Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was reading that the Dublin Fire Brigade are giving "emergency cover" on the day of the strike, surly any time the Fire Brigade turn out it's an emergency. I think they should be governed by the same rules as the Guardi ie no strike. If teachers strike nobody dies, the Fire crews nation wide are an essitional service Dublin Fire Brigade provide the Ambulance cover aswell. The money they get paid is good not great just good, some of the sights they see i think deserves the monies paid. Just my thoughts what do ye think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

As a person i am fairly anti union and anti striking, I don't want to see unions abolished but i feel they have lost sight of their usefullness

So with that in mind i can't for the life of me understand how they can condone a pre-emptive strike, its like the cold war except the unions aren't taking the chance that the yanks won't fire first.

I don't now how anybody can justify going on strike next week.

Whats going to happen after the budget when the cuts that are being bandied about are actually going to materialise??? will it be weeks of strikes??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

spotdedog wrote: »
    I was reading that the Dublin Fire Brigade are giving "emergency cover" on the day of the strike, surly any time the Fire Brigade turn out it's an emergency. ...

I won't comment on the general point, but I suggest that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I won't comment on the general point, but I suggest that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed.

And the fact that the shed is empty will be decided after the strike? And the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

So people who ring 999 and ask for a fire brigade will be asked if the building is occupied or not , before the fire brigade twiddle their thumbs and make up their mind if they should begrudingly go or not ? Charming people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

in short, public servants (civil servent) should, as in France, not be allowed to strike.

• Advertisement

I see the people who give the swine flu vaccine are going on strike too.

Suppose someone who would otherwise get the vaccine that day, gets swine fue in due course and heaven forbid dies....will the HSE care ? Its statistically quite possible given the number who have already died. Shame on the public sector involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

More that the fire brigade do a lot of things that really aren't emergency work. Don't let your kitten climb trees on the 24th.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I was reading that the Dublin Fire Brigade are giving "emergency cover" on the day of the strike, surly any time the Fire Brigade turn out it's an emergency.

its an unfortunate term alright in this context

my understanding is that these services will be providing the most basic level of service required and still be able to respond

its referred to as "Christmas Day" levels elsewhere!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Riskymove wrote: »
    its an unfortunate term alright in this context

my understanding is that these services will be providing the most basic level of service required and still be able to respond

its referred to as "Christmas Day" levels elsewhere!!:pac:

" Christmas Day" cover for Dublin fire Brigade is exactly the same as the cover provided 24hrs per day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

This means that Jimmmy's house in Spiteville is as safe as any other day

Paulzx wrote: »
    " Christmas Day" cover for Dublin fire Brigade is exactly the same as the cover provided 24hrs per day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmmy wrote: »
    So people who ring 999 and ask for a fire brigade will be asked if the building is occupied or not , before the fire brigade twiddle their thumbs and make up their mind if they should begrudingly go or not ? Charming people

I have never had reason to call on the fire service but, if I did, I would expect them to ask about the emergency I was asking them to deal with in order that they might make an appropriate response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

They went on strike in 1987 and fire services were provided by the Army with Garda assistance, went on for a few weeks as far as I can recall.

6 weeks in 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

As is normal Jimmmy. We call it additional information, no 2 incidents are the same but with blinkers on you would never understand that.

All fire services on 24th will respond to life threatening calls or any other calls that appear serious enough to require a response. For this firefighters will not get paid thus saving the country millions.

Is this acceptable jimmmy? Glad to be doing our bit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I was reading that the Dublin Fire Brigade are giving "emergency cover" on the day of the strike, surly any time the Fire Brigade turn out it's an emergency. I think they should be governed by the same rules as the Guardi ie no strike. If teachers strike nobody dies, the Fire crews nation wide are an essitional service Dublin Fire Brigade provide the Ambulance cover aswell. The money they get paid is good not great just good, some of the sights they see i think deserves the monies paid. Just my thoughts what do ye think

I have a good solllution. Unions should be allowed to strike AND employers should be allowed to fire striking employees, good sollution.

dfbemt wrote: »
    All fire services on 24th will respond to life threatening calls or any other calls that appear serious enough to require a response.

But if a property is on fire with nobody in it, will the fire brigade on the 24th bother going to put out the fire ? It would be nice to know before the 24th if a building does go on fire if the fire brigade would respond or not ?

And what about the people who give the swine flu vaccine ...they are going on strike too. I made the point suppose someone who would otherwise get the vaccine that day, gets swine fue in due course ( as is very possible ) and heaven forbid dies....will the HSE care ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

so basically you want the full services that the fire brigade etc. provide but want them to do it for less money??? :confused: The fire brigade have as much right to strike as anyone else if their terms of employment are being threatened.

murf313 wrote: »
    so basically you want the full services that the fire brigade etc. provide but want them to do it for less money??? :confused:

You can be as confused as you want, :confused::confused::confused:, but yes, strange as it may seem, given that government borrowing is unsustainable, public sector wages do indeed have to fall back, given prices have decreased in the economy so much in the past year alone, and given our public servants are paid 40% more than the eurozone average.( source : eurostat)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

You can be as confused as you want, :confused::confused::confused:, but yes, strange as it may seem, given that government borrowing is unsustainable, public sector wages do indeed have to fall back, given prices have decreased in the economy so much in the past year alone, and given our public servants are paid 40% more than the eurozone average.( source : eurostat)
    :D

yawn..... why dont you find something new to say if you have to say anything at all.

I bet you were'nt working for 48hrs straight down in Galway/Cork rescuing people from their flooded homes. Alot of emergency services personnel who wernt on duty spent their own time (NOT GETTING PAID) volunteering.

I bet the fire brigade wont be so lazy the time you have to ring 999 in an emergency. I bet they will still come to your aid no matter what!

But if a property is on fire with nobody in it, will the fire brigade on the 24th bother going to put out the fire ? It would be nice to know before the 24th if a building does go on fire if the fire brigade would respond or not ?

?

Can you not read or something? It has been stated already in this thread that full cover will be provided. Now, if you are too thick to understand that well thats not my problem. You're too busy quoting your dogged mantra to bother reading the replies to your rants.

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »
    It has been stated already in this thread that full cover will be provided.
    There seems to be a bit of confusion eg one poster ( with a public service background ) wrote "that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. ". Another poster referred to Christmas day levels etc. Glad to know that the fire brigade will still be responding to emergencies on the 24th. Maybe there will be no cats up trees rescued that day but we can all live with that.

There seems to be a bit of confusion eg one poster ( with a public service background ) wrote "that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. ". Another poster referred to Christmas day levels etc. Glad to know that the fire brigade will still be responding to emergencies on the 24th. Maybe there will be no cats up trees rescued that day but we can all live with that.

jimmmy,

just because I work in the public sector does not mean I know anything about being a firefighter or fire service operational plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

jimmmy you are an asshole.

You are doing great harm to the cause of those of us are trying to agitate for change in the public service and the banks.

Your simplistic diatribes are of benefit to no-one and it shames me to know you - in real life you seem much more normal.

Riskymove wrote: »
    jimmmy,

just because I work in the public sector does not mean I know anything about being a firefighter or fire service operational plans

Riskymove, I never said or implied you did. It was someone else who wrote about ""that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. "

Anyway, glad to know that the fire brigade will still be responding to emergencies on the 24th.

soden12 wrote: »
    jimmmy you are an asshole.

Charming
    You are doing great harm to the cause of those of us are trying to agitate for change in the public service and the banks.

Your simplistic diatribes are of benefit to no-one and it shames me to know you - in real life you seem much more normal.

:D In real life you do not know me.

:D In real life you do not know me.

Oh but I do. Still I won't blow your cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

so basically you want the full services that the fire brigade etc. provide but want them to do it for less money??? :confused: The fire brigade have as much right to strike as anyone else if their terms of employment are being threatened.

thats what happens in rescessionary times , you work harder for less money , the firemen like the rest of the public sector should just get on with it and be thankfull they had such a good run during the boom , fact is , the public sectors wage boom lasted a few years longer than everyone elses

Oh but I do. Still I won't blow your cover.

I can assure you that you do not and your thinly veiled thread is but a crude attempt at blackmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

yawn..... why dont you find something new to say if you have to say anything at all.

I bet you were'nt working for 48hrs straight down in Galway/Cork rescuing people from their flooded homes. Alot of emergency services personnel who wernt on duty spent their own time (NOT GETTING PAID) volunteering.

I bet the fire brigade wont be so lazy the time you have to ring 999 in an emergency. I bet they will still come to your aid no matter what!

most of the rescue efforts in the west ( ive relatives over there ) came from volluntary efforts , im not criticising the army or the fire brigade but this was and is a cross community effort and btw , those people who,s property has been destroyed , the goverment should focus on compensating those genuine victims , never mind the 350,000 spoilt brats who plan to walk the nations streets on tuesday

• Advertisement

I can assure you that you do not and your thinly veiled thread is but a crude attempt at blackmail.

Relax, I've said my bit - no need to get excited.

Still, who would have thought....

Advertisement