Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keanes Comments, [Mod Warning Post #146]

• 20-11-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

Was it really necessary for him to make these comments or does he find the temptation to take a shot at the FAI too hard to resist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Was it necessary for this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

what did he say havent heard what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He had a lot of success as a player. But, I think at this stage of his career he's playing that up too much. There was no need to have a go at the FAI, however incompetent they were at that time they were reflecting the wishes of a lot of people here in asking for a replay.

If he could direct some of the energy he keeps for being bitter I'm sure he'd make a better manager of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Was it necessary for you to try and ruin a thread with the first post???

And in a way i think it was necessary, we were cheated and nothings gona happen unfortunately end of, Keane is trying to bring the whole argument back to earth and is being realistic, as much as we would all love a replay its not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

From Sky Sports website:

Roy Keane has issued a typically bullish retort to those who feel Republic of Ireland deserve a replay following their controversial World Cup play-off defeat to France.
    Fifa have ruled against the Football Association of Ireland's appeal to have Wednesday's second leg in Paris replayed on the grounds France's equaliser on the night, which sent them through 2-1 on aggregate, came via a clear handball from Thierry Henryspacer.gif before he set up William Gallas.spacer.gif
    Keane,spacer.gif never a man to mince his words, has precious little sympathy as feels Ireland have only themselves to blame for missed opportunities over the two games. The FAI, and in particular chief executive John Delaney,spacer.gif remain personae non gratae in Keane's eyes.
    "I've been amazed by the commotion over the past few days. I think of course Henry handled it but I'd focus on why they didn't clear it," Keane told Sky Sports News.
    "I'd be more annoyed with my goalkeeper and defenders than Thierry Henry. How can you let a ball bounce in the six yard box? How can you let Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball bounces in the six yard bounce I'd be saying 'where the hell is my goalkeeper?'"
    Asked whether he had sympathy for Ireland's players he said: "No. Not one bit.
    "You look over the course of the campaign and Ireland had the chances of over the two games, they never took them.
    "They never performed in the first game. I heard a few interviews after the game where the manager said that none of the players got booked. Maybe that was the problem. They stood off France, the second leg we had opportunities to score but didn't take them.
    "They weren't mentally strong enough. All these players can complain all they want. France are going to the World Cupspacer.gif - get over it."
    Run-ins

Keane, who throughout his playing days with the national side had numerous run-ins with the FAI, has been forthright again in his criticism of the organisation.
    "Usual FAI reaction: 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...'
    "In one of the earlier group games, I think it was against Georgia, Ireland got a penalty. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. It changed the course of the game. Robbie (Keane) scored a penalty and Ireland went on to win it. I don't remember the FAI after the game saying 'I think we should give them a replay'."
    Keane continued his withered tirade by pinpointing FAI chief Delaney as being a figure who deserves only disdain. The Ipswich boss fell out with Delaney after he decided to quit Ireland's World Cup campaign in 2002 following a bust-up with then manager Mick McCarthy.spacer.gif
    "John Delaney? He's on about honesty and integrity. I wouldn't take any notice of that man.
    "People forget the last time I was at the World Cup in 2002. People seem to forget what was going on at that World Cup. I was one of the players, he didn't have the courtesy to ring me. He got interviewed and all he said was 'I don't know where he is'.
    "I'd been with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't even have the decency to ring me. He could have phoned me, tried the hotel room.
    Honesty

"And he's on about the honesty of the game."
    The failure of the match officials to spot Henry's handball has led to renewed calls for video technology to be introduced but while agreeing with the idea in principle, Keane is loath to join those campaigning for a replay.
    "They should have cleared it, they should have cleared the ball. Where were the defenders? The ball bounced in the six-yard box.
    "We've had this discussion before, we all agree with that. There is no getting away from it, but this idea that Ireland were robbed and deserved a replay, no.
    "I think the Irish supporters probably deserve better, the manager, probably most of the players deserve it.
    "But I don't think the FAI deserve better. What goes around comes around."
    Keane concluded by offering his support to Henry, with the outspoken Irishman of the opinion there are far worse perpetrators of cheating in the game than the Frenchman.
    "I think it was instinctive. I think sometimes you go for the ball, stick your hand out, leg, whatever it might be. Would I call him a cheat? No, I don't think so. I think he bent the rules but we are seeing cheating in games all the time, players diving.
    "When I'm asked about it, I say the game is full of it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Bitter bitter little man- the less attention his bearded bobble head gets the better. I wonder how he even gets past the mirror in the hall most mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It didnt stop you posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Sad petty little man. The cheek for him to claim any sort of high ground after the way he's behaved his whole career is just laughable. Utterly pathetic.

