Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PED from demand schedule

• 20-11-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

If you are asked to find the PED at initial equilibrium price and quantity what values should you use to calculate the PED other than the equilibrium point?

Comments

PED what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

PED what now?
    Price Elasticity Demand.

Price elasticity has come up a few times before, without answering your question here is a good post by the resident guru, Economiste Monetaire which gives accesible theory behind price elasticity.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055426817&highlight=price+elasticity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Thanks for that but it doesn't really answer my question at all. :) I have no problem understanding the concept, just don't know what values to use from the demand schedule as they all give different values from the PED when I put them into either the quick formula or the full one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hiya,
    To get an answer, your best bet is to provide the actual question and (if applicable) the choices of answers.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wong here, but you seem to have the quantity suplied and demanded for a given range of prices..

I don't think you need much more then that to answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

You need the equilibrium price and quantity (from solving the supply and demand equations)
    and dQ/dP from the demand function. PED = P/Q * dQ/dP.

Advertisement