Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules for mods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

conolan wrote: »

So you are and he's not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

I have a sig with my business name. So has he. No problem.
    He used the post to disparage others and outline the advantages of what he could provide.
    However I'm probably on a hiding to nothing. The rules post for newbies is written by the offending mod. He shall be his own judge and jury.

Examples of people banned for spam
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055537868&highlight=banned&page=2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58288162&highlight=banned#post58288162

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew that thread was going to annoy someone or other.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

conolan the OP asked for information, its not like Sully posted out of nowhere I had suggested him already as I know Sully and that he does webdesign...mind you I didn't PM him or anything.

Sully posted his own personal view and its clearly not spam, I'd actually have to say I'd fully agree with the majority of what he says.

conolan Im pretty sure your sig breaks the sig rules as the image you have is far too big, you may want to edit it before the sigpolice do.
    photobar.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Didn't know it broke rules. Modified.
    I'll drop the subject, at least until some mod stops me mentioning my business offering in a post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The rule broadly tends to be if you are a contributing poster to a community and you are being helpful and not shillin/spaming or soliciting then it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just to clarify. Firstly, the OP never complained to me or my co mods to the best of my knowledge. This is the first iv heard of his concern. I'd have happily clarified over PM if asked rather then dragging it out here.

The topic asked for suggestions. Some where given and one suggested some of us were cowboys. So to make clear that I am not such, I explained what I do and who I worked for. I never plugged my name or link directly. So, no spamming occurred. Generally, its acceptable for such if the poster is a regular and contributor. Not just some spammer or shill who uses Boards.ie for free advertising.

There are cowboys out there, for sure, who are sometimes plugged and are terrible. Poor work, lack of experience etc. So, I did cover that problem as iv done numerous times On Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The only problem I'd have with Sullys post is "I can assure much higher quality then some of the names passed around here!". IMO that should have read "I can assure very high quality" without referencing others. I'm a believer that good work speaks for itself. I have personally walked out of shops when a salesman slagged off his competitor - it you're product is good enough you shouldn't need to.

Apart from that he's perfectly entitled to respond to some asking for a web designer seeing as that's what he is. It's not like he just arrived on the site to shill. He's been here for years and is a well respected member of the community.

My 2c.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fully agree with above post. Poorly phrased and ill ammend the post on my return to a PC.

Sadly in web design quality is often overlooked when someone offers design for a couple of hundred euro which is poorer in quality. I find that sometimes you need to point it out, bluntly, but there are better ways of doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

However I'm probably on a hiding to nothing.

Don't worry, you are not. :) If you have a valid complaint, it will be looked at.
    He shall be his own judge and jury.

I can assure you, this is not the case. Fellow mods, CMods and Admins ensure this.
    Examples of people banned for spam

One of the most critical aspects of an online community such as Boards.ie is context. Taken at face value, the first of the two posts you link to below does look like somewhat an unfair banning.

However, looking at the first one, you see a poster with over 100 posts getting banned for advertising. What you appear to be missing is that the post you linked to was VO's first post. So, to any moderator's eyes, a person suddenly appearing on the site, linking to a business or website is going to get banned for spamming, simple as.

The second case is clear cut - new user, linking to other website, spam, no question.

As others have pointed out, if you are a regular contributor to the site, and have a decent history, some advertising is permitted.

So, if you have a complaint about a post, no matter who made it, your first step is to report the post, not create a Feedback thread.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What Macros42 and Tom D said.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement