Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry Gogan.

• 20-11-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

With all the debate on other threads about various presenters, it still boils down to the 'Real King' of Ireland's airwaves, none other than Mr. Larry Gogan.

From features such as the Golden Hour, to some fine interviews and let's not forget that infamous 'Just A Minute Quiz' and here is a little sample of what Larry previously faced with an irrate caller:

Larry Gogan: (after a caller got none of 18 questions right on the Just a
    Minute quiz) - "Ah sure the questions didn't really suit you did they?"
    Caller: "Ah go **** off Larry you're only an old bollox."

A very popular character and a man that has been through an awful lot personally to still remain on the 'Wireless' over the course of our weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

IrishAmity wrote: »
    With all the debate on other threads about various presenters, it still boils down to the 'Real King' of Ireland's airwaves, none other than Mr. Larry Gogan.

From features such as the Golden Hour, to some fine interviews and let's not forget that infamous 'Just A Minute Quiz' and here is a little sample of what Larry previously faced with an irrate caller:

Larry Gogan: (after a caller got none of 18 questions right on the Just a
    Minute quiz) - "Ah sure the questions didn't really suit you did they?"
    Caller: "Ah go **** off Larry you're only an old bollox."

A very popular character and a man that has been through an awful lot personally to still remain on the 'Wireless' over the course of our weekends.

Yes and he always seems to come across (in his public persona anyway) as a decent and down to earth fella. You certainly don't hear any sort of intimations of him being a cnut like you do with other presenters. Long may he broadcast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Anyone know what age he is? I've always wondered.

I'm guessing early 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Anyone know what age he is? I've always wondered.

I'm guessing early 70's.

Here's a link to wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

The Man is a complete legend. He is one of the few presenters who knows how to present a listenable pop music show. Some of the younger gimps on 2fm and other pop music stations could learn a lot from this guy, in how not to be an unctuous twat.

Larry "what star do travelers follow?"
    Caller on just a minute quiz: "Joe Dolan".

Larry: "where would you like to be buried?"
    Caller "up to my balls in Bibi Baskin".

Larry: "Complete this song title: "You'll never walk...."
    Caller: "Again."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Larry "what star do travelers follow?"
    Caller on just a minute quiz: "Joe Dolan".

This is my all time favourite answer in the Just A Minute quiz.

My second is :
    Larry "complete this saying, as happy as.."
    Caller " a pig in sh1t".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Very nice man when not behind the mic also.

'One take Larry'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

chughes wrote: »
    My second is :
    Caller " a pig in sh1t".
    It's actually went like this:
    Caller "...ummmm....".[/QUOTE]
    Larry "...just think of me..."
    Caller " a pig in shit".[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Where is the Great Wall?

Eh, Crumlin Larry.

He does seem like a genuinely nice man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

nicest man in ireland but to me that means the most innofensive bland man in ireland , a man who has never uttered a spontaneous thought in his entire career , good taste in music but a machine could just as easily have done his job for the past 40 years

still miles better than rick o shea though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

irish_bob wrote: »
    nicest man in ireland but to me that means the most innofensive bland man in ireland , a man who has never uttered a spontaneous thought in his entire career , good taste in music but a machine could just as easily have done his job for the past 40 years

still miles better than rick o shea though

That's hardly fair! Do you really believe that your Ryan Tubridys/Chris Moyles/Chris Evanses/Terry Wogans deliver their shows off the cuff? Perhaps Ray Er Darcy does but eh we're no better off eh for it.

His job was to play the choons from the hit parade, not open the doors of perception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Larry Gogan .............legend :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I had the good fortune to meet him once, and let me tell you, he's as nice as they say he is.

Advertisement