Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Shield (Complete - Season 1/2/3/4/5/6/7) - €48 delivered [HMV]

• 20-11-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

Under €7 a season.... superb price!

GET IN THERE QUICK!

CDRP9288.JPG
    Buy it @ HMV
    Transgressing the seemingly rock-solid boundaries of regular television programming, THE SHIELD refuses the strictures of black-and-white depictions of clear-cut moral dilemmas in favour of an ambiguity that will challenge even the most jaded viewers. Detective Vic Mackey (Michael Chiklis, THE COMMISH) leads the elite Strike Team in the fictional L.A. district of Farmington, employing dubious but effective crime fighting methods as a tough, successful, but corrupt cop. The other detectives and cops on the force disapprove of the team's methods, while the precinct head, Captain David Aceveda (Benito Martinez), is just as corrupt as Mackey. The stoic, upright Detective Claudette Wyms (CCH Pounder, ER), who understands both sides of the game, provides a much needed balance and rationality to the mix. The charismatic Mackey strikes just the right pitch so as to be the least sympathetic antihero television has yet seen, while the controversial themes and violent nature of the content manage the effect of making audiences really think about what they're watching. This collection presents all seven seasons of the series.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Excellent, have been after this for a while and you can't beat that price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd expect Amazon to price-match it shortly.. but with the difference of Irish VAT slapped on top of £39.99, it'll work roughly the same I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

best 50 quid you could ever spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How does it compare to The Wire ?

From what I've seen of each, they are quite different in their style and pacing!

'The Shield' is especially more action-packed and fast-paced than 'The Wire' (not to take away from that superb show though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Tusky wrote: »
    How does it compare to The Wire ?

I recently watched the whole 7 seasons of The Shield, and there is no comparison to The Wire.
    The shield is a bit repetitive at points - they get in a jam, they get out, they get back into a jam....they get out....see where I'm going with this...

CCH Pounder is excellent in the show along with Michael Chiklis but at points it feels like the show is just plodding along, especially in the 7th season where I was wishing it would "hurry the f*** up and end already!"
    I did not feel the same way watching season 5 of The Wire...

majiktripp wrote: »
    I recently watched the whole 7 seasons of The Shield, and there is no comparison to The Wire.
    The shield is a bit repetitive at points - they get in a jam, they get out, they get back into a jam....they get out....see where I'm going with this...

CCH Pounder is excellent in the show along with Michael Chiklis but at points it feels like the show is just plodding along, especially in the 7th season where I was wishing it would "hurry the f*** up and end already!"
    I did not feel the same way watching season 5 of The Wire...

Hmm. With that in mind, would you recommend The Wire ?

I own all 5 seasons.. but have only watched the first two! :eek: (just too much on right now!)

I would recommend it however.. slow at first but it is incredibly engaging stuff.

basquille wrote: »
    I own all 5 seasons.. but have only watched the first two! :eek: (just too much on right now!)

I would recommend it however.. slow at first but it is incredibly engaging stuff.

Blah, that was a typo, I meant to ask if he would recommend The Shield! Ive seen all of The Wire and loved it.

Apologies for confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

serious price..i bought all seven individually at a price i can tell you...the shield is the best box set i have watched bar none....excellent viewing..leaves you hanging and have to watch the next one...put one on at 9pm and you end up still watching at 3 am ha ha

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd still recommend watching it, 12/13 episodes a season so won't take too long to get through all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Aw fantastic, I really miss this programme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

funkyflea wrote: »
    Aw fantastic, I really miss this programme!
    +1

There was talk of a film being made but I doubt it!

I am on Season 3 of the Wire and am seriously struggling to get back into it! I am currently watching Lie to Me S1 which is pretty good.

So for me The Shield kicks The Wires @ss but both are miles ahead of the normal drivel on tv so this is a very wise investment for less than €50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

lol @ The Shield being better than the Wire. Give me a break. The Wire is one of the best TV series ever made. I gave up after a season and a half of the Shield.

Good bargain alert though Basquille, as usual you are the bargain supremo around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

The Wire is overrated.
    There. I said it. :)
    Apart from when Omar is around, it is very long winded.
    In fact it peaks at season 2 and never reaches the same heights again.

The shield is a much more enjoyable experience overall.
    It does get a bit heavy in season 7 though where it stays great tv but gets away from the usual feel of the series a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

This probably shouldn't turn into a Shield v Wire thread,but persoanlyl I think nothing beats the Wire,nothing at all.

That being said the Sheild is a fantastic program,it would be in my top 5 favourite tv shows,even ahead of the Sopranos.

This is a great bargain,already own seasons 1-6,just waiting for a good deal on season 7,but havn't seen any yet.

patch wrote: »
    The Wire is overrated.
    There. I said it. :)
    Apart from when Omar is around, it is very long winded.
    In fact it peaks at season 2 and never reaches the same heights again.

Fair play, you dont follow the hype either!!

My god it peaked at season 2! Season 2 was merely entertaining at a push. I had hoped 3, 4 and 5 would have been dramatically improved!

I agree with the Omar comment too, definitely the only character worth his salt!

Maybe we should open another thread, or does a Wire Vs Shield thread already exist?

branners69 wrote: »
    Maybe we should open another thread, or does a Wire Vs Shield thread already exist?
    There's one in TV forum somewhere alright.. I've contributed to it.

Let's leave the debate there alright!

basquille wrote: »
    There's one in TV forum somewhere alright.. I've contributed to it.

This is a Shield Vs Wire thread!

Apologies and many thanks for the many great bargains you post!

To give you an idea of some of the great acting that's in the show, this is my favourite scene, CCH Pounder flexes her acting muscles here bigtime...
    WARNING: Bad Language from the off-set and a touchy subject for some, then again if this type of stuff offends you, Don't get the series!

Edit: Can never get
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eGlvwkGC4s

Doesn't give away any plot or overall theme of the show so no spoilers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The Wire is a much better all round box set to watch & will have u watching episode after episode not wanting to knock if off....

The Shield is exciting & addictive in a different way alot more fast paced & action packed.

I have both boxsets & I would have to rate The Wire a notch above the The Shield but both excellent viewing & what a bargain from HMV!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭shalom

Thanks for this Basquille.... I usually get what you guys recommend on here. Appreciate it and it saves from doing research myself. So something to watch during christmas. And at a good price Thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

tvnutz wrote: »
    This probably shouldn't turn into a Shield v Wire thread,but persoanlyl I think nothing beats the Wire,nothing at all.

That being said the Sheild is a fantastic program,it would be in my top 5 favourite tv shows,even ahead of the Sopranos.

This is a great bargain,already own seasons 1-6,just waiting for a good deal on season 7,but havn't seen any yet.

i got it in dundrum..think hmv for 24 euro

€48.09 just came outta my account for this..

.. wahey, looking forward to watching it over the Christmas!

Advertisement