Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying questions

Options
  • 20-11-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

in the process of applying for gun licence. few questions
    in section 2.3 it asks about referee's, who do people normally put down, gun club members etc

in section 2.5 proof of competence. what does this require, im meeting gun club chair next week to sign up, would being a member of a gun club do.

and finally do you have to be a member of a club for a ertain amount of time before going for the licence.

sorry about all the questions.. first time applying and want to get it right, so any tips would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Section 2.3 - Referees - One can be a family member (not a spouse) the other a non family member (professional, doctor, club member/ secretary/ range officer, etc) Pretty much anyone of good public standing that can vouch for your character.

Section 2.5 - Being a member of a gun culb, without any previous shooting experiece, will not suffice, but the NARGC are running competency courses for members so when you join the gun club and confirm your membership contact the NARGC and ask about doing a competency course. Give them your club details, etc.

You do not need to be a member of a gun club to apply for a firearm but it helps considerably when you try to validate the good reason on your application. The "proof of competency" section is aimed solely at those applying for the first time for a particular firearm. So if you have held a cert for a shotgun (example) before now you need not fill in the competency section as your previous experience of using the firearm constitutes your competency.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I put down my dad and my sisters boyfriend as Ref's. basically put down people you know will give you good references if called, neither of mine were contacted. The Gardai will expect you to put down people who'll be in your favour anyhow.

Don't put down any Swedish people though, never know what they'd go an do on ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i have a bit of experience with hunting, i have been walking out with my neighbour with the last 2 years, i know a bit about guns and would consider myself very safe with handling guns loading etc as my neighbour is hunting with over 40 years and very safty aware

Thats a start but i think its more designed with ownership and usage in mind. By that i mean you could have gone out for years with other shooters but unless you have owned and used a firearm yourself then you technically would be classed as a first time owner. Go see the secretary with the gunclub. Join up and within a few weeks you'll have your membership card from the NARGC. Then contact the them and arrange a course date. I didn't have to do one myself but i cannot believe it will be set up to "catch" people out. It'll be basic handling, safety and proper usage.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

out of interest how would i prove competence if i wasnt in a gun club, just had permission from farmers

• Advertisement

Its unfamiliar territory, but i imagine you could contact a local range and go there and spend a few hours under the tutelage of the range officer there. As mentioned before its not really whether you are a good/great shot (although hitting the target would be important) its about your ability to safely handle the firearm in other words are you competent to use the firearm without supervision in the field (excuse the pun).

A letter from the range officer/secretary of the range to say you ticked all the boxes while there should suffice, plus it would be no harm to have a letter or two from others you have shot with saying you excerised good safety practices while out with them. This would be more of a confirmation of your character hence the reason you need a somewhat official letter/decree from an authorised range/association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jap gt wrote: »
    out of interest how would i prove competence if i wasnt in a gun club, just had permission from farmers

Get a training cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Do you have anything against scandinavians?Please let me know if you do so i can get into a more serious discussion?Here i seem to be shut down the minute i have an opinion.Its freedom of speech here isnt it or not?icon8.gif

I think NV that he was making a joke about something unrelated to you.

JG is not a bad lad and never would make personal remarks about any race or creed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

I think NV that he was making a joke about something unrelated to you.

JG is not a bad lad and never would make personal remarks about any race or creed.

I know tackle

Sorry about the hole thing.Just trying to get along hereicon7.gif
    The thing is deleted.just a bit p......ed of today.No offence to anyone.

I know tackle

Sorry about the hole thing.Just trying to get along hereicon7.gif

Happy Days!

I put down my father on the application form as he owns the land I have to shoot, and I put down the chairman of the range of which I have been a member for many years.

Neither were rang, "I hope" my character spoke for itself ;)

• Advertisement

Happy Days!

I put down my father on the application form as he owns the land I have to shoot, and I put down the chairman of the range of which I have been a member for many years.

Neither were rang, "I hope" my character spoke for itself ;)

I am sure your character speaks for the rest tackle,you have been my one and only contact so far.

Thanks once again

I am sure your character speaks for the rest tackle,you have been my one and only contact so far.

Thanks once again

I'm used to being a foreigner, I've worked for Americians for the past 7 years :D:D

Ireland is still a Tribal country, the Natives often fear change :D:D:D

But after a while they let their guard down and invite you top the pub with them :D:D

I'm used to being a foreigner, I've worked for Americians for the past 7 years :D:D

Ireland is still a Tribal country, the Natives often fear change :D:D:D

But after a while they let their guard down and invite you top the pub with them :D:D

I know bud i just got home from the pub lolicon7.gifBut the problem is that i cant discuss what i do for a living(captain of a offshorevessel) or any shooting?hunting here cause nobody seems to be into it if you know what i mean lolicon7.gif
    Thats why i joined the board instead to met someone that i got something in common with.icon7.gif

I know bud i just got home from the pub lolicon7.gifBut the problem is that i cant discuss what i do for a living(captain of a offshorevessel) or any shooting?hunting here cause nobody seems to be into it if you know what i mean lolicon7.gif
    Thats why i joined the board instead to met someone that i got something in common with.icon7.gif

Lots of hunters out there, you got to know where to find them.

I would deffo recommend joining a club for that reason.

I made many contacts many years ago when i first joined the club I am in now.

Those contacts have proved invalueable up and down the years.

Nobody would have the first clue about my job either, Unless they also worked in the same company.

I talk about Guns in work and about work in the Gun club :D

The best thing you could do to get your application process going is to frequent a club and get your face known.

And ask any farmers you know; dop they need rabbits or foxes controlled. Do a good job for one guy and you will never be short of shooting grounds.

Lots of hunters out there, you got to know where to find them.

I would deffo recommend joining a club for that reason.

I made many contacts many years ago when i first joined the club I am in now.

Those contacts have proved invalueable up and down the years.

Nobody would have the first clue about my job either, Unless they also worked in the same company.

I talk about Guns in work and about work in the Gun club :D

The best thing you could do to get your application process going is to frequent a club and get your face known.

And ask any farmers you know; dop they need rabbits or foxes controlled. Do a good job for one guy and you will never be short of shooting grounds.

Sounds like a good plan tackle.Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.
    Just want things do be done right without stepping on somebodys toes,if you know what mean.So thats why its hard to ask anybody around here where i live cause we dont share the same interesticon7.gif

Sounds like a good plan tackle.Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.
    Just want things do be done right without stepping on somebodys toes,if you know what mean.So thats why its hard to ask anybody around here where i live cause we dont share the same interesticon7.gif

The first step is always the hardest!

Through boards I discovered many shooters who live very close to where I live!

You would be surprised.

The first step is always the hardest!

Through boards I discovered many shooters who live very close to where I live!

You would be surprised.

You are probably right Tackle.
    Anyway one thing at the time i guess,first i need to hit the paper at the range before i go any furthericon7.gif
    But i would love a shotgun to in the future for some clay/vermint control as well,and i get on really well with my next door neighbours who happens tp be farmers with acres of land to shoot on,its just that i am a bit shy and prefer to keep a low profile,but i guess it does no harm to ask.

You are probably right Tackle.
    Anyway one thing at the time i guess,first i need to hit the paper at the range before i go any furthericon7.gif
    But i would love a shotgun to in the future for some clay/vermint control as well,and i get on really well with my next door neighbours who happens tp be farmers with acres of land to shoot on,its just that i am a bit shy and prefer to keep a low profile,but i guess it does no harm to ask.

http://www.ifa.ie/IFA/Contacts.aspx

These lads might help you find farmers that want vermin controlled.

http://www.nargc.ie/site/contact/contact.aspx

These guys either could direct you to a game club in your area.

There are also a few Agri shows coming up in the next few weeks!

http://www.ifa.ie/IFA/Contacts.aspx

These lads might help you find farmers that want vermin controlled.

http://www.nargc.ie/site/contact/contact.aspx

These guys either could direct you to a game club in your area.

There are also a few Agri shows coming up in the next few weeks!

Thanks tackle

Ill look into it and see what they have to offer.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement