Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Immigration!!

Options
  • 20-11-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello, I am an Irish citizen married to an American. We have recently separated though not legally. I am wondering if I am eligible still for a U.S. work permit and if so would I be able to apply for one without involving my spouse? According to the Irish immigration and naturalisation department my wife is welcome to stay in Ireland for as long as she wishes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jupiler wrote: »
    I am wondering if I am eligible still for a U.S. work permit and if so would I be able to apply for one without involving my spouse?
    Although I don't know about your eligibility, I doubt you can apply without involving your spouse. You and your spouse would probably have to attend interviews and the like to ensure that you're on the level. If they heard you were separated, you'd be denied because you're likely to be divorced soon enough after that.
    A quick google shows that in order for your to get a US work permit while you're both resident outside of the US, your spouse has to make the application on your behalf.

She only gets to stay here because she's already here. If the situation was reversed, you would be similarly eligible to remain in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jupiler

Yeah, as i expected, doesn't really seem fair. Not that I really want to go now but things change and it would be good to have before I proceed with any further action. Tx anyway.

Advertisement