Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street light right beside bedroom window, cant sleep.

• 20-11-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in an apartment and there is an outside light directly level with my bedroom about 6 metres away.

I believe it is part of the apartment scheme rather than public.

Basically, at night it floods my bedroom with light, and to sleep I have to completely cover the window, this makes it very hard to wake in the morning as I have no sunlight able to enter the room.

I'm sick of it, and need to know who to contact about it, as it is impossible to maintain any sort of natural sleep pattern with it where it is.

Is it council or management company I contact, and are the management likely to do anything about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi,

I live in an apartment and there is an outside light directly level with my bedroom about 6 metres away.

I believe it is part of the apartment scheme rather than public.

Basically, at night it floods my bedroom with light, and to sleep I have to completely cover the window, this makes it very hard to wake in the morning as I have no sunlight able to enter the room.

I'm sick of it, and need to know who to contact about it, as it is impossible to maintain any sort of natural sleep pattern with it where it is.

Is it council or management company I contact, and are the management likely to do anything about it? Thanks.

There is nothing the council will do for you here as far as I know, the lights are there for public safety etc, your only option is to get a blackout blind I'm afraid. Had the same problem myself in a rented apartment, most ppl learn to adjust to it, how long have you been living there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Jemmy wrote: »
    There is nothing the council will do for you here as far as I know, the lights are there for public safety etc, your only option is to get a blackout blind I'm afraid. Had the same problem myself in a rented apartment, most ppl learn to adjust to it, how long have you been living there?

4 months or so, I haven't adjusted, I can't wake properly without natural light in the morning, its been hell in the mornings.

Surely there is some regulation for this, lights shouldn't be pouring in windows, its not even a downward facing one, its right at me.

Is there anything I can do?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

4 months or so, I haven't adjusted, I can't wake properly without natural light in the morning, its been hell in the mornings.

Surely there is some regulation for this, lights shouldn't be pouring in windows, its not even a downward facing one, its right at me.

Is there anything I can do?

Street lights like that can be cowled away from habitable units, especially if located outside apartment blocks. If they are part of a private development, check the conditions of planning to see if theres a condition stating this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Something like this maybe?

model_green_mask.jpg

Sorry, couldnt resist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

muffler wrote: »
    Something like this maybe?

model_green_mask.jpg

Sorry, couldnt resist :)

Indeed... and the mask would probably help too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'll still lose my whole gradual natural lighting to wake me up thing.

I basically find it impossible to wake up if I don't have sunlight, I'm like a zombie for hours.

I'm gonna contact the management company about a cowel or some sort of cover on the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

climb up there with a tin of black gloss paint and paint the side that faces your room, If they fix it, do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

One of these http://www.somfy.co.uk/home/shop/products/185/en-uk/chronis-smart-rts.cfm combined with a remote controlled blackout blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

in a residential scheme their are guidelines to light spill/pollution.
    if light is spilling into windows make an official complaint if you are not getting any resolution - a back spill shield can be added to the back of the existing fitting if it is a standard streetlight shape (i.e where light is shining downwards) but if light is shining upwards to a shield and light is then directed back to your window - again a type of bevil can be put on to control where the light goes - but when a fitting is altered after supply a warranty is usually void...it really depends on how far you want to push it. the cost of material to control the spread of light can be relatively small - the cost would be in the hire of a lift to get access to the light as they are usually up 4-6m, and the time for the electrical company to organise and do it ....

contact the management company if no joy, contact the ESB contracts section (on a public streetlight their is normally a sticker somewhere on the pole with a number - this helps them identify location) or local authority - who ever is responsible for maintaining the lights (because after a development period the responsibility passes to other companies if not management operated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

CrinkElite wrote: »
    climb up there with a tin of black gloss paint and paint the side that faces your room, If they fix it, do it again.

It's 6m away, a brush on a stick would work :)

Advertisement