Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I'm just back from holidays - how do i know that the water that's running from my taps isnt just left over from the tank before i left? I'm in deerpark/friars walk area - is that serviced by the lee road waterworks?

I find it annoying that the council make references to 'areas serviced' by these places without telling us specifics for those of us who dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If your kitchen tap cold tap is working then your fine thats off the mains , all others in the house are prob off the tank in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    I'm just back from holidays - how do i know that the water that's running from my taps isnt just left over from the tank before i left?

Check the cold tap! If there is no water coming from it then you have no water. The hot tap will have water in it and this is what is remaining in your tank as you already guessed :)

I have no water :mad:

Laura McGonigile is doing trojan work to keep people informed as to what's going on. She's gone way above and beyond the call of duty.
    She could just attend council meeting and little else but she is, off her own bat, providing information on her web site, on twitter and is also answering questions directly on this forum (and maybe others), while having leaflets printed and distributed and going on the radio. She's probably doing more that I'm not aware of too.

Your lack of appreciation is not appreciated.

I, for one, hope that all her out of pocket expenses will be well covered.

Yes, the information on the city council site could be better - hardly surprising really!

You can rest assured her out of pocket expenses will be well covered. I was commenting on her website not being particularly frequent with updates. Once she gets a few extra votes out of this disaster she will be happy out so she doesn't need my appreciation in the slightest.

kingtut wrote: »
    Well she has a house in the same estate as me, maybe she does not 'live' in it but she still has a house there. I have never bothered asking her if she sleeps there.

I hope she is paying the €200 property tax on it if it is not her principle residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Are you speaking from experience? I have no interest in politics or politicians however I would never bad mouth them unless I had first hand experience of it...
    Yup, I've been personally snubbed by LMcG! I'm sure she's very good at her job, but she doesn't do general politeness much.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    You can rest assured her out of pocket expenses will be well covered. I was commenting on her website not being particularly frequent with updates. Once she gets a few extra votes out of this disaster she will be happy out so she doesn't need my appreciation in the slightest.
    Exactly.
    I hope she is paying the €200 property tax on it if it is not her principle residence.
    It's not her residence at all. It's just a glorified PO box to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Once she gets a few extra votes out of this disaster she will be happy out so she doesn't need my appreciation in the slightest.

Heaven forbid a politician acting like a politician...

Yes, it's her job to do this stuff but most/many of the people on this forum aren't in her constituency so a lot of the people she's helping to keep informed aren't those she can expect to get votes off of. So she deserves some commendation for giving city wide updates rather than the easier task of only giving updates for her constituency area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In all honesty, kudos to McGonigle for making an effort to get information out rather than the dead silence of other politicians (with one exception) who've vanished off the face of the earth, it seems.

My local man was around Blackpool yesterday, although his constituency isn't there. No sign of anybody else. I wouldn't knock McGonigle, she worked hard over the weekend, pity about the rest of them who've nothing to contribute by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 osullivem

Guys can anyone tell me how to set the gas so it only heats the radiators and not the water? It does not give me the option on the timer, Im FROZEN!!! Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

osullivem wrote: »
    Guys can anyone tell me how to set the gas so it only heats the radiators and not the water? It does not give me the option on the timer, Im FROZEN!!! Cheers!!
    There should be a gate valve near your hot water cylinder just turn that off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

The water from the standpipes is not for drinking. Good for filling the cistern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

osullivem wrote: »

Your Hot water cylinder is still full of water (comes out the top) its OK to turn the heating on, you might not have the option of isolating the hot water cylinder from the rads.

even if there is not water in the cylinder you can turn on the heating there is no danger it will only get as hot as a radiator. Im a plumber i guarentee you will be fine

even if there is not water in the cylinder you can turn on the heating there is no danger it will only get as hot as a radiator. Im a plumber i guarentee you will be fine

True, I've set up a thread for any plumbing questions coming in from flood victims etc, since your a plumber as well maybe you can give a dig out. I am sure tons will come in especially when the water comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

We have WATER! Not sure for how long but we have it yay! \o/

Just did a load of laundry and it made me really happy :) can't believe I would ever get so much joy from washing clothes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Just did a load of laundry and it made me really happy :) can't believe I would ever get so much joy from washing clothes :)

