Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

gpf101 wrote: »
    Had it back in Milestream there last night, surprised you dont have it back!

:( They were saying something about the resevoir having to fill up and it will take a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

nacl wrote: »
    Accepting that, was there never any risk assessment that considered this as a possibility? Contingency plan?

There's never been flooding like this ever in living memory. No one expected this to happen. This can definitely be criticised but it's understandable why it would happen to me anyway. It's easy to criticise stuff with 20/20 hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

nesf wrote: »
    There's never been flooding like this ever in living memory. No one expected this to happen. This can definitely be criticised but it's understandable why it would happen to me anyway. It's easy to criticise stuff with 20/20 hindsight.

You should expect anything, not having a plan in place in case of extreme flooding/drought etc is the height of stupidity imo.

titan18 wrote: »
    You should expect anything, not having a plan in place in case of extreme flooding/drought etc is the height of stupidity imo.

Well, the equipment in these places runs to multiple millions of Euro. Setting up a separate pumping station somewhere else would not be cheap or easy. The pumping station should be moved out to the Inniscara dam where it would be safe but this would be a very expensive thing to do. I think this should happen but it's not difficult to see why there would not have been much political will for this to happen before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Quyxat

That's water under the bridge now (hihi, SCNR) but I really do hope there will be changes to the Cork water supply very soon to reduce the chances of this ever happening again.

If they'd introduce a fee for water there would be some leverage there for the households supplied with it. Still don't get it why it is free in Ireland. It is great at the same time I wouldn't expect the system to be all shiny, new and first and foremost fail safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I called the city council and they said that the intermediate level areas will be back today!

Eg montenotte, st likes, Wellington road and other areas at that kind of height.

Higher areas of northside are due back online within 24 hours.

The bad news is that southside high areas eg Deerpark are going to be last to come back on stream. So you might be waiting a while eg Tuesday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

Accepting that, was there never any risk assessment that considered this as a possibility? Contingency plan?
    nesf wrote: »

Hindsight does not come into it. This problem at the waterworks was expected.

The ESB plant manager suggested flood gates for the Lee Rd waterworks fully 23 years ago.

That was in the aftermath of what the ESB told us was a '500 year' event.... :cool:

http://floodmaps.ie/View/FloodPressArchives.aspx?Type=PressArchive&FloodId=492

Examiner August 7 1986

... 'if there were problems at the Waterworks on the Lee Rd then perhaps it was time that a flood gate was built there.'

Hindsight does not come into it. This problem at the waterworks was expected.

The ESB plant manager suggested flood gates for the Lee Rd waterworks fully 23 years ago.

That was in the aftermath of what the ESB told us was a '500 year' event.... :cool:

http://floodmaps.ie/View/FloodPressArchives.aspx?Type=PressArchive&FloodId=492

Examiner August 7 1986

... 'if there were problems at the Waterworks on the Lee Rd then perhaps it was time that a flood gate was built there.'

Would flood gates work? Also, link doesn't for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

That link works if you click on Enter, then Accept, then click on the link from here again.

I had to right click on the link and 'open in a new window'.

For some reason it seems to automatically close the window when you link it. Strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

what about Mayfield/Silversprings area - still no water here:mad:

leahyl wrote: »
    what about Mayfield/Silversprings area - still no water here:mad:

According to what I've heard from the City Council helpline, if you are higher up than about the Middle Glammire road, you are more likely to get water as the high reservoirs come on stream tonight.

I'd say you can expect supply to start reaching your house in the wee small hours!

They're filling the high-level reservoirs and water towers right now.

It quite literally just depends on how high above sea level your house is!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks solair! We just got our water back about 10 minutes ago! Woohoo! Ah the sound of running water!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Quyxat wrote: »
    Thank you Dob74!

I have called the city council and they have told me it will be 2 or 3 more days before Rathpeacon has it's water supply restored. Need to find a Launderette now :(

My water came back on last night:o.
    It looks like guinness coming out of the tape. better than nothing

Dob74 wrote: »
    My water came back on last night:o.
    It looks like guinness coming out of the tape. better than nothing

Maybe they've accidentally hooked you up to the Murphy's plant ?

