Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flood damage to Gearbox

• 20-11-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey,

I live in Galway and when had to drive through some flood water to get home last night. The car made it through, and started this morning no problem, but I can't put it into any gear. I guess the gearbox is all flooded or something.

Does anyone know if this will improve once its dried out, or if the gearbox sounds fecked and I need a new one.

Any ideas, let me know.

Cheers,
    PJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Gearboxes are generally well sealed as they need to be and constantly get
    wet or sprayed when it rains . You could have caused damage to the clutch assembly if water managed to get into the bell housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Thats an odd one. What vehicle is it? Would you know whether its a cable or hydraulically operated clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you get it in gear when not started?
    If it wont go into gear at all, could it be that youve got some debris from the flood caught up in the gear linkages or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

Thanks for the replies,

I can get it into gear when the car is not started. So from the answers here, than seems to be a clutch problem.

I will get it towed to to the garage and will see what they say.
    Thanks again,

PJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I have a 01 focus and the same happened to me when there was heavy flooding in the midlands last year, wouldnt go into gear when started but would when off. Thought id be in for a big bill so called a friend who happens to be a mechanic, he got in to have a look and got it in gear using a bit of brute force and ignorance. I cant remember exactly what he said was wrong, something about it being knocked outa alignment somewhere and needed to be knocked back in. No problems since.. Maybe worth a shot for u?

• Advertisement

hey Barly,

Thanks for the answer. Its a 01 Focus too. I hope its the same thing, as I don't have the cash (who has) to be buying a new clutch.

Will be towed to the garage later, so will let ye all know what the craic is.

Seems like all the garages are full fo people with similar problems. This flood might be like a shot in the arm for the garages.

Anyway, I am off to see if I can volunteer for helping out. From what I have heard, there is more bad wheather on the way.

Cheers,
    PJ

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Unbelieveable, I have the exact same problem with a 06 passat. Drove in fine this morning (through large floods). When I went back to car at lunch, I could not get it in gear. When I turn off the engine I can get it in to all gears without any problems..

I suppose I'll have to get it towed, disaster....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Would these problems be sticking clutches ?

unlikely i guess for rust to build up so quickly and seize them.

On test would be to star in gear with the clutch down - if the car lurches forward then its diffidently a seized clutch.

Unbelieveable, I have the exact same problem with a 06 passat. Drove in fine this morning (through large floods). When I went back to car at lunch, I could not get it in gear. When I turn off the engine I can get it in to all gears without any problems..

I suppose I'll have to get it towed, disaster....

Hi Minstrel boy,

Don't fret just yet, you might have a bit of luck as I just did. I had the breakdown guy out here about half an hour ago, he looked at it and said the clutch was gone, as it would not go into gear. He loaded it up onto the truck, and drove to local garage.

When he got there, he unloaded it, got in to try it again, and it worked fine. I've just driven it home, with a big relieved smile on my face. I can't believe my luck. The mechanic said its the second car that its happend to today, as soon as they get it off the truck it works fine. THe guy recons the clutch was just stuck, and the jolt getting it off the truck must have freed it. So since you said you drove throgh a flood, you might have the same problem.

Don't give up hope yet, right now I'm feeling anything is possible even a Ireland v France repaly ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Thanks Lads

I stuck mine into reverse and then started the engine. I jolted it back into sync. Its working away grand now thank God.

I am just after coming out of a meeting. As I was in there I could here a gearbox grinding away in the car park and no sign of movement from the car .. it was a 03 focus. The car is still there. I must go and try and find the lady that was driving and see can I help her out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

To anyone having issues with clutch engagement after driving through a flood. Before you get into getting your vehicle recovered and into a garage, try to start the car in gear first (in a safe place), and drive the car in gear for a bit, while also trying to change gears and operating the clutch.

This will warm up the clutch assembly and should dry out any water residue that is in there. If a clutch becomes wet and is left overnight, the clutch linings can bind to the flywheel and clutch cover assembly metal surfaces through rust which can set in very quickly.

Driving the car in gear for a short distance should be enough to unbind the clutch linings from the surfaces that they are stuck to... Once you can get gear, then take the car on a good run while changing gears frequently to dry out the clutch.

There is nothing in a clutch that can be permanently damaged by contact with water, so if you have driven your car into a flood and have clutch problems afterwards, this shouldn't mean having to replace the clutch, just start the car in gear and drive for a bit and this should sort the problem out...

Hi Darragh,

Thanks for the explanation.

Advertisement