

ok can we all just ignore this (P)gays posts from now on.... its clear that hes only here to cause trouble.

there were also supposed to be very bad rain allday today too but nothing like we saw wed & thursday. and there will never be as much water to be left out of the dam again as they were holding back releasing it to look for the missing student. I dont think there will be any more flooding... rain yeah but i doubt there will be more flooding. lets all cross the fingers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyway, it's after raining there again (v heavy with hailstones), when d'ya think the floods will begin to recede???

Hailstones?! :eek:

I think they won't really recede,Unless we get alot of sunshine,But I'm sure the more badly flooded places would have to be pumped?That said I only saw the water levels on the morning that it happened and It could be much lower now,Are the student accommodations still flooded?Or it is more of a clean up now?

• Advertisement

Brosnan! wrote: »
    ok can we all just ignore this (P)gays posts from now on.... its clear that hes only here to cause trouble.

there were also supposed to be very bad rain allday today too but nothing like we saw wed & thursday. and there will never be as much water to be left out of the dam again as they were holding back releasing it to look for the missing student. I dont think there will be any more flooding... rain yeah but i doubt there will be more flooding. lets all cross the fingers anyway.

Agreed for the sake of this forum

It was very showery today, hail, lightning (I saw it 5 times) and very windy. Hopefully, that poor student will be found. Hopefully, there won't be anymore flooding, it's already ruined a load of people's life's and cause a hell of a lot of damage

Advertisement