Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking on the path

• 20-11-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Just recieved a "fixed charge offence" letter is the post, not what I was expecting walking in the door on a Friday night. Yes I was parked where it states, but I never heard of anybody getting do for that, I wasn't blocking the pathway or anything. So I will just have to pay thye fine, just wondering anyone here ever get done for parking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Was it issued by a Garda or a traffic warden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sounds like a traffic warden type offense, but it is I believe against the law. However it is (in Dublin anyway) an offense to park in a "car" parking space so it is generally overlooked.

We are straying into territory of what is against the Law and what is against a bye law (CoCo offense), so will know more when the OP posts back.

If it is a Bye Law offense these can be queried and quashed. If it is a Garda offense it is more serious but it is not a penalty point offense as far as I'm aware so at worst it's a fine.

nereid wrote: »
    Sounds like a traffic warden type offense, but it is I believe against the law. However it is (in Dublin anyway) an offense to park in a "car" parking space so it is generally overlooked.

We are straying into territory of what is against the Law and what is against a bye law (CoCo offense), so will know more when the OP posts back.

If it is a Bye Law offense these can be queried and quashed. If it is a Garda offense it is more serious but it is not a penalty point offense as far as I'm aware so at worst it's a fine.

Yea basically, Gardia can fine you for parking on a path but rarely bother to if you're not in the way. It is against regulations for a traffic warden to ticket you if you're not using a car space so bring that ticket back into their main office and tell them what to do with it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Yea basically, Gardia can fine you for parking on a path but rarely bother to if you're not in the way. It is against regulations for a traffic warden to ticket you if you're not using a car space so bring that ticket back into their main office and tell them what to do with it ;)

If it was a warden there would have been a ticket on the bike, would that be correct? First I knew of it was the letter tonight, so I'm thinking it wad the Garda which stikes me as unusal.

In case anyone else uses the area in was in Tallaght village.

Odysseus wrote: »
    If it was a warden there would have been a ticket on the bike, would that be correct? First I knew of it was the letter tonight, so I'm thinking it wad the Garda which stikes me as unusal.

In case anyone else uses the area in was in Tallaght village.

If it came through the post I'd say it was the Gardai, might want to check with your local station to be sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If it came through the post I'd say it was the Gardai, might want to check with your local station to be sure though.

Cheers I'll give them a buzz on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cheers I'll give them a buzz on Monday.

They provide a 24 hour drop in service you know...

Well apart from Tuesday (next)... but even then there should be someone willing and able to answer any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Since you cannot legally park in car spaces, you can have the fine quashed if there were no motorcycle parking bays with reasonable distance.

A friend of a friend did this (apparantly).

However, if you were blocking a fire exit or causing an obstruction to pedestrians, then you'll just have to pay the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Since you cannot legally park in car spaces,
    huh? When did that come into law. I presume vans cant park in them either since its a car space and not a van space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I wasn't blocking the pathway or anything.

I've been a biker for a loooooooong time and I never, ever park on a footpath. I don't know when a visually impaired pedestrian or a wheelchair user will want to get by.

• Advertisement

I don't know when a visually impaired pedestrian
    Either do they :)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Either do they :)

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

huh? When did that come into law. I presume vans cant park in them either since its a car space and not a van space.

I've heard this a few times - thats why they had to let bikes park on the central medium on O'Connell st. again after they got rid of the space beside pennys for those push bikes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I've been a biker for a loooooooong time and I never, ever park on a footpath. I don't know when a visually impaired pedestrian or a wheelchair user will want to get by.

Don't block a path and you're grand. If you're in dublin and lookign for a proper motorcycle space, prepare to have to walk a lot! There's 2 I know of in the whole city, and they don't even have anything to lock your bike to.
    I don't think you can use car parking spaces cos there's nowhere on a bike to put your printout thingy.

jameshayes wrote: »
    I've heard this a few times - thats why they had to let bikes park on the central medium on O'Connell st. again after they got rid of the space beside pennys for those push bikes...
    Ah its a dublin law kinda thing? Im in waterford and never heard that law to be honest. Then again anywhere ya park down here is the centre of town:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ah its a dublin law kinda thing? Im in waterford and never heard that law to be honest. Then again anywhere ya park down here is the centre of town:)

It's one of those weird by-laws that was badly worded so that it technically bans non-cars from using car parking spaces. I'll try dig up the relevant documentation later when I have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It's one of those weird by-laws that was badly worded so that it technically bans non-cars from using car parking spaces. I'll try dig up the relevant documentation later when I have time.

I think It was also decided that bikes cannot be prosecuted in pay and display area's as the sticker would very easily blow away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Originally Posted by CrazyRabbit
    Since you cannot legally park in car spaces,

From Dublin City Council Bye-Laws:

Vehicles which may be parked in pay and display ticket parking place
    (1)
    Mechanically propelled vehicles only, of the following classes, may be parked in a ticket parking place during operational hours:
    a passenger vehicle with passenger accommodation for not more than twelve persons excluding the driver and not drawing a trailer or other vehicle;
    (2)
    a goods vehicle whose unladen weight does not exceed 3 tonnes and not drawing a trailer or other vehicle;
    (3)
    a large public service vehicle in a ticket parking place where traffic sign number RUS019 accompanied by an information plate containing the words “Except Buses - Ach Amháin Busanna” is provided;
    (4)
    a goods vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (2) of this Bye-Law, which is parked while goods are being actively loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding 30 minutes from the commencement of parking.

Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in pay and display ticket parking places
    A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place.

Just recieved a "fixed charge offence" letter is the post, not what I was expecting walking in the door on a Friday night. Yes I was parked where it states, but I never heard of anybody getting do for that, I wasn't blocking the pathway or anything. So I will just have to pay thye fine, just wondering anyone here ever get done for parking?

I haven't heard of anyone being done for parking but slightly OT I've heard of one or two bikes done for not displaying a tax disc when parking in public.

jaysus ya learn something new every day. Poor bikers not allowed to use car parks. Thats a bit much really.
    Parked up one day a few years back and warden was walking past. I told him I had no ticket. He laughed and said he had never done a bike for no ticket before and he wasnt gonna start either. Sound warden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If there no designsted bike parking in the area I would ignore the fine and take it to court and explain this. More than likely it would be thrown out of court pending the position it was parked on the path.

I refuse to park my bike in car parking slots because they have been knocked over / damaged several times buy idiot cage drivers who dont know how to reverse or use mirrors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

vektarman wrote: »

Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in pay and display ticket parking places

A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place.

A bit confusing! I thought you couldnt park in pay and display spaces at all but the second sentence says you can outside operational hours? one comment contradicts the other! :confused:

faceman wrote: »
    A bit confusing! I thought you couldnt park in pay and display spaces at all but the second sentence says you can outside operational hours? one comment contradicts the other! :confused:
    Not actually a comment by me faceman, it's the DCC bye-laws but
    I agree, it is confusing, I was under the impression a motorbike couldn't use an on street parking space at any time. I don't park in Dublin city centre much myself but when I do I park on the central median in O'Connell street, especially since they removed the motorbike spaces in Princes Street for the Dublinbike scheme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

vektarman wrote: »
    Not actually a comment by me faceman, it's the DCC bye-laws but
    I agree, it is confusing, I was under the impression a motorbike couldn't use an on street parking space at any time.

Sorry I meant to reference it being from the bye laws :o
    I was of the same view of yourself.

Advertisement