Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

mudokon wrote: »
    I'm not far from there, I just phoned the council helpline & they reckon it will be the early part of next week before water is back.

That is bloody scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

gpf101 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't care what people say about them working hard/doing the best they can etc. Its an absolute joke of the highest order and an utter disgrace. 9 days without water, your having a laugh. I drove past the water works sun or monday night and there was 1 car outside there and I couldn't see anyone doing anything. There should be teams and teams of people working flat out 24/7 to get it back. Shocking effort.

Talking to people today many southsiders & city centre folk were talking were really surprised that I still have no water!

The house is filthy, can't realistically do any serious cleaning. There's no way of washing dishes etc so I've been living on takeaways & eating out for 9 days now!
    Some of my neighbours have moved into hotels!!

I am really worried about elderly and more vulnerable people as at this stage heating systems are starting to fail too and it's very cold.

One or two days without water is inconvenient. Over a week is utterly mad!

It's like the city council or officials don't really care about the northside !

I know individual council workers have done lots and I know one or two councillors have worked hard but overall the entire effort gas been an absolute disgrace. If it wasn't for community spirit we'd have been dead by now!

There has been no leadership from local or national government!

In fact, I'm starting to wonder do we even need a government?! They were that useless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Solair wrote: »
    Talking to people today many southsiders & city centre folk were talking were really surprised that I still have no water!

The house is filthy, can't realistically do any serious cleaning. There's no way of washing dishes etc so I've been living on takeaways & eating out for 9 days now!
    Some of my neighbours have moved into hotels!!

I am really worried about elderly and more vulnerable people as at this stage heating systems are starting to fail too and it's very cold.

One or two days without water is inconvenient. Over a week is utterly mad!

It's like the city council or officials don't really care about the northside !

I know individual council workers have done lots and I know one or two councillors have worked hard but overall the entire effort gas been an absolute disgrace. If it wasn't for community spirit we'd have been dead by now!

There has been no leadership from local or national government!

In fact, I'm starting to wonder do we even need a government?! They were that useless!!!

Why do you keep on posting like it's just the northside?I live on the southside and I still don't have water and plenty others too.

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22315,en.html

Water seems to be coming back to ye today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Quyxat

Hi,

I must admit I am not familiar with all the names and streets here so I was wondering if someone living on Monard Glen (Rathpeacon, near Sunset Ridge Hotel) could confirm with me we are on this list for today's mains supply: http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22315,en.html.

Thank you!

titan18 wrote: »
    Why do you keep on posting like it's just the northside?I live on the southside and I still don't have water and plenty others too.

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22315,en.html

Water seems to be coming back to ye today.

Well I can only base my post on the scant information available!
    The majority of southside areas appear to have water other than a few high up places like capwell.

I notice the evening echo hasn't even bothered to provide am update today!

Utterly useless communication by the city council!

• Advertisement

Well I can only base my post on the scant information available!
    The majority of southside areas appear to have water other than a few high up places like capwell.

I notice the evening echo hasn't even bothered to provide am update today!

Utterly useless communication by the city council!

I live in Deerpark and I have none.Afaik,college road area still don;t have water either.Said on the Echo yesterday,southside would be getting water back today but nothing yet.

I agree with you about the information part but it's the whole city,not just the northside that are without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I can tell you honestly that running water is getting back to homes as quickly as is possible. It could not have been done faster given the damage that was done at the pumping station. It's not through any lack of effort that getting running water back is being delayed.

titan18 wrote: »
    I live in Deerpark and I have none.Afaik,college road area still don;t have water either.Said on the Echo yesterday,southside would be getting water back today but nothing yet.

I agree with you about the information part but it's the whole city,not just the northside that are without water.

I'm just a bit annoyed had a few "well those are the hazards of living on the northside (sneering laugh)" comments from sone colleagues of mine from rochestown!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

anyone get it back yet today? im in meadow park and we have nothing yet. I presume when it gives roads and surrounding areas meadow park is covered as some of the roads pass meadow park.

Still nothing coming out of the taps here. I was advised by the helpline that there might be some water flow later tonight as the reservoirs continue to fill.

There seemed to be guys in high-vis jackets with tools for opening valves all around Wellington Road / St Lukes / Military Hill / Collin's Barracks area earlier today.

I can only assume that they were venting air from pipes or opening valves that had been shut or something.

So, fingers x'd that something comes out of the taps tonight!!

I was talking to one guy near by who had water, but it's pretty seriously brown and disgusting. So, I wouldn't be counting on being able to use it for much more than flushing toilets until it clears up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nothing in my house in Ballintemple, except for the odd trickle we've been getting all week.

They're really going to have to get to work on making sure this never happens again though.

If we get another serious dose of rain later in the winter, what's to say that we won't all be back in this state again ?

I'd like to see some serious action being taken to ensure that the dam reservoirs are kept low through the wettest part of the year.

The hydro stations on the Lee produce a tiny amount of electricity, something like 27 MW vs 525 MW at Aghada (pre upgrade!) it's adding another 430MW to that.

