Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped frames on a manufactured DVD?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I bought an officially released DVD from a UK licensee and the image is all jittery. I learned a little bit of video editing a few years ago and I'm sure the problem is that in the process of transfering some frames were dropped. It's all over the DVD and not just in one spot. It also isn't the on DVD, it's happened in at least two of them.

The DVDs are made from master tapes that were used VHS releases many years ago and now they're using the same masters for the DVDs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Are you asking a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Eh yeah, sorry :o. Have you ever heard of this happening? Is it likely that the DVD was converted poorly or I just got a dodgy disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Probably just 1 disc. Just return it. If cheap quality DVD's were used then it's likely that happened

[quote=[Deleted User];63188987]The DVD frame rate could be perfect but its the source that was jittery you get me? NTSC dvds played on Pal can look a bit jittery, but if you played an NTSC dvd through a pal and record (this is just an examples) onto a DVD with a pal recorder, the recorded dvd fram rate will be pal but because of the source being jittery the new one will also be jittery even though the fram rate is perfect.

If you re encoded the NTSC dvd to PAL and burned it then the jitters should not still be there.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I kinda get what you're saying.

The thing is though, the company that made this DVD has been a licensee of the same stuff for about 20 years. So they've used the same master tapes to create VHS tapes (Pal of course) and now they're just using them masters for the DVDs. They came in a set, kinda disc 1 and disc 2 and one of them is ok with playback that's just fine and dandy but the other just does not look right at all.

Consequently though I've played NTSC DVDs on my machines before and had no problems. I just don't think the company will do anything for me and to the "untrained" eye perhaps no one would notice. It looks like a piss poor video you see streaming from a website.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Been reading a few sites that I got in a search.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-dropped-frames.htm
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1165
    http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050729_prevent_frame_dropping_during_video_capture.html

"Choppy" video playback is definitely how I'd describe the picture. Hmm... does anyone know how mass produced DVDs are manufactured? Would they make a master DVD copy from their Master tapes and then use that master DVD for the DVDs they sell or would there be different batches from the one master tape each time?

I'm emailing the crowd now about it.

• Advertisement

Contacted the manufacturer and the reply amounted to "we can't see any drop out... the footage is old hence not the best quality". Either the person who read my email is purposefully playing dumb or they've no clue. I specifically stated that the problem would've been in the conversion.

[quote=[Deleted User];63314517]

Dont know too much about mass production DVDs except that they arent burned they are pressed.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, yeah this is what I feared. I'm assuming there'll be a master copy or something made from their "master tape" (they used the same master tape to release their VHS copies years ago).

I don't think ripping it and burning will do anything as it's seems to be a fault in the capturing from master video to DVD copy (or however they do it!). Cheers anyways though.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement