Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keanes Comments, [Mod Warning Post #146]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

johngalway wrote: »
    He had a lot of success as a player. But, I think at this stage of his career he's playing that up too much. There was no need to have a go at the FAI, however incompetent they were at that time they were reflecting the wishes of a lot of people here in asking for a replay.

If he could direct some of the energy he keeps for being bitter I'm sure he'd make a better manager of himself.
    Yes, I agree. And tbh, he should be on the FAI's side this time to get a rematch. He's holding his own personal grudges to heart more than national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

OMG!!!! Hello! Ireland didnt loose because they missed their chances! they lost because the frence scored a goal from a hand ball that was played on from an offside!!!!!
    We lost because the officials messed up! not because we didnt take our chances. Missing chances isnt breaking the rules! handball and offside is!!!!
    If france had not scored from the Handball, then the match probably would have ended up with either ireland getting another goal or going to penalties at least. Or maybe france would have scored.who knows??? we will never know now!

The irish team played very well and this "Well if they had taken their chances" guff is really ticking me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Roy Keane wrote:
    France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

I usually have a lot of respect for Roy Keane, but this was way, way out of order. I think its a little ironic he said "get over it", after going on a Saipan related rant about John Delaney. Perhaps Keano should take his own advice for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

SarahBM wrote: »
    OMG!!!! Hello! Ireland didnt loose because they missed their chances! they lost because the frence scored a goal from a hand ball that was played on from an offside!!!!!
    We lost because the officials messed up! not because we didnt take our chances. Missing chances isnt breaking the rules! handball and offside is!!!!
    If france had not scored from the Handball, then the match probably would have ended up with either ireland getting another goal or going to penalties at least. Or maybe france would have scored.who knows??? we will never know now!

The irish team played very well and this "Well if they had taken their chances" guff is really ticking me off.

Its true though. We should've scored at least 2 goals....? Forget about that goal for a sec and think about the chances we missed before that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kerash wrote: »
    Keane was fantastic player no doubt. But how anyone can support his blinkered righteousness on this issue is beyond me.
    He's all about the wrongs of the FAI the wrongs of the defenders the wrong doing of Shay Given, why stop when it comes to Henry?
    Handling the ball is against the rules!
    Breaking the Laws of the game is Wrong!
    Why oh why do some people react to that with 'meh' - In that case f the rule book out the window.
    I cannot support his comments if he is selective about what is right because of his agenda against the FAI, his judgement is clouded.
    It bothers me because when something is so blatantly wrong I cannot just say 'meh' and ignore it.

i said, meh, cause i dunno if that what he said exactly, but even if he did say bent instead of broke, does that really matter? does i change the overall message? i said i disagreed with him if thats what he said!! maybe you didnt get that? Henry broke the rules, thats undeniable

regardless of who had said what he said i would support it, its not a personal thing, as i said, if you check the match thread from the game i was of the same opinion that night. I love the fact the Keane can effect so many people like this still! its hilarious

if you dont like him/his opinions/his styke of talking, there is a very easy way to avoid it
    The fact that the rest of the bloody country as forgotten about it makes him look like a fool imo.

You obviously havent forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Keane left his country at a time when he could have made himslef a legend.

He let himself down, as did McCarthy. However, he should butt out of this one. Amazing how some of the sanist posters on this board change their view when Keano weighs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

along with Paul McGrath , he was the greatest player I ever saw play for Ireland - consistently reaching the heights of greatness .

Management is obviously not so successful , somehow i doubt the journalist would be hardy enough to take the piss out of Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I usually have a lot of respect for Roy Keane, but this was way, way out of order. I think its a little ironic he said "get over it", after going on a Saipan related rant about John Delaney. Perhaps Keano should take his own advice for once.

there are many more people, much more respected in football that say a replay is the only fair option, including arsene wenger. it's a wonder no one has asked stephen ireland what he thinks yet. it'll be verbatim of roy's opinion. blaming the fai and shay given for a handball? it's a wonder he didn't blame the freemasons, the royal family and the ancient order of hibernians and the Catholic church also. it was everyone else's fault apart from henry? yeah roy. yeah..

