Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth RMAing?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I have a Corsair 750W PSU which just died on me after a year. It costs €100 now, but An Post want €44 for me to send it RMA back to Holland. Anyone know if dabs.ie - who I originally bought it from - should take it back instead and RMA it? Or whether Corsair might refund postage?

€44 - I could fly over, get bombed, hand over the PSU personally, and fly back for that money!

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

By irish law, the company you bought it from have a legal right to repair or replace it for 24 months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I am nearly sure Dabs has a pick up service.

here it is
    "Arranging a Collection: If you're arranging a collection, you can arrange for your goods to be collected by entering your collection address and the number of boxes that are being returned. If you need to add an alternative collection address (your works address perhaps) then this is possible, though we regret this facility is not available when returning your first few orders for security reasons. Note that depending on the reason for return, in some instances you will be responsible for paying the courier costs.

http://www.dabs.ie/articles/help/returns-and-refunds/how-do-i-arrange-for-a-return--2119.html

did it before with a NAS before I found out it was the hd :o

k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Contact Corsair support via there own forums and explain your issue. They may have it collected and save you the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks for the feedback - I've mailed Corsair already but will also try dabs.

Cheers,

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

sh1te, I bought one of those about nine months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CrinkElite wrote: »
    sh1te, I bought one of those about nine months ago.

One failure doesn't mean you'll experiance it too. Like anything that's mass produced there are going to be some that will break. Chances are yours has many more years left in it.

I must be more unlucky than most though - my last two brand-named PSUs failed.

P.

Ok, I checked with Dabs. You can indeed return it to them instead.

However, they don't do collection outside the UK. Instead, you have to send it to their office in Bolton using normal post (checking on dabs.ie, they indeed no longer seem to have an Ireland office).

So, that would still cost me €33 rather than €44 to send directly to the Netherlands. And would probably take a lot longer than mailing it direct to Corsair, since there's 4 journeys involved instead of 2.

So I'll probably stick with Plan A. I'll mail them to confirm they indeed have no office here and won't collect.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I must be more unlucky than most though - my last two brand-named PSUs failed.

P.

Wow that is unlucky. Do you use a surge protector? are the wattages up to the job.

your not using a usb large plasma accelerator are you?

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Wow that is unlucky. Do you use a surge protector? are the wattages up to the job.

Yup, use a surge protector. According to Corsair's PSU calculator, even a 450W PSU should be fine for my system, and mine was 750W.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
    your not using a usb large plasma accelerator are you?

That sounds like a Terminator quote. :) Nope, don't use one...

P.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »

That sounds like a Terminator quote. :) Nope, don't use one...

P.

David Barben's "Frontier Elite" actually, you could wipe out entire police forces with one of those babies. :D

Just to note that all ended well. dabs did indeed offer a collection service here; picked up the PSU from my work place for free last Thursday, I got a replacement today. So big up to dabs there.

P.

Thanks for the update.

Advertisement