Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keanes Comments, [Mod Warning Post #146]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Just watched the interview.

He was an unhappy man. I was stunned watching it to be honest.

I agree the ball should of been cleared but It wasn't, the hand ball shouldn't of happened but it did, not clearing the ball doesn't excuse the hand ball, he is being a bit OTT about it.

To say the players were afraid to take the next step is uncalled for. They put everything into that game trying to take the next "step".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I know he does. It's obvious that he's still bitter, though.

Yes, he is. It's not a god damn crime. Let the man have his own opinions about certain people. Nearly everybody on this board has expressed the opinion that Delaney is a right cabbage (and I only refrain from using stronger language because my ibra loving will only get me so far with EzE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Yes, he is. It's not a god damn crime. Let the man have his own opinions about certain people. Nearly everybody on this board has expressed the opinion that Delaney is a right cabbage (and I only refrain from using stronger language because my ibra loving will only get me so far with EzE)

Its not a crime, but he looked ridiculous when he was saying it for the umpteenth time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Just seen the interview. How embarassing for the guy. You'd really feel sorry for him at this stage. One of the games all time greats reduced to looking like a buffoon.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

You see the problem I have with his comments is that he reeks of having a hidden agenda. I mean, alot of what he says are valid points, but he just comes across as a bitter and resentful man. He'll make a statement that people will agree with, but then adds on something that just makes him look petty (like telling people to 'get over it'). He just comes off as someone that is delighted that he can get some cheap digs in against the FAI, without particularly caring for the result on Wednesday night.

As somebody previously said, his ability to hold a grudge, be unbelievably bitter, and incredibly stubborn will eventually be his downfall as a manager. The one thing about managing is that people skills come to the fore, you need to be able to forgive egotistical players, and keep them 'on your side' at the same time. It's all well and good being a no nonsense stubborn football player, but if he doesn't learn to give people a bit of leverage / a second chance then he will ultimately fail in his managerial pursuits.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    (my ibra loving will only get me so far with EzE)

Ibra love conquers all. ;)

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    You see the problem I have his comments is that he has a hidden agenda. I mean, alot of what he says are valid points, but he just comes across as a bitter and resentful man. He'll make a statement that people will agree with, but then adds on something that just makes him look petty (like telling people to 'get over it'). He just comes off as someone that is delighted that he can get some cheap digs in against the FAI, without particularly caring for the result on Wednesday night.

As somebody previously said, his ability to hold a grudge, be unbelievably bitter, and incredibly stubborn will eventually be his downfall as a manager. The one thing about managing is that people skills come to the fore, you need to be able to forgive egotistical players, and keep them 'on your side' at the same time. It's all well and good being a no nonsense stubborn football player, but if he doesn't learn to give people a bit of leverage / a second chance then he will ultimately fail in his managerial pursuits.

Ibra love conquers all. ;)

Agree with everything here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I thought it strange that he kept referring to Given as ''the goalkeeper'', instead of by his name, when having a go at him.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I thought it strange that he kept referring to Given as ''the goalkeeper'', instead of by his name, when having a go at him.

I'd say that was for the benefit of some of the foreign media??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I'm a Roy Keane fan and have always been impressed by the way he speaks his mind. However I'm not impressed by his comments at all. Saipan was seven years ago and I thought it was water under the bridge - not for Roy the boy though.

I also think people are being unfair on McShane. If you have a look at the footage again you'll see that the height the ball was at, along with the way he was facing he could not have headed that ball without the possibility of heading it into his own net. As other posters have said, he was playing the percentage game and correctly concluded that the ball was heading over the end line. One cannot legislate for someone practically catching the ball to stop it going out of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

He may have had some valid points re the defense of the free kick but dragging up Saipan yet again is petty. Get over it Roy.

• Advertisement

DigiJem wrote: »
    He may have had some valid points re the defense of the free kick but dragging up Saipan yet again is petty. Get over it Roy.

The guy obviously hasn't got the capacity to do so!?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The players the other night made me far,far prouder than Roy Keane ever did.

So he can stick his criticism up his arse, because he achieved nothing with Ireland and yet some people wait on his every word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think Keane was very much out of order! His pop at the players was unjustified IMO and bringing up Saipan AGAIN!!! he really needs to move on! In fairness if it had been his team on the receiving end Id say his statement would be very different! Having a go at shay and reffering to him as "the goalkeeper" was disrespectfull too.