SarahBM wrote: »

What really ticks me off is that people fail to acknowledge that If The Team Had Taken The Chances They Would Not Have Been In That Position

its actually a fact, not guff, unlike some of the crap being spouted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

kryogen wrote: »
    i said, meh, cause i dunno if that what he said exactly, but even if he did say bent instead of broke, does that really matter? does i change the overall message? i said i disagreed with him if thats what he said!! maybe you didnt get that? Henry broke the rules, thats undeniable

regardless of who had said what he said i would support it, its not a personal thing, as i said, if you check the match thread from the game i was of the same opinion that night. I love the fact the Keane can effect so many people like this still! its hilarious

if you dont like him/his opinions/his styke of talking, there is a very easy way to avoid it

Keane is very interesting, I'd say I agree with some of what he says at times but I dont know why he doesn't outright blast henry for breaking the rules but he condones it.
    Yeah I think that changes how seriously one can take his overall message.

there are many more people, much more respected in football that say a replay is the only fair option, including arsene wenger. it's a wonder no one has asked stephen ireland what he thinks yet. it'll be verbatim of roy's opinion. blaming the fai and shay given for a handball? it's a wonder he didn't blame the freemasons, the royal family and the ancient order of hibernians and the Catholic church also. it was everyone else's fault apart from henry? yeah roy. yeah..

yeah cause thats what he was doing, blaming him for the handball..... he certainly wasnt blaming him for not coming off his line to deal with a ball dropping in the 6 yard box......

jesus no keeper should be expected to do that and no way a defender should clear a ball coming into the box like that. ****in hell like, imagine if that happened!

I had actually. Until that guy opened his gob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Het-Field wrote: »
    Keane left his country
    True he was a wanker for what he said but it was proven he was right with what he said.Nobody disputes that or do they ?

at a time when he could have made himslef a legend
    Bitter much , He was a legend when we got to that world cup , anyone who disputes that has not an inkling of football knowledge and is a bitter manc hating fan.

He let himself down
    He let us down tbh.Too many irish fans got caught up in the hating united crapto actually take the whole incident in.
    as did McCarthy.
    Actually you are so wrong here it's kinda funny.Mick got us to the world cup and had nothing to do with the organisantal part of it bar where he would like for a base i presume.

However, he should butt out of this one.

Maybe you don't realise but let me break it down for you, we should have beat France easily in France before this incident occured, infact the game wouldn't have seen extra time if our finishing was better.
    Amazing how some of the sanist posters on this board change their view when Keano weighs in.
    Uhm he is an irish legend, one of the greatest players we have produced, his opinion should be lessened to dunphies ? Eh ?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What really ticks me off is that people fail to acknowledge that If The Team Had Taken The Chances They Would Not Have Been In That Position

its actually a fact, not guff, unlike some of the crap being spouted

I don't think anyone fails to acknowledge that.
    When people somehow excuse the cheating by saying "we should have scored anyway" is what's really annoying though.

If france scored 3 handball goals you'd have people saying "if duffer and keane scored their 1-on-1's and doyle scored that header in the first ireland would have won, so it's irelands fault"? That argument makes no sense to me.

Edit: Can we talk about keanes latest comments, not details about Saipan for the 100000 time?

Keane is very interesting, I'd say I agree with some of what he says at times but I dont know why he doesn't outright blast henry for breaking the rules but he condones it.
    Yeah I think that changes how seriously one can take his overall message.

i wouldnt say he condeoned it, he just said that he would be more upset that his players let it get to that point. it is a fair arguement

I do not condone it either, but i do understand it, i think it has no place in the game of football for the record and would love it if it didnt exist but it does

Richard Dunne has said he probably would have done the same thing, why dont people blast him for "condoning" it

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    When people somehow excuse the cheating by saying "we should have scored anyway" is what's really annoying though.

If france scored 3 handball goals you'd have people saying "if duffer and keane scored their 1-on-1's and doyle scored that header in the first ireland would have won, so it's irelands fault"? That argument makes no sense to me.

Edit: Can we talk about keanes latest comments, not details about Saipan for the 100000 time?

We are. And like it or not, Keane's latest comments included a thinly veiled reference to the Saipan incident when he had a go at the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

yeah cause thats what he was doing, blaming him for the handball..... he certainly wasnt blaming him for not coming off his line to deal with a ball dropping in the 6 yard box......

jesus no keeper should be expected to do that and no way a defender should clear a ball coming into the box like that. ****in hell like, imagine if that happened!

no, mcshane should've dealt with the ball. it shouldn't have come down to given. if you'd read my post you'd see that i didn't mention mcshane's mistake. given has a lot less to answer for, if anything at all.

