Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistical Maths Problem in Psychology

• 20-11-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Might be the wrong place to ask, seeing as it's more maths based but just wondering if any one can help me with a psychology assignment for my statistics lectures.

I need to find the values of N and ΣX for the scores in the following frequency distribution table:

X - f
    11 - 2
    5 - 4
    3 - 1
    2 - 2

Even if someone could show me how to do the first one I would be so grateful!
    I'm really at a loss with this. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well I take ΣX to mean the "sum of X" (Σ being the summation operator) so I would add up 11, 5, 3 and 2... to give me 21. I'm not sure about the N though? I would imagine it is just the sum of the numbers in the F column although I'm not certain.

An applied statistics book is great to have when studying psychology. I would recommend Hinkle, Wiersma, & Jurs (2003) Applied statistics for the behavioral sciences, 5th edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jaysond

Did you mean small n instead of N? If so, small n would be 4 for both X and f and they each have 4 elements in their lists.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I suspect Big N is the "average" while "f" is the frequency??

If thats the case then you have 2 occurences of the value 11, 4 occurance of the value 5 etc etc.

so, to find the average, you multiply 11x2 and 4x5 and 3x1 and 2x2 and add up the result (22+20+3+4 = 49) and then divided by the total number of occurances (the sum of f, that is 2+4+1+2 = 9). So N would be 49/9 (whatever that is)...

ALTERNATIVELY (since that seems very complex compared to being asked to simply sum X)... Big N could be the average of X which would be 11+5+3+2 / 4 = 21/4

I think you need to give us some more info before we can answer your question :)

DeV.

Advertisement