Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Val Falvey TD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Cant believe that Arthur Mathews put his name to this,times must be tough if this shyte is the best he can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

I do agree re: the actors though. It's not that Irish actors are talentless, indeed some are wonderful, it's just the ones that only make a living in Ireland have no idea how to act on screen.

If they think they're in a comedy, they ham and gurn. If they think its the opposite pole (serious drama) they go dead eyed and [The] Clinical. Bacically they're playing to the back row of the Gate, our directors (normally promoted techies) don't have the skill or experince to tone them down. (Again, the directing on Val Falvey was woeful)

There really needs to be some Film Board course on screen acting. The average clothes-horse on a American teen drama is more comfortable on screen than any of our actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Drat Fr Ted on now. back later Val very bad, more anon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

A Disgrace wrote: »
    There's a reason Matthews isn't writing with Graham Linehan anymore folks..

As one of my close friends said tonight 'it's easy to see who was the Art Garfunkel of that particular relationship..

Maybe, but the IT crowd is crap too.

Its clear Fr. Ted was a product of an inspired period at the start of their career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wyndman wrote: »
    I do agree re: the actors though. It's not that Irish actors are talentless, indeed some are wonderful, it's just the ones that only make a living in Ireland have no idea how to act on screen.

Ardal O'Hanlon was terrible in My Hero, though the show was popular I think. He's a really limited actor. He should never be given a lead role as he is just too weak an actor to carry any scene on his own and make it credible.

However, I think there is very little that even good actors can do when the material is soooo poor. The whole thing about the bicycle was so juvenile. There was a lot of satirical potential here, but was all missed. Same with the scene where he met the constituents regarding local issues. Where can it go from here?

meep wrote: »
    Watched this with a none too critical eye hoping for a modicum of entertainment but it really was an appalling half hour of television.

Everything about it seemed one dimensional. I didn't think much of the script but what got me in particular was the execution. The shot selection, editing and performances were so stilted as to be unbelievable. There was no coherent flow whatsoever. Production standards were rock bottom, exemplified by the obviously accidental camera shake left in about 1/3 way through as characters exit the caravan as well as the awful shakey tilt up to the photo at the end.

And this is something that seems to be common across many comedy productions. Production techniques that work (a relative term) in SoapLand are transferred across to projects like this where they are wholly inappropriate.

Making a programme like this function smoothly and with a degree of professionalism would go a long way towards allowing the viewer focus on the script - instead you are constantly jolted back to reality with a poor performance here, a bad edit there, tacky location, poor set dressing, poor camera angle etc. When those gaffs come along at a faster rate than the jokes, what hope has it?

And why should I give it another chance? I'm not going to watch this again in the vain hope that it gets better. Producers should be aiming for the best possible in the first episode - this is the chance to set the standard and encourage the viewer back for more.

There's just a comedy by numbers feel to this and a lot of other local output that leaves a bad taste.

No I couldn't do better but that's not the point. The point is why produce anything at all if the results are this medicore. Someone should have known better.

Not funny. Not even entertaining.

Peter

This is what is wrong. Again have to watch second FR ted so no time

Actaully I've heard that a lot. Normally from producers, RTE hacks and other media administration types as an excuse for the poor product they're signing off on.

Ireland has proportionally more or less the same amount of talent as other nations but the reason it doesn't show up on camera is the uselessness of the self-appointed few (normally with marketing, accounting or PR backgrounds) who control the resources.

And to those who are spouting ingorance that Matthews was being carried by Linehan. As a team they worked on some of the greatest comedies of the last two decades, Alan Patridge, The Fast Show, Brasseye, The Day Today... Matthews on his own wrote the second series of Big Train, which is an amazing achivement for just one writer.

He has created, and originally played on stage, Father Ted. He is a downright legend and one of the funniest men alive. RTE, and the ballsless play-it-safe Irish media in general, are to blame here.

This is the second correct aspect. However this was supposed to be an ind. prod - so how did it go wrong? Can rte be blamed for the production values, clearly the biggest problem.
    Well have to watch Ted 'kick the bishop up the arse', bye for now.
    Speaking of kicking Bishops, I'm also looking forward to the Savage Eye.
    As for 'Irish humour is different' I'll get back to that later:)

This is the second correct aspect. However this was supposed to be an ind. prod - so how did it go wrong? Can rte be blamed for the production values, clearly the biggest problem.

"Independent production" just means the crew /producers aren't on long term contracts with RTE. RTE Entertainment still meant to oversee and bring their zero experince to bear on every aspect of the production. They are accountable.

As for production values, it's clear that wheather to save money or wasting money in the wrong areas, the whole project - from scripts to editing - was rushed. This is standard practice with RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Well, even though it's a comedy about a politician I don't think anyone is going to confuse it with "Yes Minister!" or even "The New Statesman" ...

Ardal is playing the same lovable idiot role we've become used to from "Father Ted" and "My Hero". Several times I expected him to say "Ah now, Ted"

The absence to laughs made me focus on the unbelievability of the concept:

1. Could any TD really be this stupid and unassertive?

2. Why would a TD hold constituent meetings in a caravan?
    They usually run clinics in hotels and even lowly councillors have constituency offices.

3. In real life,if someone swam in a river near a factory and developed a huge rash they would go to the newspapers, Joe Duffy, the county council, the EPA and so on. It would be a BIG story, I mean there's already a huge campaign in progress against the alleged health effects of pylons that haven't even been built yet. So I can't imagine any-one in this situation(even a complete idiot) being bought off by an independent local TD.

4. Why would a factory owner bribe an incompetent Independent TD, surely they would be better bribing an intelligent but corrupt government TD? What could Falvey do for them anyway?

The fact that he's an Independent is also a problem for the story line. It means that there won't be any interaction with party colleagues or any addressing of national political issues. I guess the writers wanted to play it safe here but it's a bit like "Father Ted" trying not to offend the Catholic Church.

I get the feeling that the central idea was "idiot rural TD" and the writers don't actually know very much about the lifestyle of a typical TD. Contrast this with "Yes Minister" where you end up thinking "Oh God, I bet that's what really does happen .."

The other main problem is that the lead character is an unassertive idiot.
    I think the lead character in a sitcom can either be one or the other but not both. Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Frank Drebbin, the guy in Kilnaskully are all "dumb" characters but they make things happen. Falvey on the other hand is dumb but seems to be completely dominated by his adviser.

Then there's the cliched OMG-this-family-is-so-embarrassing daughter and the bit with the bicycle was laughable in completely the wrong way.

But maybe it will get better as it goes on although you would think a new series would start with its best foot forward so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

johnfunk wrote: »
    But wasn't Father Ted Irish humour?

I always got the impression it was written with a UK audience in mind

I think Irish people are great at having a laugh and slagging each other, especially over a pint or ten. They then expect this hilarity to transfer to TV and movies and are disappointed when it doesn't.

But as someone mentioned, comedy requires a lot of writing and acting talent and there's only so much talent in a country of 4-6 million people.

We also seem to be disproportionately represented internationally when it comes to fiction writing and music so maybe it's expecting a bit much to be good at everything.

When it comes to comedy we compare ourselves to the US and Britain but how does our comedy compare to smaller countries like Denmark or New Zealand for example ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The IT crowd's first few episodes were cac

Say whaaaat?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

"Independent production" just means the crew /producers aren't on long term contracts with RTE. RTE Entertainment still meant to oversee and bring their zero experince to bear on every aspect of the production. They are accountable.

Thats rubbish, this is made by grand pictures, they agree a budget in advance and provide all the staff and facilities. No-one on it would have any kind of contract with RTÉ, long term or not. In fact they appear to have done a fair bit of work for TV3 also. http://www.grandpictures.ie/profile/grandprofile.htm

Someone in RTE comissioned it and would have viewed rushes and given feedback but thats it. It's been in production since February according to google, so it's hardly rushed either.
    And to those who are spouting ingorance that Matthews was being carried by Linehan. As a team they worked on some of the greatest comedies of the last two decades, Alan Patridge, The Fast Show, Brasseye, The Day Today... Matthews on his own wrote the second series of Big Train, which is an amazing achivement for just one writer.

