Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

soden12 wrote: »
    jimmmy you are an asshole.

You are doing great harm to the cause of those of us are trying to agitate for change in the public service and the banks.

Your simplistic diatribes are of benefit to no-one and it shames me to know you - in real life you seem much more normal.

Let me make it clear that neither the insult, nor the claim to know jimmmy in real life are acceptable. Many people find that sort of claim unpleasant and worrying, and it can only be proven by blowing the person's cover.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmmy wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of confusion eg one poster ( with a public service background ) wrote "that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. "...

My background is quite irrelevant in this context, and I consider your mentioning it to be dishonest. I also said that "I have never had reason to call on the fire service" which makes it clear that I do not have particular knowledge of how the fire service operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

My background is quite irrelevant in this context, and I consider your mentioning it to be dishonest. I also said that "I have never had reason to call on the fire service" which makes it clear that I do not have particular knowledge of how the fire service operates.

My reply was in the context as part of the answer to someone who wrote "It has been stated already in this thread that full cover will be provided."
    You indeed wrote "that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. ". Later on in the thread you indeed " have never had reason to call on the fire service".
    Like you, I do not have "particular knowledge of how the fire service operates", and neither do I care very much.
    I was merely trying to find out for sure if the fire brigade will still be responding to all emergencies on the 24th, and am reassured to have it confirmed on this thread that they will. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

in short, public servants (civil servent) should, as in France, not be allowed to strike.

They should also be paid relatively the same as the French CS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

They should also be paid relatively the same as the French CS.

They would die with the shock !
    Its ok to get grants and money from the EC, but do not expect our government or their employees to work for the same rates as the EC.

• Advertisement

My reply was in the context as part of the answer to someone who wrote "It has been stated already in this thread that full cover will be provided."
    You indeed wrote "that there is a difference between a fire in an occupied family home and one in a remote storage shed. ". Later on in the thread you indeed " have never had reason to call on the fire service".
    Like you, I do not have "particular knowledge of how the fire service operates", and neither do I care very much.
    I was merely trying to find out for sure if the fire brigade will still be responding to all emergencies on the 24th, and am reassured to have it confirmed on this thread that they will. :)

So you admit that your reference to my background was not appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

irish_bob wrote: »
    most of the rescue efforts in the west ( ive relatives over there ) came from volluntary efforts , im not criticising the army or the fire brigade but this was and is a cross community effort and btw , those people who,s property has been destroyed , the goverment should focus on compensating those genuine victims , never mind the 350,000 spoilt brats who plan to walk the nations streets on tuesday

more misinformed crap from jimmmys love child! Where you there??? Because I was. Iwas standing in Balinasloe with water up to my knees helping others for no monetary gain. sure, the civil defence etc. did great work, but there were alot of emergency service personnel working off duty!

But then thats the difference between people who work in the emergency services and people like yourself who just like to whinge online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

murf313 wrote: »
    more misinformed crap from jimmmys love child! Where you there??? Because I was. Iwas standing in Balinasloe with water up to my knees helping others for no monetary gain. sure, the civil defence etc. did great work, but there were alot of emergency service personnel working off duty!

But then thats the difference between people who work in the emergency services and people like yourself who just like to whinge online...

you were in one town in one part of the country , we all saw the pictures of farmers slurry tanks sucking up water , i didnt criticise the emergency services , i merley said it was a cross community effort , cant see what your problem is tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Can the mods not do something about Jimmmy hijacking every post with his diatribe about the public sector. The Op asked a simple question "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

Then along comes Jimmmy.........

Apart from his sarcastic opening of fire brigade personnel being 'charming people', he then goes off on his usual rant. We had a bit about public service pay
    You can be as confused as you want, :confused::confused::confused:, but yes, strange as it may seem, given that government borrowing is unsustainable, public sector wages do indeed have to fall back, given prices have decreased in the economy so much in the past year alone, and given our public servants are paid 40% more than the eurozone average.( source : eurostat)
    :D

What has this got to do with "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

We also got a few lines about the swine flu vaccine
    I see the people who give the swine flu vaccine are going on strike too.

