Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii package options

Options
  • 20-11-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

With Christmas fast approaching and Santa still to sort, I'm looking for advice on a Wii. The kids (6, 4, 3) are looking for one this Christmas but I know little about them apart from having played around with then a few times.

Different stores have different packages at different prices which leaves me wondering what options and prices are best....

Any advice on options and prices gratefully accepted

WEXCDK
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you want one for all 3, then your priority is getting remotes. Thats where nintendo makes alot of money as they are quite expensive. I know gamestop had a very good offer recently for 299 for a wii, 3 games and 2 remotes, both with motion plus. Remember as well, some games will need a nunchuck to play properly. You'll get one of these with the console but you have to buy them seperately after that. you don't get them with the remotes.

I'm working as a nintendo rep so i'll try and get more details to you later from different stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What's motion plus? What supports it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

motion plus is an adapter to the wii remote

wii-motion-plus.jpg

it basically has a more sensitive set of accelerometers which work with the Wii to make it more sensitive to your movements. It works very well most of the time, but it needs to be re-calibrated every time you over work it (by setting it down while the game is paused for about 10 seconds).

The Wii Sports resort was released to promote it and a few other games are supporting it, such as grand slam tennis. Red Steel 2 will also be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Regardless of them currently employing me I think this is one of the best Wii offers available

http://www.toys.ie/consoleoffers/wii/124994.aspx

Two remotes, two nunchucks, two motion plus. Sports, Sports Resort, Wii Play and one other game (pretty much anything excluding Wii Fit, Rock Band, Guitar Hero or DJ Hero)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

HMV are doing the basic package, console, controller and Wii sports for 149 euro until 03/12/09. Good price.

• Advertisement

HMV are doing the basic package, console, controller and Wii sports for 149 euro until 03/12/09. Good price.

They're clearing out the old stock, new Wii stock has the Motion Plus and Sports Resort included, both together amounting to €50 - €55 so if these are required avoid this. Otherwise quite cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SChemie

Just bought Wii console with Wii sports + Wii Sports Resort + motion plus controller for £164.99 on Amazon. Option to get another game for £15 and Mario Kart with wheel for £20. Free delivery.
    (would have taken deal from Smyths on toys.ie but was not in stock)

Found that extra controller was cheaper on Argos than Amazon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Smyths are doing a good deal at the minute for €199:

Offer Contains a Nintendo Wii Console (Black or white), PLUS all these extras:
    • Wii Sports
    • Wii Sports Resort
    • 2 Selected Games*
    • Two €5 vouchers
    • Loyalty Card
    * Selected Games are New Super Mario Brothers, Super Smash Brothers Brawl or Mario Strilers

http://www.toys.ie/consoleoffers/nintendo-wii-offer3/125149.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Smyths are doing a good deal at the minute for €199:

Offer Contains a Nintendo Wii Console (Black or white), PLUS all these extras:
    • Wii Sports
    • Wii Sports Resort
    • 2 Selected Games*
    • Two €5 vouchers
    • Loyalty Card
    * Selected Games are New Super Mario Brothers, Super Smash Brothers Brawl or Mario Strilers

http://www.toys.ie/consoleoffers/nintendo-wii-offer3/125149.aspx

Does it come with any motion plus controller?

timbertime wrote: »
    Does it come with any motion plus controller?

It's packaged with Sports Resort

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Here is a list of prices for some of the more popular shops, accurate as of Friday a week ago and update a few times since. this link has similar lists for other consoles. their are some good deals out there if you shop around.

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck controller

Littlewoods.ie – €339 Includes Overlord: Dark Legends and Harry potter and the half blood prince games

Nintendo Wii Console – Mario & Sonic Olympics + Wii Sports Resort

XtraVision – €219.99 includes free €20 games vouchers

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports

Argos – €239.99

Komplet.ie – €209.00

Pixmania.ie – €195

HMV – €149

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort

Argos – €239.99 – Surprisingly the same price as the one without Sports Resort?

Smyth’s – €299.99 + Wii Play, Extra Controller, 1 game of your choice, Wii accessory pack, 2x€5 Vouchers.

Dunnes Stores – €239

Nintendo Wii Console Black – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports & Sports Resort

Smyth’s – €199.99!! Bargain! – Cheapest so far!

Littlewoods – €259.99

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller Wii Fit Board & Rechargeable Battery Pk.

Argos – €332.47

Nintendo Wii Console – Nunchuck Remote + Wii Sports + Sports Resort + Motion+

Komplett.ie – €219 Not including delivery

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Carnival Games + Big Family Games & 15-in-1 accessory pack

Littlewoods.ie – €299

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports, Sports Resort + Motion plus + Remote Control + Indiana Jones Lego 2 + Free game from a list

Game – €199

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports + Sports Resort + Motion plus + Choose 1 from Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Mario or Sonic Olympics

HMV – €221.99

Nintendo Wii Console – Wii Fit Board and Wii Fit Game

HMV – €269.99

Nintendo Wii Console – 1 Nunchuck Controller + Wii Sports + Sports resort + Any Game

Gamestop – €219.99

Nintendo Wii Console – 2 controllers – Racing Wheel + Wii Sports + Wii Play + Wii Resort + Smash Brothers and Mario Kart Games

Gamestop – €299.99

Nintendo Wii Console – Motion+ Controller – Wii Sports – Wii Sports resort

Amazon.co.uk – £164.99 not include delivery – get another game for £15 euro from a list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My girlfriend is gettin the Smyths Wii package for Xmas, can I be certain that she doesnt have mario kart. iv also heard the the normal controllers are as good if not better than the Wheel controller.

As regards Resident Evil games, iv completed all the PS1 and PS2 versions, does the Wii bring something new, are they now first person shooters or is just the same gameplay as Re4...

My girlfriend is gettin the Smyths Wii package for Xmas, can I be certain that she doesnt have mario kart. iv also heard the the normal controllers are as good if not better than the Wheel controller.

As regards Resident Evil games, iv completed all the PS1 and PS2 versions, does the Wii bring something new, are they now first person shooters or is just the same gameplay as Re4...

The wheel controllers are just a plastic wheel shell to sit the remote in to, personally I'm not a fan and prefer using the remote and nunchuck instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

There are plenty of remotes and nunchuks on ebay, some better than others. I picked up a remote/ nunchuk delivered to Aus for AUD $27, supposedly Japanese market OEM and work perfectly. Dealextreme also have some good priced accessories with free shipping included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SChemie

For the Amazon deal, all the items qualify for free delivery (to Ireland) if you select Super Saver Delivery during the payment process.

Correction of earlier post: Wii remote cheaper on Amazon.co.uk than Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

SChemie wrote: »
    For the Amazon deal, all the items qualify for free delivery (to Ireland) if you select Super Saver Delivery during the payment process.

Do Amazon send from Jersey like they do their books, as if so, customs would be paid on top of that, as is over the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Hi all,

Gonna get a wii for the parents this christmas (keep them active!) and i want to get wii fit.

The best offer i've seen so far is - This from HMV

Does anyone know of anything better?

Im also going to be buying another controller, motion plus and numchuk so they have one each, probably a charging station and a few of the resort/party games.

Should i buy the wii fit seperately and just look for a console bundle with decent games/accessorys?

Edit: Just found these offers which look pretty good. Do you think Smyths would negotiate on the bundle? E.g. Take out 1 game and a some other stuff for wii fit plus + board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hi all,

Gonna get a wii for the parents this christmas (keep them active!) and i want to get wii fit.

Im also going to be buying another controller, motion plus and numchuk so they have one each, probably a charging station and a few of the resort/party games.

Should i buy the wii fit seperately and just look for a console bundle with decent games/accessorys?

Edit: Just found these offers which look pretty good. Do you think Smyths would negotiate on the bundle? E.g. Take out 1 game and a some other stuff for wii fit plus + board?

I was quoted €279 over the phone from a guy in Harvey Norman in Cork for the following:

Black Wii inc Wii sports & Wii sports resort.
    2 sets of controllers inc 2 numchucks.
    Wii Fit + inc balance board.

Seems very good for €279. I will be going in store this evening to get this. I will update later to make I got my prices right.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Hi all,

I'm in the exact same boat myself, just a note on the Smyths Wii Fit offer.
    It's the original Wii Fit not the newer Wii Fit Plus which I understand has some new/better software

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Seems very good for €279. I will be going in store this evening to get this. I will update later to make I got my prices right.

Were your prices right?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Hi all!

Girlfriend wants a Wii with a fitness game.So I saw a good deal in HMV-black Wii+Wii sports+Sports Resort=€169.99.Seems to be best deal out there at the mo?Maybe I'm wrong?
    I'm also reading that EA Sports Active is a better "fitness game" for adults,bit tougher and better exercises.Its on amazon for £24,€50 in Smyths.Wii fit is €99.99!!!Kinda broke so leaning towards the EA game cos she'll probably get bored with it after 3 weeks........then I'll be using it(to play sports,driving games and shoot em up's of course!!).Appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Were your prices right?!

Sold out in Harvey Norman Cork and may not be back in until after Xmas.
    It was 169 for console including both sports games and 1 controller & 1 numchuck.
    209 for console and 2nd set of controllers
    270 for all above including Wii Fit Plus inc balance board.

Advertisement