Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manila

• 20-11-2009 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

Those nasty people I work for are thinking of sending me to Manila for a couple of weeks in December. Anybody been there before? Got any ideas on whats fun in the part of Asia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Not been to Manila but was in Indonesia last year... Supposed to be great diving around there, drink is cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

If you do only one thing in Manila, take the day trip to Corregidor, a fortified island in Manila Bay which was the scene of ferocious fighting in World War 2.

The entire island is a memorial to the war and is worth the trip to the Phillipines on its own.

The second place to hit is the island of Boracoy, about a 40 minute flight from Manila, a beach resort which has about 5 miles of beach lined with beach bars and restaurants and little hotels, all of which are are separated from the beach by a 6 foot footpath, its fantastic, beer is about 50 cents a bottle,.ignore the fellas trying to sell you fake watches, (they ignore you after a day) and sit on a swing at a bar with a mojito, looking out at the sun setting in Manila bay. Life doesn't get much better

The Filipinos are lovely people, but the contrast of poverty and wealth in Manila is shocking, The financial district, Makati is like a mini Manhatten, 10 minutes drive will bring you through shanty towns.

Enjoy your trip, it'll be an experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Hi! I'm moving out here for a job now for about a year or so, and just wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences of the place?

What's it like to live in? Is it expensive etc?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

I wasn't an emormous fan of Manila, but I adored the Philippines. I found it very different to Indonesia- the food, the people, the experience. So I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Corregidor is certainly the highlight of the city, in terms of 'tourist attractions', but I think the real beauty of the Philippines lies outside of Manila. I scarcely know where to start to be honest.

The most incredible place I have ever been (well, it's Top 5) is a town called Banaue, North of Manila. It's about a 10-12hr bus journey, but if you make the journey on the roof of the bus, it is a worthwhile adventure! It is a region noted for it's rice terraces and it is spectacular. You can do an easy hike to a town in the centre of the terraces, that has no road access, and that is nothing short of superb.

Another highlight, not too far from Manila, is Luzon. Its actually a fairly long bus journey, BUT when you get there it is an excellent site for snorkelling with whale sharks. The town itself is tiny and pretty non-descript, but really friendly and a nice insight into small town, traditional, Filipino living.

After travelling the north I went straight to Cebu and to the island south of there, which would be a bit of a jaunt if you're only there for a few weeks. But the northern region and the rice terraces was the highlight for me anyway. It was amazing.

Oh and the spicy roasted peanuts, that you can buy on the streets of Manila, are a reason to go there in the first place!! That and the DIRT CHEAP and delicious rum... Oh and I thought travelling the city by jeepney was great craic and a fantastic way to meet locals.

The only thing about the Philippines that I found a little disappointing was the food. I found them to be really into their fast food and I found it difficult to get good, traditional food. But I may well stand corrected if another posted has some good recommendations on where to go for decent Filipino cuisine.

Enjoy! It is one of my favourite countries- only surpassed by India and Indonesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Burgess

I am moving out here this week to start a new job and would love to hear from anyone with any experiences (good or bad)

I will be living & working in down-town makati

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Gav104

Hi Mr Burgess, How do you find it so far ? I m living in the Philippines that past few years..

Manila is not the nicest city in the world but you have plenty of places to visit over long weekends and that kind of thing.I have a friend who lives in Global city and he much prefers it to Makati but I think the rents are higher in Global City.

Gavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Maila is okay, it felt quite americanised to me, with a lot of shopping malls and high rise developments. I think the best of the philipinnes is outside of manila. I spent 10 days in Borcay and loved it, reminded me of the island in theBounty ad! Like a lot of the philipinnes it is very lush and tropical on one side of the island, with the most amazing white sand turquoise beach on the other side. You could easily lose days, weeks, months of you life sipping rum cocktails under the stars in this place. If you are into water sports then this is the place to go to. I have heard that palawan is even nicer so maybe plan a week there when you get some time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Burgess

Enjoying it so far, I am living in BCG myself so much more relaxed way of life than Makati. Will have to get to Boracay soon for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Gav104

Still enjoying it ?

Advertisement