Suppose someone who would otherwise get the vaccine that day, gets swine fue in due course and heaven forbid dies....will the HSE care ? Its statistically quite possible given the number who have already died. Shame on the public sector involved.

Again I ask what has this got to do with "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

And then his best so far, a classic
    They would die with the shock !
    Its ok to get grants and money from the EC, but do not expect our government or their employees to work for the same rates as the EC.

Completely irrelevant to what the OP had asked - "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

I implore you mods to stop the Jimmmy show, least nobody be willing to start any kind of a sensible thread for fear of it being hijacked by the almighty Jimmmy. PLEASE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

SLUSK wrote: »
    I have a good solllution. Unions should be allowed to strike AND employers should be allowed to fire striking employees, good sollution.

And when they've fired all the fire brigade personnell, nurses, prison officers, teachers etc. who strike, who do you propose would man our emergency services, hospitals, prisons and schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

dfbemt wrote: »
    Can the mods not do something about Jimmmy hijacking every post with his diatribe about the public sector. The Op asked a simple question "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

Then along comes Jimmmy.........

Apart from his sarcastic opening of fire brigade personnel being 'charming people', he then goes off on his usual rant. We had a bit about public service pay

What has this got to do with "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

We also got a few lines about the swine flu vaccine

Again I ask what has this got to do with "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

And then his best so far, a classic

Completely irrelevant to what the OP had asked - "Should the fire brigade be allowed to strike"?

I implore you mods to stop the Jimmmy show, least nobody be willing to start any kind of a sensible thread for fear of it being hijacked by the almighty Jimmmy. PLEASE

Jeez, now you'll start him on his "public servants are trying to silence me" rant. (Public servants who caused the property bubble yadda yadda yadda).

dresden8 wrote: »
    Jeez, now you'll start him on his "public servants are trying to silence me" rant. (Public servants who caused the property bubble yadda yadda yadda).

Well, the function of public service is to ensure that the needs of the public are served in the best way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dfbemt wrote: »
    Can the mods not do something about Jimmmy hijacking every post with his diatribe about the public sector.

I would be lying if I said I haven't given it serious thought and I wouldn't exactly be a public sector union sympathiser.

And yes jimmmy, consider this a not very veiled warning about constantly dragging threads away from discussion and into rant territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I would certainly support any proposed legislation preventing the fire brigade, doctors, nurses, gardaí, army, coast guard and any emergency service I've forgotten (think mountain rescue and life boat crews are entirely voluntary?) from striking.

We live in a country with strong employee protection laws, unions have served their purpose and can be done away with now.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I would certainly support any proposed legislation preventing the fire brigade, doctors, nurses, gardaí, army, coast guard and any emergency service I've forgotten (think mountain rescue and life boat crews are entirely voluntary?) from striking.

We live in a country with strong employee protection laws, unions have served their purpose and can be done away with now.

The Army cannot strike, further to that they can't have anything resembling a union. Doctors, nurses et al can strike but I think they are required to provide emergency cover by law (though I could be wrong and this might just be convention/tradition/agreement between the unions and the Government).

murf313 wrote: »
    The fire brigade have as much right to strike as anyone else if their terms of employment are being threatened.

Yeah but it's hardly the same to compare them to a normal private sector worker who could put on a full strike without it being dangerous for anyone. They have responsibilities to the public far in excess of anything you'd see in the private sector.

Do nurses who are "on strike" but providing emergency services not forfeit their pay for the day anyway, on the basis that they are on strike but only providing emergency cover?

I heard this before but I'm not sure if this is true, nor does it apply to other emergency workers.

Can somebody please confirm, with a link, or it'll turn into another public sector/union lie so beloved of irish_bob and jimmmy.

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah but it's hardly the same to compare them to a normal private sector worker who could put on a full strike without it being dangerous for anyone. They have responsibilities to the public far in excess of anything you'd see in the private sector.

Say it loud, say it proud sister.

So public sector have responsibilites far in excess of anything you'd see in the private sector. You don't mind if I quote you extensively?

So public sector have responsibilites far in excess of anything you'd see in the private sector. You don't mind if I quote you extensively?

It's for nesf to answer your question, but I wish you wouldn't shout.

It's for nesf to answer your question, but I wish you wouldn't shout.

I was saying it loud and proud. Girlfriend.

• Advertisement

I never generalised it to public sector, I merely observed that a fireman has greater responsibilities than the average private sector worker which was hardly something controversial.

I never generalised it to public sector, I merely observed that a fireman has greater responsibilities than the average private sector worker which was hardly something controversial.

You disagree with a lot of public sector bashers on this forum so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055741797

As per this thread spending four years on the piss in college to get a degree entitles you to a higher wage than firemen purely because of your education level.

Check out the thanks on the first and subsequent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I believe they have a right to protest in a responsible manner which I am certain they will.It would be understandable,if illegal,if they did strike back at gurriers who throw stones at them and ambulance personnel when they enter certain areas in our cities to help and protect the public

It is an "everybody knows" that the fire brigade, the ambulance service and the health service will leave everybody to die on Tuesday.

Nothing is further from the truth and is an insult to people who deserve our highest respect.

I am not dragging on their coat-tails here, I am a pen-pusher who will strike for my own motivations and will have to put up with the likes of jimmmy and irish_bob and their cheerleaders, and I will accept it and move on.

The level of villification directed against these people, who work in much harsher environments than most of us will ever experience, public or private sector is unwarranted, ignorant and just plain downright wrong.

Shame on you.

You disagree with a lot of public sector bashers on this forum so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055741797

As per this thread spending four years on the piss in college to get a degree entitles you to a higher wage than firemen purely because of your education level.

Check out the thanks on the first and subsequent posts.

You're taking a lot of liberties by assuming the thanks on the first post correspond exactly to what you want them to. Seriously, quit trolling we've enough crap on both sides as it is.

You're taking a lot of liberties by assuming the thanks on the first post correspond exactly to what you want them to. Seriously, quit trolling we've enough crap on both sides as it is.

Not just the first. Several thereafter.

Clearly the arguement is that people who have degrees deserve more pay than people who run into burning buildings.

On the basis that running into burning buildings doesn't require a degree.

Not just the first. Several thereafter.

Clearly the arguement is that people who have degrees deserve more pay than people who run into burning buildings.

On the basis that running into burning buildings doesn't require a degree.

Like I said, plenty crap on both sides, please don't drag it across into other threads.

The threads are not un-related.

The subject matter is incredibly close.

They have both evolved into a could they/should they.

The other thread gives lets us know what boardsies think on this issue. Not least the redoubtable jimmmy.

Rightly or wrongly.

The threads are not un-related.

The subject matter is incredibly close.

They have both evolved into a could they/should they.

The other thread gives lets us know what boardsies think on this issue. Not least the redoubtable jimmmy.

Rightly or wrongly.

I'm asking you to not thread spoil. Just because some threads degenerate into mudslinging between posters doesn't mean other threads that are related should suffer the same fate. This isn't open for debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spotdedog

People i done some roving reporting today. I was out with my madra earlier, walked past Dolphins Barn fire station, asked some of the firemen outside what the story was, there was full cover last night and all day today, only thing different they did no station paper work. They are resigned to the fact they are getting a pay cut however they seem positive Dublin City Council will demand another pay cut from them after the government are finished with them. Guards nurses and prison service will face one cut surly that aint fair personally i think the Fire brigade is above the last two mentioned and on a par with Guards if not slightly above them in their standing with the public. Again only my opinion....

Advertisement