This coming from a guy whos team can win a match like! he'd want to take a look at his own team first!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I think Keane was very much out of order! His pop at the players was unjustified IMO and bringing up Saipan AGAIN!!! he really needs to move on! In fairness if it had been his team on the receiving end Id say his statement would be very different! Having a go at shay and reffering to him as "the goalkeeper" was disrespectfull too.

This coming from a guy whos team can't win a match like! he'd want to take a look at his own team first!

Agree totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

DB10 wrote: »
    The players the other night made me far,far prouder than Roy Keane ever did.
    That's your opinion and valid to you i suppose.

So he can stick his criticism up his arse,
    Your opinion again which may be valid ,if justified.

because he achieved nothing with Ireland

This, this is were your opinion on your other points loses all credibility.You have just shown yourself to be a bitter person with no knowledge of irish football if the last quote is your honest opinion.

So which is it ? :confused:

Like you would admit to that , eh ? :rolleyes:

d22ontour wrote: »
    That's your opinion and valid to you i suppose.

Your opinion again which may be valid ,if justified.

This, this is were your opinion on your other points loses all credibility.You have just shown yourself to be a bitter person with no knowledge of irish football if the last quote is your honest opinion.

So which is it ? :confused:

Like you would admit to that , eh ? :rolleyes:

TBF, I think that this poster meant that Keane didn't win anything during his time with Ireland. Which is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Roy Keane has gone up in my book, great stuff, loved when the phone went off, :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Mental Mickey, thanks for correcting me! Im so mad I keep making mistakes when I type! LOL!!!

I have to say I never really liked Keane. I always felt he had a bit of an attitude problem. He talks down to a lot of people and seems to think that he knows it all.

I liked him as a player, but as a person he comes across as a total git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Headshot wrote: »
    in fairness :rolleyes:

why is he even talking about it in a Ipswich press conference, he should ****ing worry about his own house.

did he ever hear of No Comment

Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson and Harry Rednapp have also commented :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I never liked him as a player, he was a bully and I will never forget what he did to Haaland. Disgusting act.

He is an even worse person.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

lol at the number of times Ipswich's poor form has been mentioned in this thread as if it somehow diminishes what Keane was saying.

If poor performance in your current occupation precludes you from having a valid opinion on the subject we should tell the embarassing Brian Cowan and his cronies to STFU .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JP Liz wrote: »

ya those managers are flying high not at the bottom of the coca cola league
    and im pretty sure their houses are in order

nice try thou

TBF, I think that this poster meant that Keane didn't win anything during his time with Ireland. Which is correct.
    Exactly. Dontour or whatever your name is, why should I explain anything?
    Keane won nothing as a player with Ireland and yet he is treated as some sort of God by people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

And Mick McCarthy also spoke about it, actually anyone have a link to Micks press conference, that was also quite funny when he started asking for a whole load of games to be replayed.

Is there any chance of all these threads about the match being merged into one giant megathread?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

nice try thou

Where is the cut -off point for being allowed to comment? Top half of PL? Playoff position in coca-cola? What a nonsensical comment.
    Hope Steve Staunton doesn't get asked about it:rolleyes:

Correct ? The expectations when Keane played were to win things ? You know quite well it is a bitter rant which shows the poster up as for what he is. Conclusion , like you need a hint , eh ? Almost every point Keane made is spot on and when Irish/Liverpool fans realise/post that without the bittermuch glasses on/off you kinda know what he said holds some truths.

So what should we have won with Keane playing ?

You know quite well what his bitterness is aimed at ijs.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

destroyer wrote: »
    lol at the number of times Ipswich's poor form has been mentioned in this thread as if it somehow diminishes what Keane was saying.

If poor performance in your current occupation precludes you from having a valid opinion on the subject we should tell the embarassing Brian Cowan and his cronies to STFU .:D

A very valid point, i reckon that protest tomorrow should detour to Cowens house!

• Advertisement

destroyer wrote: »
    Where is the cut -off point for being allowed to comment? Top half of PL? Playoff position in coca-cola? What a nonsensical comment.
    Hope Steve Staunton doesn't get asked about it:rolleyes:

"I'm NOT the gaffer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

nice try thou

So only managers in the PL can comment on this :rolleyes:

At least Keane played for Ireland in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Exactly. Dontour or whatever your name is, why should I explain anything?
    Keane won nothing as a player with Ireland and yet he is treated as some sort of God by people like you.

Realistically, what could he ever win with Ireland? The US Cup maybe!
    The fact is he won the following in his career:

Manchester United

* Premier League (7): 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
    * FA Cup (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004
    * FA Community Shield (4): 1993, 1996, 1997, 2003
    * UEFA Champions League: 1999
    * Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Celtic

* Scottish Premier League: 2006
    * Scottish League Cup: 2006

Individual

* FWA Footballer of the Year: 2000
    * PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2000
    * English Football Hall of Fame: 2004
    * FIFA 100

Thats means, in footballing terms, fans have the right to treat him like a God!

But his comments today do tarnish him. His bitterness is boundless and he has become a parody of himself at this stage.

Agricola wrote: »

Manchester United

Celtic

Individual

* FIFA 100

But his comments today do tarnish him. His bitterness is boundless and he has become a parody of himself at this stage.

He's tarnished himself since Saipan.

Agricola wrote: »

Manchester United

Celtic

Individual

* FIFA 100

Why should people treat him as a God? Its a sorry state of affairs when its at the stage people will agree with whatever he says because he is Roy Keane.

I'd say alot of the people who defend him are one of the many thousands of United fans who dominate in this country.

I personally will take him for what he really is.

So only managers in the PL can comment on this :rolleyes:

At least Keane played for Ireland in the past

the most bitter man around, a guy just wont build a bridge

your team is in relegation trouble 1 win in 16 games and your manager starts raving about another team instead incouraging Ipswich fans to get behind their team and the players to get the results need to get out of relegation.

he is a selfish man
    he used that press conference to get one over on the FAI and the irish players and to me if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all

• Advertisement

Why should people treat him as a God?

Seriously , that is just pathetic and you know it , you want to portray him as some sort of messiah ?

Its a sorry state of affairs when its at the stage people will agree with whatever he says

Most of what he said was true though.

because he is Roy Keane.
    One day you will realise that people who speak the truth ,mostly, hold sway over people who talk ****é.
    I'd say alot of the people who defend him are one of the many thousands of United fans who dominate in this country.

So when Liverpool fans post in this thread saying he was correct in what he said kinda leaves your baseless presumption,where exactly ?
    Which is ?

Ya know it's one thing to hate him because he played for United as many thousands of Liverpool fans who dominate this country do, but to ridicule many decent points he made as such kinda makes you a fool.

Last line was an ironic retort to the quoted comment , as i respect many liverpool fans opinions on this forum , not all but , some ...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Why should people treat him as a God? Its a sorry state of affairs when its at the stage people will agree with whatever he says because he is Roy Keane.

Well I didnt say I personally agree with everything he says or treat him like a God. But his achievements give his words alot of weight. When he speaks about things objectively hes usually on the money. He says what needs to be said and takes no prisoners. It worked well for him for 12 odd years at Man Utd. Less so as a manager.

I said on another thread that i supported him in Saipan. But today was a joke. Its was completely out of order and just goes to show how bitter and twisted he has become about the whole Ireland setup. Hes the most famous Irish International of the last 15 odd years. It would have been nice if he had come out and said what Henry did was cheating and something should be done about it. But turning the tables and blaming the FAI and our lads was just incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Absolutely nothing wrong in what Keane said, he is asked questions by headline hunting journalists and he answered, of course its gonna ruffle some feathers, what else would you expect?

But where is what he said inaccurate?

Just another excuse to bash Roy Keane, the irony of those calling him a sad petty little man is amusing

kryogen wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong in what Keane said, he is asked questions by headline hunting journalists and he answered, of course its gonna ruffle some feathers, what else would you expect?

Just another excuse to bash Roy Keane, the irony of those calling him a sad petty little man is amusing

Nothing wrong with what he said, but the fact that he dragged up 7/8 year old *****, and then preceeded to bash the team that he once represented with "pride" was bang out of order.

also bashing shay

do you honestly think he was right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

He said Henry bent the rules....:confused:
    I dont think the laws of the game say a handball is acceptable rule-bending.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Seriously , that is just pathetic and you know it , you want to portray him as some sort of messiah ?

Most of what he said was true though.

One day you will realise that people who speak the truth ,mostly, hold sway over people who talk ****é.

