Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officers overtime

Options
  • 20-11-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering what is the story now with the overtime in the prison service? I think that McDowell when he was minister for justice concluded a deal in 2005 where they had to work 360 hours overtime per year for an increased salary but am not too sure of the specifics of this. Does this apply or can POs opt out of having to work any overtime? Also is there much scope to work beyond the 360 hours overtime per year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Go to http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/downloads/08018_Recruit_Prison_Officer.doc

Overtime is optional and is built in to your contract at a lower rate with a choice of contracts with varying amounts of overtime included. You may not necessarily have to work the hours in your contract but you will be paid. My interpretation, could be wrong, we'll soon find out i'm sure.

I think overtime is restricted to 360 hours per annum.

"The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff and replaces the former overtime system. It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)"
    Just lifted this from that document.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Hey all!
    Unfortunately the overtime isnt optional and you will be required to list 15 days every 13 weeks where you are available to work. But because you can only work a maximum of 90 hours in a 13 week period you wont have to work all 15 days. You will be given two weeks notice of the overtime you are scheduled to work! There may be a number of staff who for exceptional circumstances cannot work these hours, they are scheduled to work either 0, 30 or 60 hours per quarter but these are the exception rather than the rule. Oh yeah, expect to pay approx 55% tax on all overtime hours!!!!
    Any more questions just ask!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Salmon wrote: »
    Oh yeah, expect to pay approx 55% tax on all overtime hours!!!!
    Any more questions just ask!!!

Tax is good. Lots of people out there would like to be paying tax. Personally I dont think I pay nearly enough. :P

Any other info you could impart on would be prison officers would be much appreciated. What attracted you to the job, apart from the tax paying potential. Thanks for the clarification, the impression is given that overtime is optional.

Advertisement