Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision on which kindle to buy and how?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'm in the market for a kindle but I'm not sure which one to get. I also have an uncle coming from the US for christmas so I have a few options.

1. ) Get my uncle to bring me the Kindle DX (9.7 inch one) from the US

2. ) Get him to bring me the normal Kindle (6 inch one) to avoid import duty 21%

3. ) Buy the normal Kindle from the Amazon website.

If I go for option 3 does the kindle have free 3G access over here.
    If I get it brought over from the states instead of buying it on the website do I still get free 3G access if the above question is true.

Say I go for the DX. Amazon say they will be releasing this version internationally in the new year, will it have 3G access when this happens even if I buy one now from the US now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

Not positive, but I think only the international version supports 3G. I use the iPhone app and their Whispersync which requires wifi access to get books. Since they're still selling two different 6" Kindles I doubt the DX will magically become 3G capable at a later date. It's definitely worth getting it brought over to you to avoid the customs & VAT though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emsy1185

Hi all,
    I plan to buy a kindle as I'm very interested in reading...the problem is I'm tecnically dumb!!! I just want one really to download books, papers etc! When looking them up, I notice 3g ones, wireless, kindles with keyboards...ahhhhhh!!! Is there anyone out there who could explain which one would suit myself and what are the advantages of 3g and wireless on a kindle?! Thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

3G + WiFi version: you can browse and buy from the Amazon store from anywhere i.e. when you're out and about

WiFi only version: you can browse and buy only when you're at home or near a free wireless hotspot

The non keyboard version has a 5 way controller and you use this to type via the on screen keyboard for searching for books in the store and the likes

The keyboard version has an actual physical. keyboard making it easier to type on the Kindle.

Which version you get is really down to your preferences. I have the keyboard version as I imagine having to navigate the on screen keyboard with directional buttons would be a bit of a chore.

Thanks Brian017, great help :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just to counter the 3G and keyboard things as being "great"...

How many times do you see yourself sat in the middle of nowhere with the sudden urge to just have to buy the latest copy of a book that you'd forgotten to buy before leaving on your holidays? If a lot then the 3G is useful, if not then wifi only is more than enough.

How many times do you see yourself needing to write things in books or even type out search terms on a keyboard of an ereader? Do you really need the keyboard?

The fourway scroller thing is plenty sufficient for navigating the books loaded on the Kindle, and if you want to do a search for a particular book on Amazon then it is probably easier to do from a desktop browser anyway, buy it from there and next time you turn on the Kindle it will magically appear.

Not trying to say don't get the 3G and keyboard ones, just think do you actually need the bigger device? (Would normally go for the most feature laden devices myself, but really didn't see the usefulness in getting those extras on the Kindle)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

^^^^ good points.

Am I right in saying that the one with the keyboard has twice the battery life and twice the memory than the other one? Also I know the one with the keyboard has an audio option for listening to a book, while the other I think doesn't - is that right?

The memory issue is not that big a deal as even the lower memory level is still more than enough in fairness. If the battery level is that much less it would be an issue as I intend buying one for the missus who will use it alot! While the audio option would be very handy I think.

Can someone confirm if the above is true, as I am only picking up bits of info here and there. ( far from an expert)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Should show a comparison on this page:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6-Ink-Display/dp/B0051QVF7A/

Memory:
    Wifi only: 2 gb
    keyboard: 4gb

Battery (they calculate this in terms of page turns per day, but don't know what number they use)
    wifi only: 1 month
    keyboard: 2 month

Thanks Robinph...some great advice there :-)

Advertisement