He has created, and originally played on stage, Father Ted. He is a downright legend and one of the funniest men alive. RTE, and the ballsless play-it-safe Irish media in general, are to blame here.

The guy wrote this and appears to be closely involved with other grand pictures productions, so if he is the funniest man alive then you would think it would be funny whatever the production values. It was very poor.

copacetic wrote: »
    Thats rubbish, this is made by grand pictures, they agree a budget in advance and provide all the staff and facilities. No-one on it would have any kind of contract with RTÉ, long term or not. In fact they appear to have done a fair bit of work for TV3 also. http://www.grandpictures.ie/profile/grandprofile.htm

Someone in RTE comissioned it and would have viewed rushes and given feedback but thats it. It's been in production since February according to google, so it's hardly rushed either.

The guy wrote this and appears to be closely involved with other grand pictures productions, so if he is the funniest man alive then you would think it would be funny whatever the production values. It was very poor.

It was dreadful, but i really think the script editing,scene sequencing/ editing/direction crushed whatever might have existed.
    baalthor wrote: »
    I always got the impression it was written with a UK audience in mind

well i'd have to say a lot of the referencing is very insider Irish Catholic, with a broad appeal

When it comes to comedy we compare ourselves to the US and Britain but how does our comedy compare to smaller countries like Denmark or New Zealand for example ?

Good question - NZ's Outrageous Fortune was pretty well put together if not neccessarily brill

Have to say the best comedy i've ever seen from this country was Spin the Bottle - a spinoff of Paths of Freedom. I assume this was also made by the same co.?

I'd also have to say that Meave Higgin's Fancy Vittles was stunning - almost too subtle for most to see, but amazing use of subtext and the surreal.
    Now if she and Spin got together...

so I'm excited, so what?

Have to say (really have to) that Savage was ok, nothing cringe worthy anyway. The Home Alone sketch was outrageous - loved it - wonder if it'll get any flak.

I think the prob with Val also is the commission guidelines which i imagine are essentially "this is the Irish public, complete with children etc - treat as imbiciles and at least we won't get complaints"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

New Zealand gave us Flight of the Conchords granted with a little help of HBO.

copacetic wrote: »

I never said they had contracts with RTE. Just that they weren't on full-time staff.

That "in production since Febuary" is nonsense. The company may have put that up on IFTN or whatever when they got the go ahead but the show wasn't taped until mid-summer. (which by the way is not enough time to write and polish six scripts. Rushed.)

Actual active production is ALWAYS left untill the last possible minute. That's how RTE work, they alot the smallest possible budget so the whole thing has to be crammed (shooting, editing- that's not cheap- into the smallest amount of days. Quality is not a concern. It was probably sat on for months (rte are very slow at getting back to people) until of course the hasty re-edits ordered by Fianna fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Just watched on RTE player - godawful

Did not laugh once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well thanks for the reviews everybody but I am just amazed that so many people expected it to be any good - the trailer was ****e so what did you expect? Usually the funny highlights are included in the trailer to entice the viewers to watch and it follows that as the trailer was crap the series would be too. Ardal O'Hanlon is, again, out of his depth and has never really developed since his Father Ted days. At least I am saved for having to watch it now and will just continue to read comments here instead. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 stephen_mch

Yeah but in fairness a lot of Irish stuff is better than that! But then thats just my opinion :D

Yes, now that was excellent - so it can be done by a small population!
    I It was probably sat on for months (rte are very slow at getting back to people) until of course the hasty re-edits ordered by Fianna fail.

Er, do you really think FF could influence the prog content? - i find that impossible to believe

Can I have my licence fee refunded please.

Yeah but in fairness a lot of Irish stuff is better than that! But then thats just my opinion :D

Better than the flight of the condors?
    Hmmm, we'll have to agree to differ on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

But then thats just my opinion :D

Phew. I thought it was Neil Armstrong's opinion before you clarified. Cheers.

Er, do you really think FF could influence the prog content? - i find that impossible to believe

Check out yesterdays Sunday tribune. There was an article about how the colour of the titles had to be changed so as not to upset our glorious leaders. Also didn't anybody notice that it was originally meant to air the previous Sunday but was pulled and replaced with that show where two gob****es decorate a showhouse in some soulless housing estate down the country!

• Advertisement

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/nov/22/rte-order-ensures-political-satire-doesnt-offend-f/
    Sorry.

The Conchords TV show is a wholly American production, the writers/leads aside.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/nov/22/rte-order-ensures-political-satire-doesnt-offend-f/
    Sorry.

Right. but the two guys write the stuff?
    That's what's really needed for Irish comedy, proper production team, inclduing proper script editor. must be hard to get. will check out that link

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

just watched naked camera!

now that funny!! haha..

val whats his name? who cares!

m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

The premise of the show has so much potential. I fell asleep watching it, and I very rarely sleep in the middle of the day. I'll give it another shot next week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

1. Could any TD really be this stupid and unassertive?

have you ever met a td who is in the family firm !

dreadfully unfunny show, with the times that are in it could have been a really hard hitting satire (but then RTE wouldnt have shown it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Ireland has proportionally more or less the same amount of talent as other nations but the reason it doesn't show up on camera is the uselessness of the self-appointed few (normally with marketing, accounting or PR backgrounds) who control the resources.

We may well have the same ratio of talented people as other countries. I don't think anyone has suggested that we have fewer. But we are a very small country.

We also have a huge welcoming market a ferry-ride away which pays better than any Irish outlet ever can. It is just as absurd to list every comedy triumph of the BBC and bewail our lack of contenders as to wonder why the League of Ireland doesn't have four teams in the Champions League.

In comedy, the situation has been worsened by a culture within RTE of not nurturing talent and not taking risks. The second of those will never change as long as our state controls our broadcasting so directly. The first IS changing.

To produce successful comedy we need to commission people of promise and allow them to fail. (Puts on kettle, awaits obvious comeback.) That's what is happening. We may not like Mathews or Jason Byrne or the rest, but these are the award-winning, hall-packing comedians of our day. Shows like The Panel give slots to newer people.

What is there about this process that people have a problem with? We will never have a culture of decent TV comedy until (1) there is an outlet on RTE, and (2) there are talented people willing to take advantage of that.

I don't know about (2), but (1) exists.

Someone made a brilliant point about the underuse of radio as a testing-ground. That needs to change too.

have you ever met a td who is in the family firm !

dreadfully unfunny show, with the times that are in it could have been a really hard hitting satire (but then RTE wouldnt have shown it)

And it would be naive to expect them to.

I doubt if the writer ever intended the show to be hard-hitting. It seems to aim squarely at the sleepy Sunday mainstream. That's a demographic that is presumably under-represented on Boards.

It will be interesting to see what the ratings were like. Does anybody know?

And it would be naive to expect them to.

I doubt if the writer ever intended the show to be hard-hitting. It seems to aim squarely at the sleepy Sunday mainstream. That's a demographic that is presumably under-represented on Boards.

It will be interesting to see what the ratings were like. Does anybody know?

That's exactly the problem the belief that the sleep Sunday demographic are also without intelligence.
    It is very possible to show good comedy at this peak viewing time - it doen't have to be offensive or controversial to be funny, for example Fawlty Towers, or Only fools and Horses, Some Mother's do 'ave 'em,Dad's Army, It aint half hot mum, the good life, the likely lads. Even if then went for the reasonably (occasionally) funny (The Mrs Bucket thing) 'it wouldn't be so bad. But this and Killnaskully say 'you're dumb -you deserve no better'

Sorry.

Checked that out. I think it was more a case of RTE not wanting to seem partisan (esp after the George Lee episode)
    Let me stress i have NO political allegiances, just suprised that the gov could directly influence a comedy show - still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Let me stress i have NO political allegiances, just suprised that the gov could directly influence a comedy show - still.

Bull Island anyone?
    RTÉ know who ultimately hold the marionette strings and it pays to toe the line.
    If ever there was a time we needed hard hitting political satire it's now...instead we're served up this lame duck and they try and turn the Panel into Q&A's lite for 20-somethings...

That's exactly the problem the belief that the sleep Sunday demographic are also without intelligence.
    It is very possible to show good comedy at this peak viewing time - it doen't have to be offensive or controversial to be funny, for example Fawlty Towers, or Only fools and Horses, Dad's Army, It aint half hot mum, the good life, the likely lads. Even if then went for the reasonably (occasionally) funny (The Mrs Bucket thing) 'it would be so bad. But this and Killnaskully say 'you're dumb -you deserve no better'

Whose attitude do you think that is? I just can't see Arthur Mathews setting out to write something stupid. He must also have the weight to resist any dumbing-down orders from RTE management, or from the production company.

There is a severe shortage of good script editors in Ireland. Maybe that's part of the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wertz wrote: »
    RTÉ know who ultimately hold the marionette strings and it pays to toe the line.
    If ever there was a time we needed hard hitting political satire it's now...instead we're served up this lame duck and they try and turn the Panel into Q&A's lite for 20-somethings...

You're right. The pickings are ripe for a biting satire at the moment.

Bull Island anyone?

Not to mention scrap saturday (oops, mentioned it) Very true about the Panel by the way- whatever it's faults, it seemed unfettered with the usual nonsense, but watched it recently and was much confused - what the hell is Williams doing there?
    Whose attitude do you think that is? I just can't see Arthur Mathews setting out to write something stupid. He must also have the weight to resist any dumbing-down orders from RTE management, or from the production company.

There is a severe shortage of good script editors in Ireland. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Well the only other conclusion is that Mathews has lost his talent...

But even if that were true is there NO ONE who could have said STOP!!! this is crap.

Well, even though it's a comedy about a politician I don't think anyone is going to confuse it with "Yes Minister!" or even "The New Statesman" ...

The fact that he's an Independent is also a problem for the story line. It means that there won't be any interaction with party colleagues or any addressing of national political issues. I guess the writers wanted to play it safe here but it's a bit like "Father Ted" trying not to offend the Catholic Church.

Very good point

I get the feeling that the central idea was "idiot rural TD" and the writers don't actually know very much about the lifestyle of a typical TD. Contrast this with "Yes Minister" where you end up thinking "Oh God, I bet that's what really does happen .."

Ditto

The other main problem is that the lead character is an unassertive idiot.
    I think the lead character in a sitcom can either be one or the other but not both. Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Frank Drebbin, the guy in Kilnaskully are all "dumb" characters but they make things happen. Falvey on the other hand is dumb but seems to be completely dominated by his adviser.

And this last bit hits the nail on the head - it's actually the structural premise here that is the problem.
    The main character be he nice, nasty, or dumb, must move the story forward- not be carried forward - this is a fundamental rule with storyline.
    A second premise specifically in comedy is
    Nutter in sane enviroment or
    Sane person in Crazy enviroment
    Think of any comedy -they fall into one or the other.
    Here we have a nutter (dumb in this case) in a nutter enviroment= failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not to mention scrap saturday (oops, mentioned it) Very true about the Panel by the way- whatever it's faults, it seemed unfettered with the usual nonsense, but watched it recently and was much confused - what the hell is Williams doing there?

Yep, Scrap Saturday as well, and that was definitely toned down/removed through political channels. Morgan did a lot of good for the country through his work on that show, took a lot of people down a few pegs and woke up listeners to a lot of what was going on at the time.

As for the panel...I like McWilliams, but this is not his place...it would seem to me that his placing is in some attempt to deliver economic realities and political messages to the yoof by trying to make it semi-light hearted infotainment. I think they're ultimately damaging that show/format (some might say it's beyond fixing) by using it in this way...
    Maybe I read too much into it, but that's how it comes across...

• Advertisement

Yep, Scrap Saturday as well, and that was definitely toned down/removed through political channels. Morgan did a lot of good for the country through his work on that show, took a lot of people down a few pegs and woke up listeners to a lot of what was going on at the time.

As for the panel...I like McWilliams, but this is not his place...it would seem to me that his placing is in some attempt to deliver economic realities and political messages to the yoof by trying to make it semi-light hearted infotainment. I think they're ultimately damaging that show/format (some might say it's beyond fixing) by using it in this way...
    Maybe I read too much into it, but that's how it comes across...

Yes, great guy, wrong place.
    The first time i heard the term 'infotainment' was on the simpsons when the school gave a show - very funny. bart 'this both sucks and blows'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I wanted this to be funny,I really did.

But I was as disappointed as a kid getting socks on Christmas,the writing in it is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Actually they were on BBC radio first.

994 wrote: »
    Actually they were on BBC radio first.

Yes but before that they were performing in New Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I didn't watch the Savage Eye, I have given up on RTÉ Two. <<<< That is bad, ye all know it!

However <<<< always the however, I didn't want to even post in this thread, only I read one of the comments in the Lucy Kennedy/Brendan O'Connor thread that this was bad.

So what did I think. I didn't think it was ROFL, nor was it LOL. and TBH I think that RTÉ and the producers possible let the great "Aurthur Mathew" do want he wanted without much editing etc. because ".... from the creator of Fr. Ted comes....." but that is really up to AM to tell us about.

I thought the premise of the show was that Val was up for election in the By-election mode. Ardal O'Hanlon should know what it is like to be a TDs/Ministers son, because he actually is one, so hopeful he has some insight to the character and it can develop over the next few weeks.

Main problem with the show is that they have it on at 7:30 it is unlikely to be as hard hitting as Rasi Na Galimhe or The Running Mate produced by TG4 over the last year. (If you get a chance take a look they are in Irish but they have subtitles, the Running Mate is fairly bi-lingual).

Over all this IMO was nothing to talk about. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ayup

While i have'nt seen this yet i can't really comment on the various details e.t.c

Does anyone else think the subject matter is so lame

a gobeen politician down the sticks !

Come on have'nt Pat Short and Jon Kenny done that 12 years ago

I really like Savage Eye great original sketches no chance to get bored !

Mc savage is a genius imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

saw this on the RTE iplayer last night, very very poor stuff. I dont watch much TV these days and the reason is RTE have gone to the dogs altogether lately. where is our money going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭optogirl

The reason we see the same actors everywhere is that there are so few actors in the country who are even minimally competent. If you can learn lines, more or less, and turn up mostly sober, you have a good chance of getting the job.

The above statement is simpy wrong. Getting an audition in RTE is difficult, very difficult and there is no denying that the same pool of actors are used time and time again whether suitable for the roles or not.
    There is an astounding wealth of acting talent in this country that continues to be untapped by RTE, The Abbey et al. Rarely has a visit to one of our smaller theatres, where actors are rarely even paid for their work, dissapointed. All too often RTE dissappoint - Val Falvey, Living With Lucy, Killinaskully, The Byrne Ultimatum, Stew, Fair City, The English Class etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

optogirl wrote: »
    The above statement is simpy wrong. Getting an audition in RTE is difficult, very difficult and there is no denying that the same pool of actors are used time and time again whether suitable for the roles or not.
    There is an astounding wealth of acting talent in this country that continues to be untapped by RTE, The Abbey et al. Rarely has a visit to one of our smaller theatres, where actors are rarely even paid for their work, dissapointed. All too often RTE dissappoint - Val Falvey, Living With Lucy, Killinaskully, The Byrne Ultimatum, Stew, Fair City, The English Class etc etc etc.

It is also about your name. Owen Roe is a good name IMO to have on your credits he seems competent and professional.

Do RTÉ cast independent productions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 snosae

I won't be back Ted

Advertisement