Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for top end compact-very confuses

• 20-11-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Panasonic FZ 28 which I like- great zoom, marco etc. but I want a camera to carry around for everyday use.
    I was thinking of Panasonic ZS1- compact, 12X optical....but I'm reading reviews for top end compacts that take better snaps. Like the
    Panasonic DMC-FX580,
    LX3,
    Ricoh CX2,
    Nikon Coolpix P6000
    Fujifilm F200EXR
    etc.
    Most of these don't have as great a zoom but reviews etc say they'll give better pics-Better in low light, wider aperture choice, Faster focus etc.

Anyone any advice from above cameras or similar? (I've looked at the buying guide here)
    Thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Good question...I suppose €400 max, unless there was something great a little bit above that.
    Ideally less but it's a long term investment so better to save up and break the bank.
    I'm open to look on Ebay, consider 2nd hand and have a friend in the USA so would also look over there as they're normally cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic FZ 28 which I like- great zoom, marco etc. but I want a camera to carry around for everyday use.
    I was thinking of Panasonic ZS1- compact, 12X optical....but I'm reading reviews for top end compacts that take better snaps. Like the
    Panasonic DMC-FX580,
    LX3,
    Ricoh CX2,
    Nikon Coolpix P6000
    Fujifilm F200EXR
    etc.
    Most of these don't have as great a zoom but reviews etc say they'll give better pics-Better in low light, wider aperture choice, Faster focus etc.

Anyone any advice from above cameras or similar? (I've looked at the buying guide here)
    Thanks,
    Patrick.

I think (price aside) that you're probably divided into two camps. At the top end are the compacts with APS sized sensors, either with interchangeable lenses (EVIL) or without. Then there's the compacts, like your panasonic, that have normal compact (ie, tiny) sized sensors. There's no point in buying another one of them, the panasonic by the looks of things is pretty capable, nothing you can buy in that category will give you noticeably better quality low light wise.

Focus wise I'd say they're all much the same, in practice I'd say all those compacts are equally as capable (or incapable compared to SLRs) including the APS sensor sized ones, the focusing method stays the same.

So in short, if you're looking for better low light performance you'll probably have to go with one of the top end APS sensor models. regardless of the model focusing speed, shutter lag etc will probably remain the same. I'm not too sure what you mean by 'aperture choice'. If you're talking about being able to get narrower DOF then yeah the larger sensors will give that impression for any given scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd buy a Canon G9 or G10, there's a G11 just out but I haven't much info on it as of yet so can't comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Rb wrote: »
    I'd buy a Canon G9 or G10, there's a G11 just out but I haven't much info on it as of yet so can't comment.

The problem is that, while a little more compact, it won't give him better performance in low light, faster autofocus, or a wider aperture choice. Or at least not to any noticeable degree. If I was getting a compact off the bat I'd probably pick up a G10 or G11 (or the S90, at least if it had a hotshoe or PC connection :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was thinking of Panasonic ZS1- compact, 12X optical....

I've a TZ6 (ZS1) and while it's very capable with fairly good low light capability it does not have a manual mode nor can you shoot RAW.

It's not a bad little compact and seems fairly well constructed but dropping down from a dSLR (carry about purposes ) lack of the above mentioned manual mode the dreaded shutter lag can be frustrating.

Advertisement