Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Volunteers

Options
  • 20-11-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I just watched the news and saw how bad some parts of galway have been flooded.

Does anyone know if they are looking for volunteers to help with filling sandbags / clearing debris etc.. as it looks like more heavy rain forecast for tomorrow.

I have rang the county council, but got no answer. My local politican thanked me for the offer, but said there was little that could be done at the moment, but that he would keep my number. I don't have any heavy machinary to offer, but perhaps others do. I am sure we can all do a bit.

If anyone knows a number to contact to offer assistence then post it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

+1
    I've recently been made redundant, so I do have time on my hands and I've been asking around if and where help is needed and I too haven't received any answers yet, I'm very surprised. I also don't have any machinery but I have two strong hands and could shovel or fill sand bags or direct traffic since I have a good knowledge of the local roads. If anyone knows of anyway I could help out, please let us know!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Fair play to you both...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We've been doing work for the past few days through the Civil Defence. You need to join an organisation like this to 'get the call', failing that if you see a group of people shovelling... just join them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We've been doing work for the past few days through the Civil Defence. You need to join an organisation like this to 'get the call', failing that if you see a group of people shovelling... just join them!

hear hear. if you have wet gear, wellies and a shovel you will not only be welcome but of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno about Ireland, but in some countries you'll only be allowed to work in disaster zones if you have an Orange (or some colour, I can't remember which) Responder card, which means you've been vetted (they don't want folks with certain criminal records having access to people's houses) trained how to work safely (an injured off-the-street volunteer is the last thing they need to deal with during the disaster).

As John says ... join an organisation.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Dunno about Ireland, but in some countries you'll only be allowed to work in disaster zones if you have an Orange (or some colour, I can't remember which) Responder card, which means you've been vetted (they don't want folks with certain criminal records having access to people's houses) trained how to work safely (an injured off-the-street volunteer is the last thing they need to deal with during the disaster).

As John says ... join an organisation.

nobody in CD has been vetted, they have no ID or responder card. their trainning can be very hit and miss.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    nobody in CD has been vetted, they have no ID or responder card. their trainning can be very hit and miss.

Source?

CD does very comprehensive training (from what i've seen anyhow). You DO get an ID card from the PHECC when you pass certain First Aid courses.

In summary, you're talking sh1te. Also, JustMary was talking about 'some countries' - 'some countries' does not include Ireland

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Source?

CD does very comprehensive training (from what i've seen anyhow). You DO get an ID card from the PHECC when you pass certain First Aid courses.

In summary, you're talking sh1te. Also, JustMary was talking about 'some countries' - 'some countries' does not include Ireland

own experience. maybe I am talking ****e. over the last decade I have been working in three different units in different parts of the country and no one had ID.
    you do get a cert for doing a course
    the training is more often than not very average. it does of course depend on the unit.

Must have been bad luck with the unit :(

Have to say i'm well impressed from what i've seen.

BTW, i've seen people's ID's first hand... thing is I can't remember if it was CFR, OFA or EFR

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From another poster in GC
    pclaffey wrote: »
    With the recent flooding in Ireland we thought it would be good idea to setup a central place for people to post ‘Offers of Help’ to all those affected.

You might just be able to offer just a few hours of your time to help with the cleanup up of a house, or maybe some furniture or your business might be able to help in some way.

If everyone could offer something small I am sure it would mean a lot to those affected, even if just a message of support.

The website is http://www.offersofhelp.com, if you could pass this on to all your friends and family by email, twitter, facebook etc it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

im with galway city civil defence, i only have the bls covered which is the most basic qualification and i have a card to prove who i am and who i done the course with which was also issued by the american heart association. the other members who are more qualified have the same type of card but instead are registered with phecc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭flazio

brembo26 wrote: »
    im with galway city civil defence, i only have the bls covered which is the most basic qualification and i have a card to prove who i am and who i done the course with which was also issued by the american heart association. the other members who are more qualified have the same type of card but instead are registered with phecc*.

*PHECC Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council, basically the standard setters for all Ambulance personnel be they professional or voluntary.

Advertisement