Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm for gun

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

sent off for my gun licence few weaks ago,got a call from my local garda who told me i might need an alarm in the house because its a high powered rifle its a 270,he hasnt bein down yet but has any one had an trouble with this cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

eircom phone watch is what i was told and had to get and then inspected by the crime prevention officer before I collected my deer rifle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Unless you have more than three firearms I don't think you're required to alarm the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

you're not required by law to alarm the house , sounds like another case of the local fo/ super trying to rewrite the law to suit himself again . thought this crap was finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rowa wrote: »
    you're not required by law to alarm the house , sounds like another case of the local fo/ super trying to rewrite the law to suit himself again . thought this crap was finished .

correct and right, do not give in to them, you do not need an alarm just a secure cabinet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's the schedule of security requirements for various numbers and types of firearms, as stated in the Statutory Instrument and reiterated in the Commissioner's Guidelines (page 35):

|Type and number of firearms| Secure accommodation standard
    1 |One non-restricted shot-gun.| The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 |One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. |Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 |Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    4 |Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

It must be noted though, that these are MINIMUM requirements, the granting authority (Superintendent/Chief Superintendent) is perfectly entitled to seek a higher level of security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Rovi wrote: »
    It must be noted though, that these are MINIMUM requirements, the granting authority (Superintendent/Chief Superintendent) is perfectly entitled to seek a higher level of security.
    never notice that bit at the end before:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Im delighted now that my super told me I had to get a monitored alarm....
    Piece of mind for me and my family...the house is like fort knox...and ive put the response to the test and its not long until a phone call to the gardai that the house has been intruded...(3 minutes)

Its in my eyes its a huge resonsibilty to own and keep a firearm (being it a 22lr or a 338 lapua) from letting the low life from breaking in and getting there hands on it.......

There my guns..I spent big money getting them...Im going to do the best I can to keep them and the family safe from the bad guys. and ye know there out there just dying to get there dirty hands on em...Full stop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

what exactly does " kept in the same place" is it the one gun safe in one room or the address "place in the 3rd category just means you can have the room only alarmed
    what about two seperate gun safes kept in different rooms whold you still need a monitored alarm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

4gun wrote: »
    what exactly does " kept in the same place" is it the one gun safe in one room or the address "place in the 3rd category just means you can have the room only alarmed
    That's one interpretation, others would say it's the house. Which would imply that same place means same house.
    what about two seperate gun safes kept in different rooms whold you still need a monitored alarm :confused:
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭muff munch

its a lot of hassle and WONGA,hopefully i wont ave to,so by law you dont ave to ave the house alarmed,good to know,ive the safe bolted to a concrete wall inside in the back of an attic,hopefully thats enough for them,although we have a new super and hes ment to be a bit of an arse hole:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 conbre

i also had to get monitered alarm before they would grant my licence,
    have to agree with dwight, its worth it, if only for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Oh yes, it's definitely worth it as rural Garda Stations are getting the chop and response times in rural areas are going up. Criminals know this as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dwighet wrote: »
    .....Piece of mind for me and my family...the house is like fort knox....

I'll second, third, fourth that. People told me i was mad for submitting my applications before the secure accommodations SIs were published, but i already had monitored alarm, GSM backup, cctv plus all the internal security already in place. As you said dwight it was for my peace of mind, my family's safety and security and secondly i have spent too much on my sport between firearms and accessories (which people sometime over look) to leave them vunerable to thieves.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭altor

dwighet wrote: »
    eircom phone watch is what i was told and had to get

Any alarm company can install a new alarm and get it monitored for you. All installed alarms have to be up to the EN50131 standard plus the installers must be PSA registered.

Advertisement