Ours was a bit mucky for a few mins but cleared up very quickly. I was able to put on a load of washing no problem it's perfectly clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Deerpark is back! :) Apparently was Guiness-style for a while but by the time I got home (8pm) it was clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Solair wrote: »
    I called the city council and they said that the intermediate level areas will be back today!

Eg montenotte, st likes, Wellington road and other areas at that kind of height.

Higher areas of northside are due back online within 24 hours.

The bad news is that southside high areas eg Deerpark are going to be last to come back on stream. So you might be waiting a while eg Tuesday!!

I have water back in Deerpark now. :D The council also put a load of water vats in place today which is just typical, not complaining though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya,I have water back in Deerpark too.It's slightly brown in the upstairs toilets and the shower doesn't work but it's fine bar that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya,I have water back in Deerpark too.It's slightly brown in the upstairs toilets and the shower doesn't work but it's fine bar that.

My shower works but the water coming out of it is a little on the brown side as well, at least there is some water there though.

I would like to thank everybody involved who brought it back, even itf they are unlikely to read this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Is anybody else in the douglas road area still having low water pressure problems? We still dont have enough water pressure for having showers yet. If there is notify the council so they know there are still issues. Otherwise they wont have a clue and will think everything is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm near the Silver Key, and it's very low pressure. So low my hot tanks haven't replensihed yet. And the water has been on and off all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blackest

Still no water at tweedmount , probably at the end of the pipeline what with blarney being just down the road and totally unaffected.

It's just going to take a while for the city's system to re-pressurise and that won't happen until everything's back to its usual levels.

When the water goes back on, there are tens of thousands of attic tanks and toilet cisterns filling simultaneously this creates a huge demand on the system.

Water to your house is fed by gravity from reservoirs and water towers, it is not pumped down the public supply mains.

Once the reservoirs re-fill to their normal levels, pressure will return to normal. It's also likely to be better at lower lying levels than in areas on hills until the system is completely back to normal.

The pumps at Lee Road are back on line and filling the system, so I think it's just a case of waiting for normal service to resume.

At least it seems that most people actually have running water now, even if it's a bit slow!

The luxuries of flushing toilets, that you don't have to fill with a bucket!

We're at 'intermediate level' on the north side and the pressure's returned to a fairly decent level, it's still not quite normal but the washing machine and dishwasher seemed to be happy enough on it.

When it came back on first, the washing machine threw a bit of a strop and started flashing up messages about Water Pressure Too Low - Check Water Connection !! - Wash aborted!

Too smart for its own good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 osullivem

Still no water here in Ballinlough - Day 10! Getting really pissed off at this stage considering most people in the city have theirs back. Does anyone have any idea when we should expect it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

osullivem wrote: »
    Still no water here in Ballinlough - Day 10! Getting really pissed off at this stage considering most people in the city have theirs back. Does anyone have any idea when we should expect it back?

Ring the council to inform them you are without water, when I rang the seemed to think everyone should have water back, if nobody is complaining then they wont know if there are issues or not. There is not even updates on the website today, as far as they are concerned all is okay now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

osullivem wrote: »

I live in Ballinlough and we got our water back on Wed (was a bit dirty but by Fri it was 100% clear), what part of B'lough are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm in Ballinlough/Ballintemple (Right in the middle), and the city said today when I phone them that it would be another 2 days for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Water back in the Collins Barracks, Old Youghal Rd, St Lukes area since yesterday, running clear.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 osullivem

Just rang the city council there and they informed me that Wednesday would be an optimistic guess. So much for the "before Sunday" story we got on the council website. If we were told it would be Wednesday/Thursday in the first place then it wouldn't be as annoying but i've been expecting the water back since yesterday and have now been told ill be waiting another 2 days at least! Dunno what to say at this stage, no point in arguing with them, a bloody update on the website would be handy. In fairness it is looking like we are gonna be without running water for nearly 2 weeks which is completely unacceptable, I am so pissed off right now. Im on the Ballinlough Road BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

I'm in Ballinlough/Ballintemple (Right in the middle), and the city said today when I phone them that it would be another 2 days for us.

I rang yesterday at around 4:30pm and they said it would be back in 24 hours. Still nothing.

Advertisement