So, in perspective the power generation at the Lee dams is pretty much incidental as a % of the overall power requirements in the network.

I think the focus should be put on flood protection, rather than power generation at the dams.

If they incidentally generate power, great, but if there is ANY risk of flooding to the city they should be as low as possible even if that means generating no power.

The cost to the city in terms of direct damage and the knock-on water disruption is absolutely immense compared to the value of the power produced by those dams.

They should primarily be flood defenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

They're really going to have to get to work on making sure this never happens again though.

If we get another serious dose of rain later in the winter, what's to say that we won't all be back in this state again ?

I'd like to see some serious action being taken to ensure that the dam reservoirs are kept low through the wettest part of the year.

The hydro stations on the Lee produce a tiny amount of electricity, something like 27 MW vs 525 MW at Aghada (pre upgrade!) it's adding another 430MW to that.

So, in perspective the power generation at the Lee dams is pretty much incidental as a % of the overall power requirements in the network.

I think the focus should be put on flood protection, rather than power generation at the dams.

If they incidentally generate power, great, but if there is ANY risk of flooding to the city they should be as low as possible even if that means generating no power.

The cost to the city in terms of direct damage and the knock-on water disruption is absolutely immense compared to the value of the power produced by those dams.

They should primarily be flood defenses.

The ESB are not being honest about what happened.
    The cock and bull story in today's Echo, give no new information.
    Why was water held back until the last minute?
    To look for a body? Or was it being kept high to pump more electricity?
    (Hydo complaits wind power well because you get instant power on demand)

Since we live in this country, we will never get a straight answer.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Quyxat wrote: »
    Hi,

I must admit I am not familiar with all the names and streets here so I was wondering if someone living on Monard Glen (Rathpeacon, near Sunset Ridge Hotel) could confirm with me we are on this list for today's mains supply: http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22315,en.html.

Thank you!

Sorry your not the list. Its just the areas close to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

nesf wrote: »
    I can tell you honestly that running water is getting back to homes as quickly as is possible. It could not have been done faster given the damage that was done at the pumping station. It's not through any lack of effort that getting running water back is being delayed.

Accepting that, was there never any risk assessment that considered this as a possibility? Contingency plan?

Thank you Dob74!

I have called the city council and they have told me it will be 2 or 3 more days before Rathpeacon has it's water supply restored. Need to find a Launderette now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GeistigerMuell

I have called the city council and they have told me it will be 2 or 3 more days before Rathpeacon has it's water supply restored.

Wow! I live near Blackstone Bridge (south of you) and I was hoping to see the water returning today. Did they tell you why it will take an additional 2-3 days, i.e. the reservoir takes that long to fill or something?

Nope, after I have heard it would take 2 or 3 more days I didn't even bother asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GeistigerMuell

Nope, after I have heard it would take 2 or 3 more days I didn't even bother asking.

Understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

when is it back in hollyhill? seriously cant take it anymore, want a hot shower.

• Advertisement

"Cork City Council is pleased to confirm that mains water supply is today being progressively restored and to the remaining high areas north of the River Lee. It is hoped that this will be completed over the next 24 hours."

Source: http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22319,en.html

24h... :D... "hoped" ... :/

Just told water won't be back in my area until Tuesday or Wednesday.What a f*ckin joke!

Whereabouts are you?

For us here the water went last Monday (so we were one of the last areas to lose water).

So I assume we will also be the last to get it back...

Whereabouts are you?

For us here the water went last Monday (so we were one of the last areas to lose water).

So I assume we will also be the last to get it back...

Deerpark.It's Friars Walk area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 guihane

Just rang the helpline. It will be tomorrow before water is back to Montenotte. Disaster.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

megcork wrote: »
    when is it back in hollyhill? seriously cant take it anymore, want a hot shower.

Had it back in Milestream there last night, surprised you dont have it back!

guihane wrote: »
    Just rang the helpline. It will be tomorrow before water is back to Montenotte. Disaster.com

In that area too. We had water over night. There was a really loud rumble at about 4am. I actually thought someone was breaking in, but it was just airlock clearing.
    It came through clean st the tap, so I put on the dishwasher and had a nice hot shower this morning.

Halfway through my shower it started gurgling! Water had gone off again and there had been no sign since!

I rang the helpline & they really don't seem to know anything!

It might come back tonight / tomorrow!

useless!

At least I got a shower though!

"Cork City Council is pleased to confirm that mains water supply is today being progressively restored and to the remaining high areas north of the River Lee. It is hoped that this will be completed over the next 24 hours."

Source: http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22319,en.html

24h... :D... "hoped" ... :/

That link says south, not north. And if it's south, then yay! I need showers, dishwashers, washing machines to be all working again for my own sanity!

Either I am blind or my English is worse than I thought, where does it say south?

• Advertisement

Meh. I'm blind too. Up the top of the article it mentions the North early in the week, and then at the bottom of the article is says what's below. Sorry!
    It is hoped that the ongoing works at the Water Treatment Plant and on the 600km network will enable the council to restore supplies to the remaining areas south of the River Lee early in the coming week

Advertisement