Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating (bleeding boiler)

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Just had a refill of oil firebird boiler needs bleeding anyone know how to do this am quite handy or know of a plumber who will not charge an arm and a leg to bleed the boiler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There will be a valve controlled by a nut that will be on the boiler just near wear the inlet pipe accesses it. Just loosen the nut and fire up the boiler and catch the oil that will drip out. It will trip a few times while the air escapes so just restart the boiler a few times and tighten the nut enough to check if the boiler will fire up okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

zarquon wrote: »
    There will be a valve controlled by a nut that will be on the boiler just near wear the inlet pipe accesses it. Just loosen the nut and fire up the boiler and catch the oil that will drip out. It will trip a few times while the air escapes so just restart the boiler a few times and tighten the nut enough to check if the boiler will fire up okay.

Thanks for your help but cant undo the nut, in the centre of the nut there is a small screw am i looking at the right nut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

put a small bowl or something to catch the spill, esp if its an indoor boiler.there a nut on the front(might be 15mm, cant remember), undo until oil comes through without bubbles

[edit]the nut I'm thinking of has no screw attached, and faces towards the front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I think in those boilers there are 2 nuts, 1 which has a screw in it. I think the one with the screw is for regulating the amount of oil going into the boiler, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

Thanks for all your help have had to call in someone but I have got a price thats quite cheap. Will have to learn how to do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mick0mick0

woodies have a big diy book oly 15 euro it will shown you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

bethm wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help have had to call in someone but I have got a price thats quite cheap. Will have to learn how to do it myself.

Get him to check that you have not changed the oil pressure adjustment by turning that screw.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Get him to check that you have not changed the oil pressure adjustment by turning that screw.
    Jim.

he did that thanks for all your help

Advertisement