Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband question

• 20-11-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Ordered a phoneline and broadband online from eircom yesterday and got an email today saying that once the phoneline is installed that it will take another 10 days for the broadband to be entered into their system.

Does this mean that when the technician comes to install the phoneline he wont be installing the BB at the same time?

Seems a bit stupid to me that I have to wait two weeks for the phoneline and then another 10 days for BB aswell like!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The tech that installs the phone line will only do the phoneline, its not stupid its the way it works for the technology.

Engineer that installs your phone line installs a PSTN line which can only handle voice services, ADSL is installed by a ADSL engineer and requires seperate work at your local exchange to connect the PSTN line to a line card to provide data services.

You have to remember that a voice line (PSTN line) is a pretty old technology and was never intended to support such services as ADSL so these services do not come as standard and must be added onto this line with extra work and equipment.

Its all pretty normal and its nothing to do with Eircom its just the way these things work :)

If you want to get something faster then get cable ;) (if available)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Cheers for the info and excuse my ignorance!

Cable's not available so eircom's the only reliable option unfortunately

Advertisement