Lucky you :(

If you've been given a disruption to water service notice and its come back on unexpectedly. I'd wana be real careful and know where that water is coming from before I wash my clothes with it.

your very liable to get dirty spurts of water while the disruption is there , be careful many clothes have been destroyed over the years by this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Our water is back too! Blackrock area. Pressure is very low, dunno if it will last but we got the toilets flushed anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Am in Blackpool, no water since midmorning until about 3 hours ago- am nervous of using washing machine. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Am in Blackpool, no water since midmorning until about 3 hours ago- am nervous of using washing machine. :confused:

Don't because if the water goes off half way through the wash you'll have a serious mess or destroy the clothes. Do some handwashing if it's urgent or wait for the plumbers to reply!

cornbb wrote: »
    Our water is back too! Blackrock area. Pressure is very low, dunno if it will last but we got the toilets flushed anyway :)

I've made a separate thread to deal with plumbing questions in this section of boards.ie, their is a small bit of advice on it already. To sum it up, if you've been given notice of disruption to water service be very cautious about using any water the may return unexpectedly before a notice of returned water. Any water that returns unexpectedly could possibly be contaminated by you know what...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thanks, I've been reading the other thread. We've just used it to flush the loo and clean the place. Really appreciate that plumbers etc are coming here volunteering information by the way, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

yipee we got our water back! (for now at least!) its great just to be able to flush the toilet :-) never thought i'd be so excited to flush the loo without using buckets!! its just a little drizzle now but its filling our tank and cistern. i feel really grateful to the on the ground council workers for getting our supply back a bit. its easy to give out about them but i've seen them working day and night around here trying to give us some supply back. when would it be ok to use this water to wash hands and drink? should we boil it for now? just want to say thanks to the plumber thats posting, its really helpful and appreciated.

mimihops wrote: »
    yipee we got our water back! (for now at least!) its great just to be able to flush the toilet :-) never thought i'd be so excited to flush the loo without using buckets!! its just a little drizzle now but its filling our tank and cistern. i feel really grateful to the on the ground council workers for getting our supply back a bit. its easy to give out about them but i've seen them working day and night around here trying to give us some supply back. when would it be ok to use this water to wash hands and drink? should we boil it for now? just want to say thanks to the plumber thats posting, its really helpful and appreciated.

I'd boil that water unless the Co Council have given it the OK,
    I'm not from there so its hard to tell where the water is coming from and what the water networks are like, I am very suspicious as to why they are making so much effort to make supplies available only to have them turned off again.

It doesn't make sense to me to issue a water disruption notice and have it suddenly come back on without notice and then possibly going off again.

I have made up a separate thread in this section (Cork City) which already has some water advice for plumbing and heating etc, might be handy to check it now and then as more information becomes available with more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

items , did you get any reply from Laura ?

I did indeed, I had to send another message, awaiting some news towards my plan. She seems to be gone off the radar today, probably due a rest, or gone into hiding. I hope its a rest.

items wrote: »

I'd boil that water unless the Co Council have given it the OK,
    I'm not from there so its hard to tell where the water is coming from and what the water networks are like, I am very suspicious as to why they are making so much effort to make supplies available only to have them turned off again.

It doesn't make sense to me to issue a water disruption notice and have it suddenly come back on without notice and then possibly going off again.

I think they said they were trying to give partial supply to multiple areas rather than full supply to just one in order to allow people to fill their cisterns and attic tanks with water and to take some of the pressure off them.

nesf wrote: »
    I think they said they were trying to give partial supply to multiple areas rather than full supply to just one in order to allow people to fill their cisterns and attic tanks with water and to take some of the pressure off them.

That's fair enough I can see the reason for doing so but you said it yourself "I think". When your not really certain its best take precautions and judging by the response here most people are clueless as to why the waters coming back so precautions are best.

• Advertisement

items wrote: »
    That's fair enough I can see the reason for doing so but you said it yourself "I think". When your not really certain its best take precautions and judging by the response here most people are clueless as to why the waters coming back so precautions are best.

Well, I said I think because I think I read it somewhere as the reason for this, but I'm tired etc so don't feel like rooting around to find a source for it. It would be a lot more sensible to announce the schedule for turning on and off water though alright.

Advertisement