Why should Delaney of rang him like? What age was he at the time ffs? Delaney would of got nothing other than dogs abuse were he to ring him. Ask Dwight Yorke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sad decline of the man.

On the otherhand, and whilst it won't get us in the WC, it was very nice to hear what Henry said earlier.

Like I said, it doesn't solve the main problem but it definitely eases the pain slightly to see him take the approach he has rather than do something stubborn like deny there was a handball.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Was it necessary for you to try and ruin a thread with the first post???

And in a way i think it was necessary, we were cheated and nothings gona happen unfortunately end of, Keane is trying to bring the whole argument back to earth and is being realistic, as much as we would all love a replay its not going to happen.

If that's what he meant he expressed it very poorly.

It appeared that he wanted to take a pop and came across as very bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Bitter bitter little man- the less attention his bearded bobble head gets the better. I wonder how he even gets past the mirror in the hall most mornings.

Agreed, great player, total w***ker.

And he even had the cheek to question where Shay Given was even with two hours of straight football under their belts.

Where was he for Saipan? Up his own a*se is where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

let the Keane bashing begin:(

orourkeda wrote: »
    It didnt stop you posting here.

Yes because I'm sick of all these bullshit threads and I wanted to make my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't like Roy Keane. Obviously.

But I don't see anything wrong with what he said, he's not the classiest of bloke & we know he has a big mouth, so it ain't surprising & more importantly, it was true.

noodler wrote: »
    Sad decline of the man.

On the otherhand, and whilst it won't get us in the WC, it was very nice to hear what Henry said earlier.

Like I said, it doesn't solve the main problem but it definitely eases the pain slightly to see him take the approach he has rather than do something stubborn like deny there was a handball.

I feel that Thierry Henry only did this because the reaction was so severe. It seems obvious that he did this deliberately but didnt expect the backlash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No need for what he said today, if he has a grudge with the FAI take it up with them, slating the team is a bit hypocritical of him,

If Ipswich were denied a playoff spot or got relegated because of the exact same decision i'm sure he'd get over it fairly quick.

Stuck at Ipswich he is out of the limelight, his last chance with a big club and he is making a mess of it, he is wanting some more media limelight before he dissapears into nothingness.

The cheek of him saying the guys should have got stuck in more in the 1st leg, maybe got some yellow cards,

and as for "the usual stuff, boring boring boring"

Same can be said for you Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kida wrote: »
    let the Keane bashing begin:(

Not from me - you have to admire his integrity - he just doesn't care that his statement will annoy virtually the whole Irish population. It's what he believes and he says it

I feel that Thierry Henry only did this because the reaction was so severe. It seems obvious that he did this deliberately but didnt expect the backlash.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yes because I'm sick of all these bullshit threads and I wanted to make my point.

No one is forcing you to read these threads, I have no idea why people open threads they have no interest in reading? Seems fairly retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hard to argue with anything Keane said.

He's 100& correct.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I don't like Roy Keane. Obviously.

But I don't see anything wrong with what he said, he's not the classiest of bloke & we know he has a big mouth, so it ain't surprising & more importantly, it was true.

So it was all Shay Givens fault?

Saipan happened 7 years ago and has nothing to do with Thierry Henry handling a ball.

This was Roy Keane taking potshots again. Maybe he should get his own house in order before criticising everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't see any problem with what he has said. McShane should have gotten rid, if that happens then there is no problem.

Also, it's ironic that when a manager speaks his mind instead of spouting the old clichés and rhetoric, that he gets lambasted - when the same people who bash him are probably the same ones that want managers to say what they think.

And then people call Henry a classy individual because he came out and said we deserve a replay (after FIFA said there is no way). :rolleyes: People need to wise up.

greendom wrote: »
    Not from me - you have to admire his integrity - he just doesn't care that his statement will annoy virtually the whole Irish population. It's what he believes and he says it

Integrity = Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

Find one word in this definition that applies to Roy Keane.

So it was all Shay Givens fault?

show me where Keane said that?

i believe his comment was about the defence & goalkeeper who should have done better with the whole incident (Dunne, Mc Shane & Given). i said the same at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So is Jack Charlton a bitter bitter little man for sayign much the same thing too? Or is this just more anti-Keane rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What Roy Keane cares about is the fact that Irish football is making headlines all over the world and no-one has mentioned him yet :eek::eek::eek:

Time to rectify Roy, well done.

Don't see any problem with what he has said. McShane should have gotten rid, if that happens then there is no problem.

Also, it's ironic that when a manager speaks his mind instead of spouting the old clichés and rhetoric, that he gets lambasted - when the same people who bash him are probably the same ones that want managers to say what they think.

And then people call Henry a classy individual because he came out and said we deserve a replay (after FIFA said there is no way). :rolleyes: People need to wise up.

The ball was going over the line until Thierry Henry stopped it with his hand.

To blame Paul McShane for this is quite clearly a ridiculous statement

No one is forcing you to read these threads, I have no idea why people open threads they have no interest in reading? Seems fairly retarded.

I'll tell you what's retarded. The soccer forum is getting filled with nonsense like this and it's getting ridiculous. There's already more than enough threads about France-Ireland discussions. This is clearly another one. Should we open a new thread everytime some gobshite comments on the match? "Liam Brady's comments", "Tony Cascarianos comments", "Thierry Henry's Comments" ad nauseum...

show me where Keane said that?

i believe his comment was about the defence & goalkeeper who should have done better with the whole incident (Dunne, Mc Shane & Given). i said the same at the time.

I honestly don't feel it is relevant to the discussion on the incident though.

Should France not be out of the World Cup by virtue of the fact we were able to create chances against them on that logic?

Where were their defenders etc?

McShane should have done better for certain but you do not get a free pass to cheat when the opposition marking gets a little slack.

• Advertisement

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he had any class he would never had handled the ball in the first place. The fact that he issued a half hearted mickey mouse apology doesnt change anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Discuss the topic or don't post.

If you have a problem then report a post or head on over to Feedback.

Any more off topic posting will be punished.

His point was that any ball that comes into the box shouldn't be allowed just bounce without anyone attacking it. My first reaction to the goal was "why wasn't that ball headed straight out. Defend it properly."

That's an aside from the Henry part which of course helped too.

I'll tell you what's retarded. The soccer forum is getting filled with nonsense like this and it's getting ridiculous. There's already more than enough threads about France-Ireland discussions. This is clearly another one. Should we open a new thread everytime some gobshite comments on the match? "Liam Brady's comments", "Tony Cascarianos comments", "Thierry Henry's Comments" ad nauseum...

Youve gotten yourself into an argument that you could have avoided if you had stayed out of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

the ball shouldnt have got to henry in the first place. it did they scored. handball yeah. bad officials yeah. but it was bad defending from a needless free kick.

keane is a clown no doubt, he spends more time giving out than the talking heads he despises. but this replay stuff is a bit embarrassing. we lost. we should have won but we lost. it happens.

His point was that any ball that comes into the box shouldn't be allowed just bounce without anyone attacking it. My first reaction to the goal was "why wasn't that ball headed straight out. Defend it properly."

That's an aside from the Henry part which of course helped too.

It was impossible for Thierry Henry to control that ball without handling it.

It simply could not have happened. Paul McShane was simply playing the percentages. From what I can see he made a good decision to let the ball go. The ball quite clearly was going to run to safety until Mr Henry dragged it back with his hand.

It would be interesting to see if Roy Keane blames Paul McShane for the offside too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

There is a lot of truth in what he says. I would take issue with him on the cheating thing, the game is rife with it, but that doesn,t exonerate Henry, he still cheated.
    The rest is straight up honest comment , a man speaking his mind and fair play to him , I would have a lot more respect for him than for the crying politicians trying to curry favour with yhe people by protesting to Sarkosy etc. How pathetic is that!!!
    We lost a match , unfairly as it turns out, get over it. Worse things will happen. Its not the greatest injustice in the history of mankind.

It was impossible for Thierry Henry to control that ball without handling it.

It simply could not have happened. Paul McShane was simply playing the percentages. From what I can see he made a good decision to let the ball go. The ball quite clearly was going to run to safety until Mr Henry dragged it back with his hand.

It would be interesting to see if Roy Keane blames Paul McShane for the offside too.

You do not, when 1-1 in a World Cup playoff, play the percentages game. You get rid. If it means giving away a corner, you do it. You get anything you can on the ball. Whether it was McShane or anyone else makes no difference. We were too hesitant to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness to Keane, he didn't just go to Sky and say these things. He was at a usual Ipswich press conference and was asked for his opinion on it.

Integrity = Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

Find one word in this definition that applies to Roy Keane.

Absolutely, I don't particularly like him but he sticks to his principles and beliefs - he doesn't pander to the public or press and displays great honesty in doing so.

I honestly don't feel it is relevant to the discussion on the incident though.

Its more relevant than marches demanding a replay etc. thats all Roy was saying.

Roy has more right to talk about the poor defending than people like Brian Cowen & Dermott Ahern do talking about demanding a replay like a pack of spoilt babies.

The irish management & team know incidents like Henrys one happen all the time in football, its a horrible truth, but a truth none the less.

there should be an outcry about the state of football officiating in general, not just this one incident because it happens to have stopped us getting to a peno shootout.

people pretending to be morally outraged by the principle of the thing are liars & are just crying over spilt milk.

the truth is the irish public (and indeed Roy Keane)is missing a HUGE opportunity here to talk about what's really important, the introduction of technology. Instead they are muddying the waters talking ****e about EU directives, past cases where FIFA have set a precedent, replays, banning Henry and other such absolute horse****.

• Advertisement

If he had any class he would never had handled the ball in the first place. The fact that he issued a half hearted mickey mouse apology doesnt change anything.

Well he can't change what's done now can he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

In fairness to Keane, he didn't just go to Sky and say these things. He was at a usual Ipswich press conference and was asked for his opinion on it.

in fairness :rolleyes:

why is he even talking about it in a Ipswich press conference, he should ****ing worry about his own house.

did he ever hear of No Comment

Its more relevant than marches demanding a replay etc. thats all Roy was saying.

Roy has more right to talk about the poor defending than people like Brian Cowen & Dermott Ahern do talking about demanding a replay like a pack of spoilt babies.

The irish management & team know incidents like Henrys one happen all the time in football, its a horrible truth, but a truth none the less.

there should be an outcry about the state of football officiating in general, not just this one incident because it happens to have stopped us getting to a peno shootout.

people pretending to be morally outraged by the principle of the thing are liars & are just crying over spilt milk.

the truth is the irish public (and indeed Roy Keane)is missing a HUGE opportunity here to talk about what's really important, the introduction of technology. Instead they are muddying the waters talking ****e about EU directives, past cases where FIFA have set a precedent, replays, banning Henry and other such absolute horse****.

Strangely enough, I think this may be one of the first times I've ever agreed with you Mr. Alan!

It's done, there will be no replay etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

People are obsessed with what Keane says for some reason. But he did say "what goes around comes around"? Cork is under 6 foot of water*, and Ipswich have 1 win in 16 games so maybe Keane did something bad in the past.
    Have to agree with his Delaney comments though.

*no offence meant if you're currently living in those flooded areas

Headshot wrote: »
    in fairness :rolleyes:

why is he even talking about it in a Ipswich press conference, he should ****ing worry about his own house.

did he ever hear of No Comment

Because he doesn't like sidestepping questions put to him- possibly because he has a personality and isn't just another bland rhetoric spouting manager?

If everyone said the same thing to every question we'd get nowhere in life.

Amazing that you somehow think the two are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Because he doesn't like sidestepping questions put to him- possibly because he has a personality and isn't just another bland rhetoric spouting manager?

please

nothing to do with bitter and vindictive personality

so if your a ipswich fan and you see roy talking about other teams instead of his own team what would you think ?

That brave solider Roy, not sidestepping the issue. Instead deciding to take 7 years of hate out on the Irish team, association and fans to be brutally honest.

Amazing that you somehow think the two are mutually exclusive.

do you really think, for the first time in the modern history of fifa, that we should replay a match because the ref/linesman didn't see something?

or do you just think Ireland should be allowed go to the world cup, cause you're Irish, and we deserved to win the other night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw his itnerview on BBC website.

For the first time ever I completely agree with Keane, and he is 100% spot on

• Advertisement
Advertisement