Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking through a flood

• 20-11-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

I went through several floods on my way home last night and one of them was so high the water came up over the tops of my boots. The air intake on my Varadero 1000 is at the back of the airbox and at around the same height as my boot-tops.

Am I risking a bent conrod or will the front spark plug get soaked first and I'll simply topple over due to a loss of power?

'cptr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Mhhh... Good question! I'd like to think the engine would simply stop as soon as water enters via the air filter. But I'm no mechanic so to be safe, just avoid it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've driven through many a flood. To be honest if you're moving and the water is below the airbox and exhaust then you're fine.

I found the trick is to hit the water fast enough and you'll just aquaplane over it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

KTRIC wrote: »
    I found the trick is to hit the water fast enough and you'll just aquaplane over it ;)
    That "trick" will turn into a "KTRIC" if you're not careful!

Yes, the expression "Pulling a KTRIC" is now mainstream! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That "trick" will turn into a "KTRIC" if you're not careful!

Yes, the expression "Pulling a KTRIC" is now mainstream! :D

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Just go through on the back wheel and you'll be fine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

If water did get in to the engine it would stop straight away.

Don't know if damage is done straight away or when you try to start it after it dying (with water still in the cylinders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I remember a year and a half ago, in june or something, there was major floods, the n7 was like a river. That day i was in blanch hospital visiting a friend, had to go home late that evening, and heard the m50 was flood too, so i decided to reach lucan via chapelizod, got lost of course and ended up on the strawberry beds, which is like a flood plain for the liffey.
    Anyway, was on my YBR 125, and decided to go through the flood, and it wasn't just a big puddle, the whole road for more than a mile was completely under water, i judged the depth by wether or not i could see the white line.
    I don't know the mechanics of my bike, but it performed quite well, and i didn't end up pushing it home, not a problem for the little yamaha, even though the water was up to the engine or over, i don't remember too well.
    The trick i found was if you keep a steady speed, splitting the water with the front wheel, you'll cause it to be shallow under the engine and the water will collapse back in around the back wheel.

Summary 'Floods are fun :) unlesss you live in Cambria :('

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

im gonna chance the road near me gaff that always gets flooded in a bit for the laugh. Any rain at all and the road gets closed so later should be fun. Bike could do with a wash anyways .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Yeah had a blast driving home a few days ago roaring through some of the big puddles & floods

good ole africa twin
    7 its his air intake & exhaust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

The floods are misery for most, but I must admit I've had some great craic the past few days, I've actually been out looking for floods to ride through. A couple of times I've gone a bit fast and been unable to see from the bow wave coming over the top, and I've had it in deep enough to be up over the exhaust as well, but still no bother once I kept the revs high clearing it. This is so much better than your average boring puddles ! Think I need some new boots now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

The floods are misery for most, but I must admit I've had some great craic the past few days, I've actually been out looking for floods to ride through. A couple of times I've gone a bit fast and been unable to see from the bow wave coming over the top, and I've had it in deep enough to be up over the exhaust as well, but still no bother once I kept the revs high clearing it. This is so much better than your average boring puddles ! Think I need some new boots now though.
    your a headcase fairplay to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Floods rule.

Cool pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Ya need a GS:)
    Michael_Martin_and_the_BMW_1200_GS.jpg

Advertisement