Quint wrote: »

Eh, im not talking about Saipan

Actually if France ad scored 3 handball goals i dont think you would have people saying anything, i think you would have people burning FIFA headquarters to the ground for match fixing! :D

nobody is excusing the cheat, but you cannot deny that if any of our lads took their chances there never would have been extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a huge Keane fan but I look upon his comments as a way to get back at Given, particularly the jibe about 'where was the goalkeeper'. When Shay reached his 100th cap a few months back he was asked about Keane's comments from two years ago regarding Given wanting to get as many caps as he could. Shay pretty much laughed it off. I think Roy used this incident as a way to have a dig back at Shay and also the likes of Quinn and the FAI who came out against the handball. Basically he used it to have a pop at a few enemies and I was disappointed at that.

no, mcshane should've dealt with the ball. it shouldn't have come down to given. if you'd read my post you'd see that i didn't mention mcshane's mistake. given has a lot less to answer for, if anything at all.

i have said, i blame McShane primarily-getting tired of repeating myself- but if you dont think Given has any blame to shoulder then there really snt much point in discussing it with you any further

Goalkeepers are expected to come and deal with balls into the 6 yard box, if that doesnt register with you then fair enough. but im not gonna go round in circles with you about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

i wouldnt say he condeoned it, he just said that he would be more upset that his players let it get to that point. it is a fair arguement

I do not condone it either, but i do understand it, i think it has no place in the game of football for the record and would love it if it didnt exist but it does

Richard Dunne has said he probably would have done the same thing, why dont people blast him for "condoning" it
    Well maybe condone is the wrong word but he excused Henry for handling the ball.
    Out of interest why do you understand it?
    I'd just like to see more people like yourself acknowledge that it happens and not continue to accept cheating in the game.
    Yep Dunne, Duff they shouldn't accept the actions of Henry, cheating should never be accepted as part of the game and I'd have similar words about those who do seem to excuse it, but this thread is about Roy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

cork ****ebag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think what people mean is that it's not a big thing anymore, most people have forgiven and forgotten whether they blamed the FAI or Keane for his hard-headedness.

The fact Keane still holds a grudge is taking a grudge a tad too far. It's about time he started rallying and stopped trying to get cheap jibes at the FAI about some distant grudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Eh, im not talking about Saipan

Actually if France ad scored 3 handball goals i dont think you would have people saying anything, i think you would have people burning FIFA headquarters to the ground for match fixing! :D

nobody is excusing the cheat, but you cannot deny that if any of our lads took their chances there never would have been extra time

Of course I'm not denying that! Sure I even said it in the last post. It didn't happen, and france didn't score 3 handball goals, so pointless talking about what "could" have happened "if" things went another way.
    BTW, according to Henry, he didn't cheat! How he came up with that one is beyond me.

Well maybe condone is the wrong word but he excused Henry for handling the ball.
    Out of interest why do you understand it?
    I'd just like to see more people like yourself acknowledge that it happens and not continue to accept cheating in the game.
    Yep Dunne, Duff they shouldn't accept the actions of Henry, cheating should never be accepted as part of the game and I'd have similar words about those who do seem to excuse it, but this thread is about Roy.

i understand that Henry wanted to do anything he could to get France through, that he saw an opportunity and in the heat of the moment he grabbed it, so to speak. It was a split second thing, and though the second movement to the ball was deliberate and inexcusable it is surely understandable to people why he did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

if you dont think Given has any blame to shoulder then there really snt much point in discussing it with you any further

Goalkeepers are expected to come and deal with balls into the 6 yard box,
    You're over simplifying the goalie's job and the particular situation tbh and your conclusion is wrong.

Remember the ball had been flicked on (by Squilaci iirc) so if Given had been going to collect it it would have been at that point - ie a totally different area from where it landed. I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the six yard box. Squilaci got his head to it amongst a big crowd of players, it was reasonable for Given to not jump in and get caught there since there were plenty of Irish players to deal with it, so he stayed on his line at that point.

The ball came across to McShane who was BEYOND the post. It would have been impossible for Given to be in position to collect it after the flick on (since it could have gone anywhere) but more importantly it would have been madness of Given to have moved beyond his post to collect a ball that was heading in that direction when the box was so crowded and the ball was being covered by a defender. Given was in no way at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Give it another few weeks (when he gets kicked or walks away from another club)and we will never hear from this sex starved man again,he has to be sexually frustrated.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You're over simplifying the goalie's job and the particular situation tbh and your conclusion is wrong.

Remember the ball had been flicked on (by Squilaci iirc) so if Given had been going to collect it it would have been at that point - ie a totally different area from where it landed. I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the six yard box. Squilaci got his head to it amongst a big crowd of players, it was reasonable for Given to not jump in and get caught there since there were plenty of Irish players to deal with it, so he stayed on his line at that point.

The ball came across to McShane who was BEYOND the post. It would have been impossible for Given to be in position to collect it after the flick on (since it could have gone anywhere) but more importantly it would have been madness of Given to have moved beyond his post to collect a ball that was heading in that direction when the box was so crowded and the ball was being covered by a defender. Given was in no way at fault.

there was no flick on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Imo roy keane was one of the best midfield players i have ever seen, but as a manager he just doesn't cut the mustard. I would say he is in last chance saloon with ipswich. He made some good points in his rant, but he let himself down when you seen his total hatred for every thing to do with the irish national team. I think our roy might be regretting his walk out in saipan, why else start it up again (in roys words GET OVER IT) His total lack of respect for the present squad was a disgrace. Roy your no longer king GET OVER IT.

clickhere wrote: »
    Imo roy keane was one of the best midfield players i have ever seen, but as a manager he just doesn't cut the mustard. I would say he is in last chance saloon with ipswich. He made some good points in his rant, but he let himself down when you seen his total hatred for every thing to do with the irish national team. I think our roy might be regretting his walk out in saipan, why else start it up again (in roys words GET OVER IT) His total lack of respect for the present squad was a disgrace. Roy your no longer king GET OVER IT.

Jesus christ, he did not bring up Saipan to have a whinge, he brought it up to illustrate dishonesty on the part of john Delaney

And he does have a serious dislike for the FAI, but he actually said in that QandA session, that the fans and players deserved better. he has a grudge with the FAI, not the national team. get your facts straight

• Advertisement

Jesus christ, he did not bring up Saipan to have a whinge, he brought it up to illustrate dishonesty on the part of john Delaney

And he does have a serious dislike for the FAI, but he actually said in that QandA session, that the fans and players deserved better. he has a grudge with the FAI, not the national team. get your facts straight
    He said Most of the players

He said Most of the players

i would be quite comfortable with him leaving McShane out of that

just saw who it was, i wont be entering into dialogue with you since your petty opinion of the man has already been reported and isnt worth my time

i would be quite comfortable with him leaving McShane out of that

just saw who it was, i wont be entering into dialogue with you since your petty opinion of the man has already been reported and isnt worth my time

I only posted because you were on about facts

Diddnt our friend roy spend a few million on mcshane. What about his total lack of respect for shay given.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

there was no flick on

I'll have to watch it again tomorrow when i get the chance. The way i remember it Squilaci got a glance on it, or at least got very close to it.

The point still stands about Given being right to not go wide of his post when McShane was under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

i have said, i blame McShane primarily

eeeehhhmmm......who brought McShane to Sunderland? Who put McShane in the fcuking shop window for potential selection?

I think Keane was one of Ireland's greatest players.

However, I'm not really surprised that someone who intentionally went out to wreck a fellow professional's career does not blame Thierry Henry's attempts at cheating.

Keane's tackle on Haaland amounted to GBH.

Diddnt our friend roy spend a few million on mcshane. What about his total lack of respect for shay given.

what about your total overreation to his comment about the goalkeeper? you would swear he questioned his right to life ffs

Good point...

How does anybody know he was on about Mcshane?

eeeehhhmmm......who brought McShane to Sunderland? Who put McShane in the fcuking shop window for potential selection?

However, I'm not really surprised that someone who intentionally went out to wreck a fellow professional's career does not blame Thierry Henry's attempts at cheating.

Roy Keane. When he still had potential he was brought to Sunderland, after performing vey well for West Brom, and he was already an Irish international at that stage.

if it amounted to GBH why was he not charged with it?

He didnt finish the lads career, he had to retire cause of the other knee. nothing to do with Roy unfortunately for the anti Keane brigade

• Advertisement

what about your total overreation to his comment about the goalkeeper? you would swear he questioned his right to life ffs

If you listen to the interview you will find he mentions our center foward as robbie. Dont try tell me roy dosent have a total dislike for shay given. Fact

Selection ? being irish doesn't equate to selection at times ya know ?

He is , even Mr Alan would agree to that and that's saying something..
    However, I'm not really surprised that someone who intentionally went out to wreck a fellow professional's career does not blame Thierry Henry's attempts at cheating..
    Intentionally wreck ? Seriously , do you get 50 post just to make unjustified rants here now ?Keane intentionally tried to end his career by hurting him in the leg that didn't end his career ?
    It was nasty and bannable which it actually ended up as.

Gbh ? now you are just being a bitter piss taker.

If you listen to the interview you will find he mentions our center foward as robbie. Dont try tell me roy has a total dislike for shay given. Fact

yeah.....your no making sense anymore so im gonna say goodnight to you ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He didnt finish the lads career, he had to retire cause of the other knee. nothing to do with Roy unfortunately for the anti Keane brigade

i wouldn't get into the 'keane's shady past debate'.

i don't know why he wasn't charged, but he admitted he set out to injure him, so i don't know what else you'd call it. he didn't play the ball. so if it was on the street, guess what it would have been...something close to assault.

and on the second part of your post, the poster you're quoting never said anything about the end of the career not being caused by the other knee; just that Keane set out to hurt Haaland's career. which, seen as he set out to 'do' him, he did in essence.

defend Keane on today's comments, fair enough, that's more than arguable, but not the haaland incident.

yeah.....your no making sense anymore so im gonna say goodnight to you ok

Good night to you too. I'm no anti roy keane brigade by the way. Just quoting facts you were looking for. Sleep well.

Would Roy Keane ever be a suitable replacement for Eamonn Dumphy when the Dumph retires

• Advertisement

Just quoting facts
    You quoted nothing of the sort.

Quote the facts to the shíte you already p[osted and enlighten us please.We don't deal with heresay and whatnot just facts. You offered to base your opinion on them , no ?

Roy Keane. When he still had potential he was brought to Sunderland, after performing vey well for West Brom, and he was already an Irish international at that stage.

As I have said repeatedly. Keane is a legend of a footballer. His opinions expressed at the press conference today were full of inconsistencies, hypocrisy and contradiction.

a) Get over it lads and then goes on a rant that he didn't get a phone call in Saipan. Jesus, it was like a BT commercial..."it would've been good to talk."
    b) He constantly espouses the ethos of giving 100% and then slates the Irish players after arguably one of the greatest displays by an Irish team in 10 years.
    c) slates the Irish defense and goalkeeper while presiding over one of the worst starts to a campaign by a club in the Championship.
    d) He talks about dignity and respect yet during his career displayed anything but to his fellow professionals as well as referees.

On another note, I'd say Dr. Cal Lightman (from the series Lie to Me starring Tim Roth) would have a field day interpreting Keane's facial expressions. You could see a mixture of all the worst/negative human emotions; anger, contempt, hatred, disdain. Keane obviously hasn't got over Saipan and events in the autumn of his career. Methinks that until he does his managerial career will be a litany of failures.

BTW, I would love to see Roy Keane manager of Ireland (some day and after seeing a professional anger management counselor). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Although he did kick Southgate in the face while he was on the ground receiving treatment - 1995 FA Cup semi final replay.

Is this the type of mental toughness he talks about?

He also criticised the players and management in not putting the game away.

If only that was as easy when playing France ffs.

I mean why can't Ipswich put teams away in the same way??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Would Roy Keane ever be a suitable replacement for Eamonn Dumphy when the Dumph retires

+1

Why wait until then, lets get them together now on the panel.

d22ontour wrote: »

Gbh ? now you are just being a bitter piss taker.

Jesus, calm down. I gave an opinion.

The tackle could be described as despicable with the intent of causing serious damage. The fact that it didn't has no bearing. It's the intent.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement