Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keanes Comments, [Mod Warning Post #146]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

newblue08 wrote: »
    From Sky Sports website:

Roy Keane has issued a typically bullish retort to those who feel Republic of Ireland deserve a replay following their controversial World Cup play-off defeat to France.
    Fifa have ruled against the Football Association of Ireland's appeal to have Wednesday's second leg in Paris replayed on the grounds France's equaliser on the night, which sent them through 2-1 on aggregate, came via a clear handball from Thierry Henryspacer.gif before he set up William Gallas.spacer.gif
    Keane,spacer.gif never a man to mince his words, has precious little sympathy as feels Ireland have only themselves to blame for missed opportunities over the two games. The FAI, and in particular chief executive John Delaney,spacer.gif remain personae non gratae in Keane's eyes.
    "I've been amazed by the commotion over the past few days. I think of course Henry handled it but I'd focus on why they didn't clear it," Keane told Sky Sports News.
    "I'd be more annoyed with my goalkeeper and defenders than Thierry Henry. How can you let a ball bounce in the six yard box? How can you let Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball bounces in the six yard bounce I'd be saying 'where the hell is my goalkeeper?'"
    Asked whether he had sympathy for Ireland's players he said: "No. Not one bit.
    "You look over the course of the campaign and Ireland had the chances of over the two games, they never took them.
    "They never performed in the first game. I heard a few interviews after the game where the manager said that none of the players got booked. Maybe that was the problem. They stood off France, the second leg we had opportunities to score but didn't take them.
    "They weren't mentally strong enough. All these players can complain all they want. France are going to the World Cupspacer.gif - get over it."
    Run-ins

Keane, who throughout his playing days with the national side had numerous run-ins with the FAI, has been forthright again in his criticism of the organisation.
    "Usual FAI reaction: 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...'
    "In one of the earlier group games, I think it was against Georgia, Ireland got a penalty. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. It changed the course of the game. Robbie (Keane) scored a penalty and Ireland went on to win it. I don't remember the FAI after the game saying 'I think we should give them a replay'."
    Keane continued his withered tirade by pinpointing FAI chief Delaney as being a figure who deserves only disdain. The Ipswich boss fell out with Delaney after he decided to quit Ireland's World Cup campaign in 2002 following a bust-up with then manager Mick McCarthy.spacer.gif
    "John Delaney? He's on about honesty and integrity. I wouldn't take any notice of that man.
    "People forget the last time I was at the World Cup in 2002. People seem to forget what was going on at that World Cup. I was one of the players, he didn't have the courtesy to ring me. He got interviewed and all he said was 'I don't know where he is'.
    "I'd been with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't even have the decency to ring me. He could have phoned me, tried the hotel room.
    Honesty

"And he's on about the honesty of the game."
    The failure of the match officials to spot Henry's handball has led to renewed calls for video technology to be introduced but while agreeing with the idea in principle, Keane is loath to join those campaigning for a replay.
    "They should have cleared it, they should have cleared the ball. Where were the defenders? The ball bounced in the six-yard box.
    "We've had this discussion before, we all agree with that. There is no getting away from it, but this idea that Ireland were robbed and deserved a replay, no.
    "I think the Irish supporters probably deserve better, the manager, probably most of the players deserve it.
    "But I don't think the FAI deserve better. What goes around comes around."
    Keane concluded by offering his support to Henry, with the outspoken Irishman of the opinion there are far worse perpetrators of cheating in the game than the Frenchman.
    "I think it was instinctive. I think sometimes you go for the ball, stick your hand out, leg, whatever it might be. Would I call him a cheat? No, I don't think so. I think he bent the rules but we are seeing cheating in games all the time, players diving.
    "When I'm asked about it, I say the game is full of it."

Read that and then come back to me. Please don't attack me. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

SlickRic wrote: »

i don't know why he wasn't charged, but he admitted he set out to injure him, so i don't know what else you'd call it.

Coming from you i am surprised but in the book he admitted to seeking revenge on him. He admitted to fouling him.

he didn't play the ball. so if it was on the street, guess what it would have been...something close to assault.

What street would this be ? I could be pedantic and say is it the 2 footed lunge with intent to injure from Gerrard in the merseyside derby but this is different because it's in a book.This is why your club comes across as pathetic to us moreso ya know.If Gerrard writes a book saying he meant the 2 footed lunge it would be fine with you i suppose ?

We know Keane meant to hit/foul/hurt him but yet you seem to think it's above anything that hasn't been write in a book ?
    and on the second part of your post, the poster you're quoting never said anything about the end of the career not being caused by the other knee; just that Keane set out to hurt Haaland's career. which, seen as he set out to 'do' him, he did in essence.
    So by fouling him he hurt his career how ?
    efend Keane on today's comments, fair enough,

He was right almost 100% though in what he said ? Wait , you think we will get a replay , no ?

that's more than arguable, but not the haaland incident.

Now i just know you are a bitter ,you are disregarding legal ramifications are blaming Keane on ending a career which didn't actually happen ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

people seem to forget 2 major things

keane fell with mccarthy out in saipan over a terrible pitch, no balls being there and a total lack of committment/professionalism

keane left utd because players were being paid as if they owned the world, and didnt give a sh1te on the pitch

keane is aman among men , i love him him and i love everything he stands for

yes me may come across as a bitter cnut, but tbh i wud be bitter than support john delaney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I dont understand why people pay much attention to Keane.So what he kicked ball at Manchester united?Thats a long time ago now.He walked away from Sunderland with his tail between his legs when he was a manager all because of HIS poor performance.His current role in charge of Ipswich is despicable,his days are numbered in soccer!He just makes me laugh at this stage.

Roy Keane is long past the stage of the "quitting while your ahead" Scenario;and its about time that more people realise that he has/is no authority in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pro. F wrote:
    I'll have to watch it again tomorrow when i get the chance. The way i remember it Squilaci got a glance on it, or at least got very close to it.

The point still stands about Given being right to not go wide of his post when McShane was under it.
    Just watched it again a few times on Sky News there. Squilaci got his head very close to the ball, possibly got a tiny glance on it but didn't change the direction. Either way it didn't effect the point that the direction the ball came in and where it went (wide of the post) meant that Given was right to not come for it. Keane is just spewing his bitterness at Given for whatever perceived slight he caused him in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

nuxxx wrote: »

keane fell with mccarthy out in saipan over a terrible pitch, no balls being there and a total lack of committment/professionalism

keane left utd because players were being paid as if they owned the world, and didnt give a sh1te on the pitch

yes me may come across as a bitter cnut, but tbh i wud be bitter than support john delaney

keane fell out with mccarthy a hell of a long time before saipan, and left utd cos he was shown the door. i seriously doubt he wanted to leave at all. boyhood dream or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

The guy will say anything to distract from his own teams shambolic start to the season,it would appear his rant is working considering the 7 page topic here not to mention the sky coverage. From what i can see he rants and raves a lot without actually saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

A lot of people seem to think he brought the subject up, he was asked these questions, and answered honestly and clearly passionately.

Regardless of what you think of the person, in my opinion, a lot of what he had to say was absolutely bang on. I'm no big Roy Keane fan.

The people calling him bitter should really take a look closer to home.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I personally think he was absolutely spot on with alot of his comments, bar the comment about Given coming out to collect the ball. McShane fcuked that one up. It's a pity he had to bring Saipan up, but I think it was more to get at Delaney than anything else, which is 100% fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Fenix wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think he brought the subject up, he was asked these questions, and answered honestly and clearly passionately.

Regardless of what you think of the person, in my opinion, a lot of what he had to say was absolutely bang on. I'm no big Roy Keane fan.

people are bitter because of some gamesmanship on wednesday night that could've robbed us of a summer of ecstacy and agony. could've, because there's no guarantee that we still would've won the penalties.
    roy is bitter over something that happened a long time ago, whether it's when mick mccarthy told him to kop on in the us cup in 93(?) or when the fai appointed him in 95, but saipan was just the end of it. roy just bears grudges badly. we'll have forgotten about this next weekend, unless france do well in the summer or course, but at least then the whole world will keep bringing it up!!
    it's time for roy to deal with his problems as soon as possible and not dwell on them for 10 or 15 years.
    hmmm maybe ipswich will have a defense to talk about in 2020??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Keane seems to forget that however dubious the peno was Keith Andrews had a perfect goal ruled as offside earlier on in the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

too many cheap shots mate, i have to reply....
    d22ontour wrote: »
    Coming from you i am surprised but in the book he admitted to seeking revenge on him. He admitted to fouling him.

i've read the book. twice. it was more than fouling. he said he set out to 'do' him.
    What street would this be ? I could be pedantic and say is it the 2 footed lunge with intent to injure from Gerrard in the merseyside derby but this is different because it's in a book.This is why your club comes across as pathetic to us moreso ya know.If Gerrard writes a book saying he meant the 2 footed lunge it would be fine with you i suppose ?

you 'could be pendantic' by mentioning Gerrard? well you did, so guess what you're being. that Gerrard tackle was horrendous, and if he meant to 'do' the everton player in question, then i'd feel the same way as i do about the keane one.
    We know Keane meant to hit/foul/hurt him but yet you seem to think it's above anything that hasn't been write in a book ?

i don't know what you mean here to be honest. he set out to really hurt him. he's said this.
    So by fouling him he hurt his career how ?

again, it wasn't just a foul. and again i didn't say the tackle actually hurt his career, but that he set out to in the fact he tried to 'do' him.
    He was right almost 100% though in what he said ? Wait , you think we will get a replay , no ?

no i don't think we'll get a replay. i think the majority of what keane said is true in this instance, but he came across as bitter and twisted saying it, letting himself down.
    Now i just know you are a bitter ,you are disregarding legal ramifications are blaming Keane on ending a career which didn't actually happen ..

how am i bitter? i've put forward what Keane said in terms of Haaland in his book; his motives, what happened etc. you've somehow brought Gerrard into it to try and make me out to be some sort of fake moral beacon; a moral beacon im not even trying to be.

i agree with Keane, but by the tone of his comments, believe he needs to take some of his own advice and 'get over it'.

i've nothing to be bitter about. i respect him greatly as one of the greatest players ever, and certainly the best to come from our country.

now, calm down please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

kryogen wrote: »
    i have said, i blame McShane primarily-getting tired of repeating myself- but if you dont think Given has any blame to shoulder then there really snt much point in discussing it with you any further

Goalkeepers are expected to come and deal with balls into the 6 yard box, if that doesnt register with you then fair enough. but im not gonna go round in circles with you about it

Shay Given can only deal with what he is dealt...........
    He was dealing with the ball that was going out until the ball was thrown from the side of the goal onto Henry's right foot.
    Shay Given is a star and I won't sit back here and listen to people blame him for a goal that was going nowhere until it was basically thrown across goal after he had commited himself to the right hand side of the goal.

He was dealing perfectly well with it the ball until the angles totally changed with the ball being handled. GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

I especially won't hear it when it is spouted from the vitriolic gob of "Roy Keane".
    Bitter little man
    This week he has totally confirmed everything I have ever thought of him.....Petty and vindictive.
    I've said my bit and now I am stepping away from giving anymore of my valuable weekend time discussing the likes of roy keane.

Small man deserves small letters:D.

I wish him all the luck he deserves at Ipswich:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fenix wrote: »

So you think he still not bitter? Bringing up an incident that happened 7 years ago? By all means say what he had to say about the France game but will he get over the World Cup incident...NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kryogen wrote: »
    i understand that Henry wanted to do anything he could to get France through, that he saw an opportunity and in the heat of the moment he grabbed it, so to speak. It was a split second thing, and though the second movement to the ball was deliberate and inexcusable it is surely understandable to people why he did it?

My god.

When you put this with your comments about McShane and Given then I wonder who you think actually broke the rules of the game.

Huh?

I remember when it looked like he scored, but it actually went wide.

You know which game we are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

noodler wrote: »
    You know which game we are talking about?

I had blanked most of the midweek game and then it came back.

You quoted me before I deleted my post!

Damn you internet ninja!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

nuxxx wrote: »

Horsemanure of a post above.

Ireland showed more commitment and passion than any other team in 2002 - fact!

He didn't leave Utd - he was sacked and shown the door by SAF.

Despite what Roy says John Delaney wasn't the main man at the FAI in 2002 so he wasn't his role to ring him and wish him well when 21 other professionals were prepared to make spill their guts for Ireland.

Plus where now the high standards at Ipswich?
    Where were the high standards at Sunderland - 80m stg and 19th place.
    Roy is a man lost in his own preserved sense of raging bitterness - fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports to Roy Keane:

"Get over it!"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

"Get over it!"
    They fairly took the piss out him! Mersons facial hair...:D

Keane criticism of Given was wrong as well. Given is one of my favourite players and one of Irelands greatest, and it was NOT his fault France scored.

Roy is just bitter and attempting to settle a few scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Couldnt believe that reporter let his phone ring out when Keane told him to turn it off or put it on to silence. Roy may be a lot of things but a bit of decorum at press conference is in order. he is still the manager of Ipswich town regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Keane a sad has-been who wants to make every Irish player that will ever don a green shirt suffer for his own shortcomings as an Irisman brought on by his own behaviour. I think if I was an Ipswich supporter I would be asking him to shut up and put up and get on with the job in hand ....which he's been abysmal at so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

"Get over it!"

Like everyone else has I suppose.

I agree with keane apart for what he said about Given in this instance, though it is true that Given doesn't go for crosses, it's the main flaw in his game.

Keane is an Irishman and is as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. His position with Ipswitch is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

theres pros and cons from the interview...shouldnt have been harsh but it should have been defended better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Keane's an idiot. As a United fan I always liked him, but never revered him. He was never a part of our greatest side (since he left). But i have to laugh at his "get over it" comment. Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Advertisement

I say parent teacher meetings must be a hoot.
    Teacher (Must remember to put phone on silent, Must remember to maintain eye contact, must remember to put in transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I say parent teacher meetings must be a hoot.
    Teacher (Must remember to put phone on silent, Must remember to maintain eye contact, must remember to put in transfer

Brilliant

Must say Given pulled off a terrific save in game against Liverpool today. Keane was bang out of order there. Given has done so much for Ireland. Best keeper in past decade IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I am always a fan of Roy, even as a Liverpool supporter. I've read the books and argued his/the point vigorously with some of my best friends and family 'til the wee hours of the morning on more than on occasion. To me, his comments looked totally opportunistic, and unjust. We all know about his gripe with the Delaney and the FAI and the [mis]management of the Siapan 2002 debacle, but he'd no business questioning, as he did the player's performance on our side or the decisions they made on the night of the best performance any Irish side has ever turned out.

John Delaney hits back at "Sideshow Roy"
    FAI chief executive John Delaney today branded Roy Keane a “sideshow” and urged the former Republic of Ireland captain to “learn form the past, not live in it”.
    Keane was scathing of the FAI’s attempts to get the second leg of the World Cup play-off against France replayed this week and when telling the Irish team to “get over it”, he questioned Delaney’s integrity after the way in which he handled the 2002 Saipan issue.
    The current Ipswich Town manager was then sent home from Japan on the eve of the Wold Cup and he hasn’t forgotten the role Delaney played in it.
    The former Manchester United captain also said the Irish had only themselves to blame after Thierry Henry’s handball led to William Gallas’s crucial goal, because they defended the free-kick poorly and didn’t take chances of their own.
    Delaney, however, had little time for Keane or his comments when asked about them on Sky Sports this afternoon.
    "It's just a side show for me," he said. "We have all moved on from Saipan - Niall Quinn, Mick McCarthy, the FAI and all the players - but it seems to me that he hasn't.
    "It's time for him now, in my opinion, to learn from the past, not live in it.
    "I thought the images, which were shown around the world, of the press conference that he did, they were sad. It was sad to see a great former player reflected in the manner of what he did.
    "I think he needs to forget about Saipan and move on, because everyone else has."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that was nicely played by john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Roy Keane is a bitter bitter boy. He's the one who needs to get over it..captain of his country and walking out on us! and all that ,his comments last friday were disgraceful

Nice one, Delaney. Lets see Roy come up with a reply to that one....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Good reply, made Keane sound like spoiled kid smile.gifsmile.gif

Which is exactly what Keane is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I think Delaneys reply needs to be put to Roy Keane asap.

I'm off to buy some popcorn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Keane manages to do that by himself. Really let himself down badly yet again. I never liked the guy but even still i felt a bit sorry for him after that interview. Sad that a former great ends up looking like this.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Keane manages to do that by himself. Really let himself down badly yet again. I never liked the guy but even still i felt a bit sorry for him after that interview. Sad that a former great ends up looking like this.

Nah its hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Mr Alan wrote: »
    show me where Keane said that?

i believe his comment was about the defence & goalkeeper who should have done better with the whole incident (Dunne, Mc Shane & Given). i said the same at the time.

You do realise that Shay Given was the goalkeeper dont you?

Didnt he say that he would be asking questions of his goalkeeper and defence if he was the manager in that situation? Presumably when he says this it measns that he holds the defence at fault at least partially.

its hilarious.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm glad that Delaney pointed out the delicious irony in Keane telling people to "get over it" when he himself is still moaning about Saipan 7 years later.

Also funny that he'd criticise the defending, when the main culprit was someone he signed for Sunderland a few years back.

Good man Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I still think he's right in what he said. Ball should not have been allowed to bounce in the box. We really should just get over it too. Liverpool didn't get a replay when the ball hit the beach ball and there's about 4 or 5 big incidents like this a year which are quickly enough forgotten about. Because of what was at stake we can quite rightly feel aggrieved and I've joined all the facebook groups etc. on the subject but tbh, I know we aren't going to get a replay and we should've really put France away in normal time and eliminated any chance of this happening in the first place.

Also the FAI are still a joke and I feel some people on here criticising Keane for not getting over Saipan may not have gotten over it themselves with regards to their feelings towards Keane.

Liam O wrote: »
    Also the FAI are still a joke and I feel some people on here criticising Keane for not getting over Saipan may not have gotten over it themselves with regards to their feelings towards Keane.

Nope, not in the slightest.

Just a case of Keane losing whatever support he did had by taking out his personal vendetta against the players, fans and association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just a case of Keane losing whatever support he did had by taking out his personal vendetta against the players, fans and association.

sorry, where's this?

My thoughts exactly.

Liam O wrote: »
    I still think he's right in what he said. Ball should not have been allowed to bounce in the box. We really should just get over it too. Liverpool didn't get a replay when the ball hit the beach ball and there's about 4 or 5 big incidents like this a year which are quickly enough forgotten about. Because of what was at stake we can quite rightly feel aggrieved and I've joined all the facebook groups etc. on the subject but tbh, I know we aren't going to get a replay and we should've really put France away in normal time and eliminated any chance of this happening in the first place.

Yes must say Pool dealt very well with that Beach ball situation. We have all moved on from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When you're making John Delaney look clever, you know it's time to shut up.

Move on Roy.

Move on Roy.

This is his problem. He doesn't know when to shut up.

I'm really hoping this is going to break out into a full scale war of words.

• Advertisement

Move on Roy.
    When a reporter is letting his phone ring out in the middle of your press conference and ignoring your requests to turn it off, you know its time to shut up roy.

Advertisement