Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for really long KVM extension cable.

• 20-11-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to hook my PC (in my study) up to my TV (in the sitting room) and be able to control the PC from the sitting room.
    There's 3 brick walls between the PC and the TV, so the wireless reception if I was to use wireless keyboard and mouse would be really bad, so my idea was to get an insanely long video, keyboard and mouse cable and run it through the attic and down.
    Does anyone know of anything that could do this for me, or am I looking at getting custom cables made, if its even technically feasable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've seen 5m & 10m+ VGA cables.
    In fact I have one I got from Peats in Parnell St for a TV projector.

Not sure about PS2/USB cables.
    I've seen USB extension cables of 1m & 3m, but they probably need a power boost if they're any longer.

The obvious solution : move your PC into the sitting room, or buy a smaller media pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Longest USB I saw was 4m, at the very longest. For any length ridiculously long (say an auditorium or cross-house setup) You'd want to do something abnormal like USB-over-Ethernet. Some of the reviews quote a good use being a webcam in the baby's room without needing a whole bunch of networking equipment or a 2nd computer.

So effectively you could use that to operate a Logitech wireless Keyboard and Mouse in the living room. The new models run off a single, super tiny dongle: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+Wave+Pro+Cordless+Desktop/9013701.p?id=1218008373969&skuId=9013701 the range is 2.4ghz wireless - similar to your wireless internet, on a different channel - and has a range good for about 30ft. I picked this model for you because its optical not laser: laser IME actually tends to be finnickier about what surfaces it works on, and will move at different speeds on different textures (like Jeans).

Advertisement