So when Liverpool fans post in this thread saying he was correct in what he said kinda leaves your baseless presumption,where exactly ?

Which is ?

Ya know it's one thing to hate him because he played for United as many thousands of Liverpool fans who dominate this country do, but to ridicule many decent points he made as such kinda makes you a fool.

Last line was an ironic retort to the quoted comment , as i respect many liverpool fans opinions on this forum , not all but , some ...

;)

:rolleyes:
    Learn the charter rules please and keep the insults out.

The facts are Keane is as usual being a hypocrite, criticising the players for one of the best performances in Irish history and blaming the FAI for not getting over it while crying about Saipan in the same sentence.

The man is a running joke and a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

"They weren't mentally strong enough. All these players can complain all they want. France are going to the World Cup - get over it." - Roy Keane

Keane's inability to understand honest effort that doesn't result in victory is an amazingly warped view of sport.

His dismissal of the Irish players' efforts and performance the other night as ''not mentally strong enough'' is utterly devoid of class and betrays his major personallity defects.

He was a fantastic player but it's now clear to me that as a person he is worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

He's tarnished himself since Saipan.

Just like the hand baller :D ya know ? that french dude :rolleyes:

I will say one thing in defence of Roy Keane:

He certainly knows how to deflect criticism of how badly Ipswich are doing at the moment. Kudos to him for that.

Pity he couldn't do it in a classier way,though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Do you know what..... I've just seen Roy's interview on Sky Sports and TBH I'don't disagree with a word he's said (however personal he's made it).

Stargate wrote: »
    Just like the hand baller :D ya know ? that french dude :rolleyes:

Who? Terry Henry??? LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he doesnt mince words, i have no problem with what he said

He brought up Saipan in relation to John Delaney, it would be his freshest memory of dealings with him so not out of order imo

He questioned Shay, and whats wrong with that? would you not expect your goalkeeper to deal with a ball coming into the 6 yard box? i blame McShane primarily, but Given has to shoulder some blame also

If he said Henry bent the rules, then i disagree with that, but meh..... doesnt mean he is wrong in what his overall message is

The team had a great chance to win that game, they missed too many chances, they are out, end of story, i hate that the FAI have applied to get a re match, ffs we dont want charity from FIFA and certainly not pity

The reaction of alot of people is typical of Irish football fans, the performace was very good, the best of this camaign certainly, but we didnt convert that into a victory so it was basically all for nothing. Whatever way you dress it up, we were not good enough to finish France when they were not at their best.

I say again, what Keane said was accurate, if you have a problem with it, thats ok too but is there always a need to attack the man when he answers questions?

If he is such a disgrace in some peoples eyes then why let him bother you? why take the time to post about him. just ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

He brought up Saipan in relation to John Delaney, it would be his freshest memory of dealings with him so not out of order imo

He questioned Shay, and whats wrong with that? would you not expect your goalkeeper to deal with a ball coming into the 6 yard box? i blame McShane primarily, but Given has to shoulder some blame also

If he said Henry bent the rules, then i disagree with that, but meh..... doesnt mean he is wrong in what his overall message is

The team had a great chance to win that game, they missed too many chances, they are out, end of story, i hate that the FAI have applied to get a re match, ffs we dont want charity from FIFA and certainly not pity

The reaction of alot of people is typical of Irish football fans, the performace was very good, the best of this camaign certainly, but we didnt convert that into a victory so it was basically all for nothing. Whatever way you dress it up, we were not good enough to finish France when they were not at their best.

I say again, what Keane said was accurate, if you have a problem with it, thats ok too but is there always a need to attack the man when he answers questions?

If he is such a disgrace in some peoples eyes then why let him bother you? why take the time to post about him. just ignore it

Keane was fantastic player no doubt. But how anyone can support his blinkered righteousness on this issue is beyond me.
    He's all about the wrongs of the FAI the wrongs of the defenders the wrong doing of Shay Given, why stop when it comes to Henry?
    Handling the ball is against the rules!
    Breaking the Laws of the game is Wrong!
    Why oh why do some people react to that with 'meh' - In that case f the rule book out the window.
    I cannot support his comments if he is selective about what is right because of his agenda against the FAI, his judgement is clouded.
    It bothers me because when something is so blatantly wrong I cannot just say 'meh' and ignore it.

The fact that the rest of the bloody country as forgotten about it makes him look like a fool imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement